Kitchen knife sharpening

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Evening,

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but tried using a honing steel rod and 1000,4000 Whetstone for about 15 minutes either side (for the Whetstone) and didn't make much of a difference, first time I've done it so not sure what people do or use...

If someone gets it done by other people that does good kitchen knife sharpening local to the midlands? Closer to Rutland the better let me know...

Got 6 knives that need some tlc... I'd rather they got done properly first then I can upkeep them with the honing steel and Whetstone... Had a go today and got nowhere so they must be quite blunt haha

Not expensive knives (maybe £30-50 each) but only 2 years old max.

IMG_20191125_132019-2320x1305.jpg

Any help would be spiffing.

Cheers

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Isn't the top one a butter knife? LOL.

Not really sure... although I did read that not all knives are made equal and it's not actually possible to sharpen some knives depending on how they were made.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
I’ve watched a few videos on YouTube and am gathering bits to make my own version of the lansky sharpener

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Isn't the top one a butter knife? LOL.

Not really sure... although I did read that not all knives are made equal and it's not actually possible to sharpen some knives depending on how they were made.
Haha too one is a carving knife only used at Christmas these days haha well the people who make the knives say its all good for sharpening so who knows...

I’ve watched a few videos on YouTube and am gathering bits to make my own version of the lansky sharpener

That would be awesome to make... Didn't even see them on my knife sharpening travels in YouTube lol I think my issue is that they're very blunt so they will take ages to sharpen first...

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Try starting with a diamond stone then move onto the whetstone, trick is to keep on the same angle throughout the stroke

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Try starting with a diamond stone then move onto the whetstone, trick is to keep on the same angle throughout the stroke

I'll have a look see cheers

I have a guide as it was my first time using the stone but found that it wasn't very functional on the utility knives which I care about the least so started with them lol I've seen places that do it for you for £5 a blade but some use Whetstones and others use a wheel which I assume is alot more abrasive...

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
One use one of the knife sharpening tools that are readily available, the thing you sit on the worktop and draw the knife blade through it between a pair of set stones, works great if the use of Elastoplast is anything to go by.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
One use one of the knife sharpening tools that are readily available, the thing you sit on the worktop and draw the knife blade through it between a pair of set stones, works great if the use of Elastoplast is anything to go by.
I've read that the on the top sharpeners take of more steel than most would like... I see good reviews but don't fancy doing something wrong and messing things up haha

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
Soak the stones and then pushing away sharpen from tip to ricasso 8 times a side repeated 4 times on the corse first then repeat with the finer grit. Wash the blade in between stones. Then you can strop it on a belt and for a razor sharp edge you can slowly drag the blade across the top of your car door glass.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Soak the stones and then pushing away sharpen from tip to ricasso 8 times a side repeated 4 times on the corse first then repeat with the finer grit. Wash the blade in between stones. Then you can strop it on a belt and for a razor sharp edge you can slowly drag the blade across the top of your car door glass.
I did exactly this (bar the belt) but I think my knives are so blunt it didn't do anything or I wasn't keeping the 20 degree angle... I may get a pro to do it the first time then keep them up now I know.

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
I did exactly this (bar the belt) but I think my knives are so blunt it didn't do anything or I wasn't keeping the 20 degree angle... I may get a pro to do it the first time then keep them up now I know.
Just keep repeating with the courser stone untill you see an edge, then hone with the finer grit

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Just keep repeating with the courser stone untill you see an edge, then hone with the finer grit
I did it for 10-15 minutes on either side for both 1000 and 4000 grit... Maybe I wasn't applying pressure hard enough lol

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
I did it for 10-15 minutes on either side for both 1000 and 4000 grit... Maybe I wasn't applying pressure hard enough lol
Yeah you've got to apply a little pressure but not excessively. I just use this i bought from tkmaxx years ago. Gives me a pretty decent edge
20191202_183723.jpg

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
1000 grit isn’t course enough for starting

Tell me more, I went with the most bought and best starter set type thing that did coarse and polish type stuff lol well that's what amazon reviews told me haha

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
I’ve got an old 600 stone that I lightly go over the edge once in a while. 5 mins with this and I use an Arkansas Stone (don’t know what grade though but it’s bloody smooth).

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I’ve got an old 600 stone that I lightly go over the edge once in a while. 5 mins with this and I use an Arkansas Stone (don’t know what grade though but it’s bloody smooth).

Do you also use a honing rod between sharpening?

I assume that stone isn't cheap haha

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members