Knocking/clunking noise at 1k rpm - sticking revs too?

gurpz94

Feb 12, 2019
I've recently picked up my 2010 LCR and I'm loving it so far. I've noticed a weird clunk noise though and can't seem to figure out what's causing it. When I'm driving and I press the clutch pedal, it'll stick or bounce off 1k rpm for a second, before going down to idle rpm.

The 2nd issue is at the 1k rpm there's a clunk from what seems like the front passenger side. It happens when I'm still or driving, whenever the car is going down in revs to 1k. It doesn't happen at any other revs in the whole range. I thought they may be linked because they both happen at the same time

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5g8ep8325ncynnz/VID-20190223-WA0001.mp4?dl=0 - Pop/clunk from engine bay
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4710glfvo0m1q9k/VID-20190223-WA0002.mp4?dl=0 - Revs sticking at 1k

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Nope. It's really weird. But seems to be coming from where your clutch / flywheel would be. Stupid thought though. You checked the exhaust hanger at the front of the car. On mine there's two bolts that hold it. One had fallen out. The other working loose. So every time I revved it. The exhaust clunked.

gurpz94

Feb 12, 2019
Thanks @Legojon I'll take a look at it tomorrow during the day when I can get under the car safely.

The clutch/flywheel were done about 6000 miles ago, but it could still be that. I only got the car 2 weeks ago so I'm trying to fix the niggles.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Not the best picture. But the black plate with the two red rubber bushes on the left of the pic. That's where the securing bolt fell out. Allowing it to twist when it revved. Also, does the sound go away if you rev it with the clutch dipped?

zNJKvGa.jpg

gurpz94

Feb 12, 2019
@Legojon is that more towards the passenger side or in the middle?

Just went for a spin, the noise is still there when the clutch is dipped. Whether it's in gear or in neutral, clutch pedal up or down, it makes the sound at 1k and revs seem to stick as it makes the sound

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Get the car in the air and inspect the suspension for play, you might have a bad bush or balljoint, it could be something as simple as a loose bolt.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.