Knocking from the back

Joens

Jan 18, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Hello, I've noticed that theres coming knocking noise from the back when going over speed bumbs. You can also hear small knocking noises when going low speeds over small pot holes or such. I've been inside the trunk and put pressure on the boot and I can confirm it doesnt come from the rearshocks. Its like golfball bouncing in the sparewheel mount. Havent found any objects that doesn't belong in the trunk though. Any ideas? Its really getting annoying..

Feb 25, 2009
Rotherham/Leeds
I had a similar problem with my Ibiza, thinking there was a knocking coming from the rear end of the vehicle. Had the car up on the ramp and checked out, and it wasn't coming from the rear at all! The fault was actually a front CV joint, low and behold changed it for a new one and knocking was cured. May be worth checking out. :)

tackleberry83

Mar 24, 2008
surbiton surrey
Joens said:
Hello, I've noticed that theres coming knocking noise from the back when going over speed bumbs. You can also hear small knocking noises when going low speeds over small pot holes or such. I've been inside the trunk and put pressure on the boot and I can confirm it doesnt come from the rearshocks. Its like golfball bouncing in the sparewheel mount. Havent found any objects that doesn't belong in the trunk though. Any ideas? Its really getting annoying..

Well let the person locked in your boot out then!!! Lol sorry couldn't resist it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 25, 2009
Rotherham/Leeds
Basically your best bet would be to have in the garage up on a ramp for a full check over, as the noise could be caused by a whole host of things and hopefully they can locate the issue!

Joens

Jan 18, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Doubt its droplinks. Installed V-maxx coilovers and v-maxx droplinks about 5000km's ago. Gotta check the car in ramp on saturday. I noticed that the panel on the rear next to wheel mount is missing clips and is bit loose.

boomhauwer

1.4 TDI Turbomotive :D
Feb 21, 2009
Belgium

the silver thingy above the shock absorber. I replaced that because it made a knocking/ticking sounds.
SDC10010.jpg

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Done a few of them top mounts now for noises and because its metal to metal contact its transmits around the car, took me a while to find the first one.

First though try folding the seats down and check that its not the seat catches.

Feb 25, 2009
Rotherham/Leeds
because its metal to metal contact its transmits around the car, took me a while to find the first one.

+1 to this! I was convinced my car was knocking from the entirely wrong end of it! So if it sounds like a metal clunking noise, it may sound 100% from your spare wheel bay, but could be from an entirely different location.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.