Kumho tyres anyone any experience?

matt l

Jan 28, 2008
currently looking at tyres as i will soon be taking off the winter tyres (hopefully).

seen the Kumho KU39's and would come out around £384 fully fitted for all 4 which isnt bad and the reviews come out pretty well.

I did have kumho tyres on my old ibiza and wasnt overly sold on them but then again the car itself was awful (imo) so could of been more that than the tyres.

I do have the standard bridgestone re050a's that could go back on but the 2 rears are slightly out of shape so would need 2 more but again i was never totally happy with these.

which ones would you go for out of Kumho / Bridgestone?

i am welcome to suggestions but sub £400 fully fitted.

edit - looking for 225/45/17 XL (speed rating to suit the FR 170 so think its like Y or something).

Last edited:

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
KU39le are superb for the price no complaints from me and ive done 16k on mine

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
Had them on my Skoda once and they were poor, they didn't grip any better than the previous tyre I had on, but they wore out a lot quicker. I didn't bother with them again.

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Just a quick one..

do you live near a Costco? or do you know anyone with a Costco card?

If so, Costco sell Michelin tyres and for michelin's 225/45/17 they are £125 each inc VAT fully fitted, new valves etc and Nitrogen inflation.

buy 4 at the same time and you get a 25% discount, so that falls to £100 per tyre, so £400 for 4 new Michelins fitted.

Michelins or Kumho's for roughly the same price....I know what I'd go for!!!!

matt l

Jan 28, 2008
Just a quick one..

do you live near a Costco? or do you know anyone with a Costco card?

If so, Costco sell Michelin tyres and for michelin's 225/45/17 they are £125 each inc VAT fully fitted, new valves etc and Nitrogen inflation.

buy 4 at the same time and you get a 25% discount, so that falls to £100 per tyre, so £400 for 4 new Michelins fitted.

Michelins or Kumho's for roughly the same price....I know what I'd go for!!!!

unfortunatly no and no :( think the closest one is manc or derby, but still dont know anyone with a card. .

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Matt.

Personal membership for Costco is less than 20 per year. May as well join yourself and reap the bargains.

You don't have to be self employed to me a member either.

matt l

Jan 28, 2008
Matt.

Personal membership for Costco is less than 20 per year. May as well join yourself and reap the bargains.

You don't have to be self employed to me a member either.

ahh cools, may take a look then, which michelin tyres are they? or is there anywhere that shows the offers?

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Last time i looked in store they were Michelin pilot sports. But they have others depending on the size.
The bigger the Tyre the sportier the type.
The smaller tyres are usually Michelin energy's.

Even so £500 For 4 new michelins fitted is good value without the discount for buying 4

try the Costco website mate and look for your nearest one. They'll have the tel numbers listed for the branches so you could ring and check.

They only sell Michelin tyres.

Last edited:

mudz-fr

Feb 1, 2012
Have a look at falken fk452's they are on par with the kumhos and get decent reviews. They are around £70-£80 per corner from camskill

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
Falken and Kumho are terrible tyres.

you can get Michelins pilto sporty 3 for not much under £100! get them from Camskill, then slip your local tyre fitter a 10er to fit. score.

Dearnie

Aug 16, 2011
Humberside
Had 4 kumho ku39's fitted last month, excellent tyres. Changed from dunlop sp Maxx TT which imo where crap for the price.

matt l

Jan 28, 2008
Falken and Kumho are terrible tyres.

you can get Michelins pilto sporty 3 for not much under £100! get them from Camskill, then slip your local tyre fitter a 10er to fit. score.

cheapest i can see on there is 122iirc (looked a while ago)

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
I have swapped my Goodyears F1 for Kumho KU37 and all I can say money well spend why spend twice as much and do not get anything better ?? there is one difference for me kumho are bit (not much) louder

This tyres are much better than Bridgestone or Pirelli and are on same level as Conti or Goodyear... this is my personal opinion

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
I went from Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s to Kumho KU39s and I was genuinely shocked at how good they were. I found them better than the Goodyear’s and I will definitely buy again.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
How long ago did you have the GSD3s? They one's you can currently buy are from China and are terrible in comparison to the old Germany produced variant, when they were the current model.

vincent5525

Mechanic
Jul 2, 2011
uk, sheffield
When buying tyres dont just go for the cheapest available. I wont tell you which tyre is the best because different people, drive different cars ,in different ways, in different conditions. So tyres are a very personal choice. But I will recommend CAMSKILL, then get your local tyre fitter to put them on for you. But make sure you buy the correct load index and speed rating for your car. BTW I have Toyos Proxes on my LCR.

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
How long ago did you have the GSD3s? They one's you can currently buy are from China and are terrible in comparison to the old Germany produced variant, when they were the current model.

I had 3 sets over approx 4 years, so I would have been running on the German ones.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members