Kumho tyres anyone any experience?

jimbo_h

just all torque
Jun 16, 2008
Melbourne
When buying tyres dont just go for the cheapest available. I wont tell you which tyre is the best because different people, drive different cars ,in different ways, in different conditions. So tyres are a very personal choice. But I will recommend CAMSKILL, then get your local tyre fitter to put them on for you. But make sure you buy the correct load index and speed rating for your car. BTW I have Toyos Proxes on my LCR.

Vince how do you find the proxies? I need 2 new fronts and I like to try a new type each time I need replacements. Currently got Falken FK452s, found them to be better than the original pirellis (which were pretty cr@p) and nearly as good as Conti SC3s (which were pretty good). Have had toyos before on my old VX220 and found them to be very good but they were the R1Rs which aren't the best for use as a daily:think:

Also do you have T1 Rs?

al20v

Mar 27, 2010
Had a set on a 172, not sure the model. But would never look at them again. They were only good for finding ditches.

Nath-leon

Jul 27, 2011
Carlisle
I had Falkens 452s on my corsa vxr and i thought they where brill nice n grippy, everyone has different tastes for tyres.

vincent5525

Mechanic
Jul 2, 2011
uk, sheffield
Vince how do you find the proxies? I need 2 new fronts and I like to try a new type each time I need replacements. Currently got Falken FK452s, found them to be better than the original pirellis (which were pretty cr@p) and nearly as good as Conti SC3s (which were pretty good). Have had toyos before on my old VX220 and found them to be very good but they were the R1Rs which aren't the best for use as a daily:think:

Also do you have T1 Rs?

I have the T1 Sports, and find them perfect for my driving style. But as Ive said before I dont push my car anywhere near its limits. I very rarely use WOT, and when I do its always over 40 mph it the dry. Also my car doesnt even know what a snow flake looks like.

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
I've never tried Falkens and I'm never going to however, there are far worse tyres out there than Kumho. . .

You should try the falkens fk452 they are the best out for the money and stick like glue to the road YOU should try them. You won't no until you try them? & then you won't look back..... Fact....(well in my eyes) ;-)

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Just put 2 Michelin Pilot Sport 3s on my LCR 225 - £282 incl vat and fitting through Blackcircles - well happy with them 1st time around so went for them again - brill in wet!

Zeap101

Apr 19, 2009
Northumberland
I'm a big Kumho fan. I've had loads of seats and loads of kumhos. I love them for price for performance and quietness.

Kumho escta 712's - rubbish but they are really cheap. Also had KU31's and KU39's - both quiet and grippy and a lot of tyre for the money. Rim protection is usually rubbish though and better on bigger brands.

I'm taking the winter tyres off next week so have just bought 4 x KU37's from camskill for less than £250 delivered (225/40/18) and i'm not worried on little bit.... i know they'll do the job spot on. Previously had dunlop sport maxx and they were no gripier than ku39's I had on a mk1 FR tdi (just more noise)

Don't buy tyres twice the price.. no one on here is driving their Seat i the BTCC!

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Tyres are so subjective, no one drives the same as the next guy so it's all opinion.

Fact is Kumho tyres don't perform as well in tyre tests as some more expensive tyres, but outperform others. You can spend a lot on a rubbish tyre though. In my opinion the 4 things making contact with the road are the most important thing.

Me? I stick to Goodyear Eagle F1 Assym 2s, as they perform as I expect them to, for a not unreasonable £116 a corner. Then again, I put winter tyres on for the same reason.

Last edited:

adam1811

Stockport - Black 2.0 TDI
Mar 18, 2011
Stockport
I am currently running Toyo Proxes T1R at all four corners of the car, i havent come accross many situations where these tyres have come unstuck. i have currently done around 16000 on this set which isnt too bad considering my driving style.
But i am of the same opinion that i like to try something new each time, but i would recommend the T1R's to anyone.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.