L8W FR - FR550 - Stage 2 - Hybrid Turbo to be fitted, Air Ride, Brembo 6pots

L8W FR

Aug 20, 2014
Hello, just starting a build thread for my FR550 so i can keep track of the progress and see how much it will change over my time owning the car. Basically.. being 21 a cupra was a no go for insurance, so the FR was the next best choice, 58 Plate FR550 in yellow, 57k miles and 1 owner from new, only thing done so far has been wind deflectors and a few little pieces for my key to tidy it up.. how exciting.

Looking to have it booked into EcoTune Scotland for Stage 1 After my warranty period is up EGR blank and DPF delete to see a fair gain in power and fuel consumption, and on the look out for a genuine BTCC kit or Triple R composite front splitter, rear diffuser and BTCC skirts which ever i find first really.

Having come from the "stance scene" with a bagged polo on bbs it wont be long until the leon is sitting lower, only on coilovers this timeas its less hassle and more practical for daily driving, unfortunately i cant upload pictures as im still service my "jail time" for being a newb..

Allan

Last edited:

Nialler FR

Aug 29, 2014
dont go the btcc route. old and tacky now. there plenty of threads here to steal ideas from :)

L8W FR

Aug 20, 2014
Car parts are starting to arrive slowly but surely.. just didnt realise DPM was on holiday for a week when i ordered some new parts!

L8W FR

Aug 20, 2014
Cars broke..

Loud "hissing" noise kicking in around 2000rpm and getting louder higher up the revs, when the car struggles it jumps and the coil light appears on the dash, which has caused the EML to come on too! no idea what it is, looked for boost leaks but no loose pipes and no wet spots on any of the pipes that would indicate a leak, and no hissing while the car is idling.

I assumed it would be a boost leak, but having looked into it, it could be numerous problems, been told it could be the turbo actuator, as well as other stuff, anyone had the same or know of a cure?

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Mine did this, was the hose that comes off the bottom of the EGR/ASV. The hose was still connected, just the black seal around the top had failed causing it to open and close so to speak when under load.

New hose sorted it. Might be an idea to have it scanned on VCDS.

Also the hissing on mine was as mentioned above the hose moving under load creating a gap between it and the EGR/ASV.

Last edited:

L8W FR

Aug 20, 2014
Genuinely hope this is the issue mate! if so you will be a life saver, was preparing to buy a new turbo/actuator as I couldn't find a split hose, will get it onto VCDS/VagCom as soon as I get a chance.

L8W FR

Aug 20, 2014
Will get a look at it tomorrow since it's the weekend, also have a few parts to fit while I'm at it :)

L8W FR

Aug 20, 2014
Soo the car.. Had it 4 weeks now, and so far this is the progress:

First up was wind deflector, cheap, and come in handy at times!

Then wheels..

Porsche Cayenne 19" wheels
9J ET 60 with 20mm adapters (ET40)
And custom centre caps

And last but not least, coilovers are sitting in my garage awaiting to be fitted this weekend!

L8W FR

Aug 20, 2014
Coilovers fitted, only got the cheap joms off DPM performance, had them on my bora and were comfy enough so for the sake of £180 I thought I would see how they were , comfy ride quality, but a tad too much body roll for my liking, so looking into stiffening it up more.
Edit: I still have to drop the front more to even it out, it's currently wound fully down, but I have a few tricks to get them lower.

On the other hand.. this thing is awesome!! around 380bhp from a PD170 the sound from it was amazing

Last edited:

L8W FR

Aug 20, 2014
It's a "limited edition" 550 made, came with Cupra hard back seats with FR logo, 18" wheels, USB under drivers seats for either iPod or USB and the 550 badges.

L8W FR

Aug 20, 2014

A picture I found from Sunday at knockhill on the "parade" lap, need to sort the body roll now, can see the rear wheel lifting off the ground in the picture.

L8W FR

Aug 20, 2014
There's not really a vast difference from the standard to the Joms, just avoid potholes and you will be ok, they aren't forgiving when you fit a pothole what the standard suspension is.

dannyboi91

Jun 23, 2014
Scotland, Fife
Car looks good, was up at knockhill on sunday myself, had the car on the N/A nonsense stand but had to leave before the parade lap unfortunately.

L8W FR

Aug 20, 2014
I was on N/A stand too buddy, only because I didn't know about the event until Thursday before it haha

They are fine for every day driving, comfortable enough to live with day in and day out

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.