Launch control

rocket_26_

Jul 29, 2004
Lincoln
I used LC at Santa Pod in September but it did light the wheels up. Still ran a 13.7 though on my second go. I did back the throttle of once I released the brakes and it started to spin. A bit of practice and I could get a better time I reckon.

raflo83

Dec 22, 2013
Wroclaw, Poland
Hi,
I have the issue wit LC in my Cupra 265. I turned off traction control completelly, Cupra mode (dsg S), pressed brake, kick down, then revs go to 3k more or less, so the procedure is active. Then realese the brake and...though traction control is comletelly off I see on the screen blinking icon of ESP (see the pciter below), At the end revs went to 4k, traction icon start blinking, revs dropped to 3k then went up to 6k, icon again, revs dropped etc. Do you know the reason why? If tracion if off completelly I shouldn't see that blinking icon.

raflo83

Dec 22, 2013
Wroclaw, Poland
no, it's not blinking all the time during LC. At the second attempt it just blinked once in 4k revs and then went smoothly. I have it turned off, that's why it's strange and seems to be partially active.

jimiC

Mar 3, 2015
South Derbyshire
i've only tried it once and had just the single yellow icon near the centre of the dial. all the ones i've seen on youtube are the same despite obvious wheel spin. no secondary flashing light.

Last edited:

kasperjensen

Apr 6, 2015
Malaga, Spain
I don't know what the roads are like for this in the UK, but here in Spain I have to find a reasonably new piece of road to be able to get the foot down. Most of the time it's a sort of balancing act on the throttle (which is highly enjoyable I must say).

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
Isn't it possible to somehow 'remap' what the launch control does? Is it a separate box or something? Ca't we take a better launch control SW from the audis for example?

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
Launch control in fwd car is always going to be entertaining ;)

true. Yet given that the car knows about wheel slippage, torque etc, it could do a much better job in maximizing torque conversion through the wheels. If a well trained pilot can achieve better times than LC, then LC should be able to achieve it as well.

BTW: I'd love to know the tyres that were used to achieve sub 6s acceleration with and without LC.

Bhoopoo

Aug 14, 2008
Surrey
Thanks
The info I need is how does it work, as the dealer never mentioned it when I took the car for my test drive (Just me and my partner had the car all afternoon) and I never noticed anything about it. is it hidden away in the profile settings, does the handbook explain it.

Launch Control is explained on page 172 of my Cupra 290 Manual.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Assuming LC (with DSG) does consistently 5.5-5.8s for 0-62, what was your best time w/o? And what tyres?

Stock on Goodyear Asymmetric 2's all-round, with ESP Sport on and no launch control, I could do a 5.5. Now that I have a tuning box, that's dropped to 5.2 seconds consistently. I've had 5.0 seconds dead.

In the wet, I don't even bother. And I don't touch launch control.

And to be honest, the Cupra is more a rolling start car than a 0-62 car.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.