Layer of ice on windscreen - inside

Jan 18, 2019
So this morning was pretty icy. My Leon 1.5 ecomotive 2010 had a decent layer of ice on the inside of the windscreen.

It doesn't seem to leak around the door seals when it's raining and the carpet doesn't seem damp, but obviously moisture is getting in from somewhere. Is this a known problem anyone can advise me on?

cheers

brian1912

May 7, 2017
Mines was exactly this same this morning only difference I found is mines was in the garage getting work done and you can see where they have wiped there hand on the inside of the window maybe needing w good clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Yeah, same. I always get it... on both Leons. In fact, I'm pretty sure I had it on the previous one as well.

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Just a pointless statement by myself, my mum has a mk1 Leon and she's had to defrost the inside of the car, it's bloody bizarre and annoying. My mk2 has had it very slightly but nothing too major.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Just a pointless statement by myself, my mum has a mk1 Leon and she's had to defrost the inside of the car, it's bloody bizarre and annoying.
It's insane lol but i've only seen it happen on a SEAT... there must be something that's faded or fallen off as it didn't do it from new i'm pretty sure

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Your airs too clean to freeze!
Haha this is true, country air doesn't freeze lol I wish that was the case. Although I have now used one of these removing ice is a doddle

61flqxC6P-L._SL1000_.jpg

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
I haven't had this I just get insane misting... I put 2 de-humidifier bags under the front seats which has helped quite abit
i might have to try this. ive seen people use them on their dashboards but i think they look hideous tbh. and the speed i go around corners will have them flying out of my constantly open window. do you know roughly how long these things would last under the seats?

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
i might have to try this. ive seen people use them on their dashboards but i think they look hideous tbh. and the speed i go around corners will have them flying out of my constantly open window. do you know roughly how long these things would last under the seats?
It says about 3 months if you get big bags then just put them in the airing cupboard for a few days to dry out then off they go again.

andycupra

status subject to change
turn the heating off and open the windows to give the car a blow through just before you get to park up.
This is to try and remove the warm humid air that you have created inside the car. IE its cold, so you turn the heating up, you possibly leave a rag in the car to wipe the windscreen, you breath, your wearing a coat which may be damp, or you end up getting too warm and sweating.. (yuck)
It all means you have warm humid air. this means, as the temperature drops, relative humidity rises and its a natural occurrence for dew to form and if it gets cold enough it will freeze. simples. Turn the heating off, open the window and 'hope' that the replacement air has a low enough relative humidity that this will avoid this issue. It will not 100% of the time as if the right conditions exist there is not a lot you can do.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
There's definitely something in the design of the Mk2 Leon that exasperates the problem though. The related Altea suffers from the same issues and there's threads on here going back right to the beginning of the Mk2 about people having this issue.

I went to the cinema the other night and even just leaving the car for about 2 and a half hours the inside of the windscreen was literally soaking when I got back. It's crazy. No car I've had before has ever suffered from more than a thin layer of condensation on the inside. I'm going to try a silica gel bag and see if that helps.

Jan 18, 2019
are the drainholes under the door cards clear

OK so far I have tried the dehumidifier bags (with penguin that changes colour) and more lately the white crystals that absorb moisture. They have helped a bit. I have also checked the drain holes which are clear.

Never had anything like the amount of inside icing on any other car including a few old bangers, and I breathe the same in all of them so there must be something in the design, or a leak, that's letting water ingress.

A garage checked out all the seals during the last service and can't see anything. Just have to live with it I suppose.

Thanks for all the replies

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
OK so far I have tried the dehumidifier bags (with penguin that changes colour) and more lately the white crystals that absorb moisture. They have helped a bit. I have also checked the drain holes which are clear.

Never had anything like the amount of inside icing on any other car including a few old bangers, and I breathe the same in all of them so there must be something in the design, or a leak, that's letting water ingress.

A garage checked out all the seals during the last service and can't see anything. Just have to live with it I suppose.

Thanks for all the replies
Do you treat your seals at all when you clean them? Maybe they're dry and not sealing correctly? There is many things to try but I used to use this and it worked pretty well. I just started using something else but it's too early to tell if it's working...
PhotoPictureResizer_190119_114605868-1305x2320.jpg

Also maybe this is my brain having a moment but can you not have a viable but non smelling gas put in to see if it escapes and the location? If that doesn't exist I've found a market for all seats haha

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.