LC upgrade to LCR... should I do it?

ALEX**

WTF
Feb 26, 2004
south-East
Visit site
coxw said:
not masses. its a much more torquey and driveable map than std. All benefit and if you drive it normally no detriment to mpg

warren did u mean a remap makes 'not masses' of diff between and unmapped and mapped cupra?

or did i miss understand ur post?

warren_cox

Back from the dead
ALEX** said:
warren did u mean a remap makes 'not masses' of diff between and unmapped and mapped cupra?

or did i miss understand ur post?

I think a remap makes a significant difference in mid range torque, but the BHP figures don't seem to bear much out in terms of outright pace. I believe the Leons handling and lack of effective cooling hinder the absolute gains that could be realised from the map, and the K03 turbo is nearing the top end of its limits in the Cupra (as the K04 is in the R). Its a damn good mod, dont get me wrong, but you need to get a few things like tyres and dogbone and if you can afford some extra cooling all the better to realise the gains. I think I am one of the few people on here who doesn't think the Leon is 'that' quick. I'm a big fan but there are quicker out there.

ianc

Nov 1, 2005
Berkshire
I went from a new Y reg petty Cupra + xtras to a new 05 Cupra r as the Cupra had started going wrong. 8K exchanged after part ex. I don't regret it at all!

Other things to note about the R not already mentioned;
- Heavy steering at low speed
- Crap turning circle
- That bloody squeek when reversing slowly!!! :D

Skidd.

Last edited:

ALEX**

WTF
Feb 26, 2004
south-East
Visit site
coxw said:
I think a remap makes a significant difference in mid range torque, but the BHP figures don't seem to bear much out in terms of outright pace. I believe the Leons handling and lack of effective cooling hinder the absolute gains that could be realised from the map, and the K03 turbo is nearing the top end of its limits in the Cupra (as the K04 is in the R). Its a damn good mod, dont get me wrong, but you need to get a few things like tyres and dogbone and if you can afford some extra cooling all the better to realise the gains. I think I am one of the few people on here who doesn't think the Leon is 'that' quick. I'm a big fan but there are quicker out there.

i agree to an extent but my remap made a huge difference from std

Stuart Lee

Aug 6, 2001
SE London
Visit site
I was having the same dilemma & decided spend just over £1,000 on upgrades, for which I got:

Revo & 4bar fpr = £540 for about 220bhp
Pagig FR pads & grooved discs all round = £490 incl fitting
Cupra R Interior = £100 (sold cupra interior for £100 less than cost of LCR interior)

Much better value for money IMHO.

mmfb

Feb 12, 2003
Berkshire
Visit site
My tuppenceworth - (I have also had both LC and LCR).

I had a face lifted LC 52 plate. I loved it, but when I changed jobs I had to buy my own car - I knew it had to be special to make up for loosing the LC. So I got a 2001 GTV 2L TS (Alfa). Beautiful!, but after 20 months I returned to Seat. I considered a LC again, and I think they are great value. But after a Golf 1.8 driver, 2L 16v Corrado, a LC, a 2L GTV, I decided that as a petrol head the only decent thing I can do is buy the better of the available models. See - I could have had a VR6 Corrado, a Proper GTI golf, a 3l V6 GTV, but I didnt and always took the sensible and more economical chioce.

Id say it depends on your life style and choices. If you can afford and are willing to accept the extra costs of owning the LCR then I see no reason not to. If you are like me, and you opt for the sensible option so many times you could find that you wish you had that little bit more (power, bumper, rubber, interior, cred). This time I wanted the beast and damn the cost. Anyway its gotta be cheaper than owning an alfa, Im still hurting from it :) (Sorry girls, but it was like being married to a high mantenence lady).

I searched for a while, and found my 210 LCR on the Isle of white for 10k with 30000 miles. It was a good day out which included a boat trip with and without the car :) and some serious fun.

It was worth the trip, and the patience and effort to find the right one at the right price.

M

Last edited:
If I owned a Mk1 Leon Cupra then I don't think at this point in time I would want to upgrade to an LCR. For a start I don't think you get £5-6k's worth of extra car (if that is indeed the price difference). Secondly with the Mk2 Leon Cupra due out in summer the value of Mk1 LCR's is likely to fall sharply in my opinion, so you'd probably lose a lot of money in a short period of time. If you really want an LCR you'd be better off waiting until the new car comes out and then get a bargain LCR. This is why I've decided to sell my LCR and buy a new Focus ST instead. At least that way there's not going to be a new Focus out for some time, so I could probably keep it for a bit longer than I have done with the LCR...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.