LC - worn inner CV joints?

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
Firstly sorry for the long post.

Need some advice on identifying an intermittent problem with my LC.

For a number of *months I have noticed a moaning / whining noise from the passenger front end when slowing down. Thought this was gearbox backlash but it is getting louder.

To help eleminate some causes I had replaced the n/s/f wheel bearing last year, in addition just fitted new disc and pads and both top strut bearings, arb bushes & new Tyres and wheels all round.*Tyres are perfectly balanced, hunter machine.

Ok so the problem consists of the following:-*

• moaning / whining noise when in gear and also in neutral when coasting to a stop from n/s/f. Didn't get louder when turning one way or the other.

• During the last week when driving for more than 40mins or so I get a vibration when accelerating at @ 70mph (ish). This doesn't occur when driving for less then 30mins or so, my normal motorway drive to work.

So here is what I think is the cause:-

•inner CV joints worn, I have heard that if the grease level is low you can get the above mentioned symptoms when the joints heat up.

I have checked the inner and outer cv boots, no rips or holes visible although there is a splatter of grease on the splash guard at n/s/f inner cv joint.

Got a price to replace both inner cv joints, not cheep so I want your thoughts to make sure I replace the right thing. Is it the inner cv joints or do you think it is something else?

Your thoughts please??

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I would be amazed if the inner CV joints are worn. They are brick privvy's compared to the outers because they don't have to bend as much as the outers.

Have you changed tyre brands? With the vibration, is it different if you hit 70 in fourth rather than in fifth? Have you gone for grooved discs this time round?

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
Tyres have changed from Goodyear eagle f1 asym's to Falken FK 452s.

There is a difference in tyre noise but the moaning / whining noise was there with the old Tyres as well.

When the vibration hits after driving for more than 40mins or so i have noticed it in all gears just mote noticeable in 5th or 6th at 70ish.

The reason i was thinking inner CV's is that I don't have any click click click noise when turning, which I would expect to hear if the outer CVs were worn.

Brake discs and pads are standard OEM

Last edited:

chrispcupre

Jul 27, 2011
leicestershire
sounds like your gearbox my box whines in 3rd and 4th i have got some redline mt90 gear oil on order but i recon it will need refurbing before long mines an 05 with 66000 miles:cry:

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
What about the vibration that only occurs after driving for @40mins or so.

As detailed above it isn't there during short drives.

I have heard that this could he worn inner cv joints.

What's your thoughts?

chrispcupre

Jul 27, 2011
leicestershire
sorry did not realise it was a intermitent fault my leons whine is there all the time i have a vibration sometimes though now you mention it !

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Rather than getting the CV joints replaced, it might be worth getting a tube or two of joint grease and repacking them? Pop open the larger strap, get as much grease in there as possible then secure it again.

If the extra grease quietens things down, then at least you know you're in the right place.

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
That's a pretty good idea, certainly a lot cheaper than getting both inner CV joints replaced.

Where would be the best place to get CV grease from?

Do I need a special tool to apply it I have seen some flat long applicator in the mkiv forum.

Cheers for the help dude

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
CV grease is pretty generic, I'd say GSF or eurocarparts would be reasonably cheap. Mine came in a really big 'toothpaste tube' so it was pretty easy to squirt it into place. And it's quite stiff and sticky so it stays put while you slide the boot back in place.

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
It take it is just a case of removing the clip around the larger part of the boot then fill the joint area and boot with grease?

Also what about putting the clip back on?

Is it best to just put a new clip on? I hate these once use clips.... could I use a jubilee clip??

Any other tips or things to watch out for would be good...

Cheers

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I used three really thick zip ties, you're right the ones that are on there are probably one use ones. A jubilee clip would work but you might have trouble finding one large enough.

Cupra_Mat

Aug 9, 2010
Sutton Coldfield / Lichfield
I have the exact same problem, a whine has occured from the NSF wheel this week.

My guess were a bearing or gearbox but bearings were checked mot not long ago and where fine and makes the same noise even if in neutral.

Let us know if the grease works??

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
Will do.

I'm sure it is the inner CV joints after reading loads of post on VW and audi forums.

The symptoms are the same, but I will be giving the grease a go first.

Just out of interest do you get a vibration after driving for about an hour or so?

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
Not had a chance to fix this yet, it's getting worse.

It also now feels like a have a flat spot on the drivers side tyre or the wheel is loose, which it isn't.

I think it might by drivers front wheel bearing.

Going to get it replaced next Friday.

Will try the grease in the inner cvs after that.

Any ideas what would cause this latest symptom???

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
Just had a good look under the car today and think I might have found the cause of the vibration from the front end, as said above the wheels are perfectly balanced.

I noticed that the front bushes on the wishbones are well cracked all the way round and look like they are pretty badly worn.

I have replaced my wishbone rear bushes and arb bushes last year as they were badly cracked and worn.

Question is do you think that the worn front bushes on the wishbones would cause the above described vibration???

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
It is quite possible, on deceleration the forces imposed on the wishbone change and you might be acting against a weak part of the bush. And if you no longer have rubber to isolate suspension parts you can pick up all sorts of noise and vibrations.

I've always worked on the basis that if I have something that is 'suspect' and something that is 'broke', I fix the broke thing first as most of the time it'll fix the issue.

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
It's more on acceleration but definatly feels like something is loose.

I'm just wondering what to replace the front wishbone front bush with:-

Powerflex
Superpro
OEM - LC

I used OEM on the arb bushes and rear bushes on the front wishbones.

Am I right in thinking that the front bushes effect side to side movement?

Just remembered that I got similar symptoms from the rear end a while back, could this be caused by the rear beam bushes??

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Yep, side to side makes sense. The rear ones are slightly different because they're fixed to each other, so they're not as likely to cause the wheels to go off-direction. They're also much larger!

Personally I'd recommend powerflex or superpro as they're all poly. The OEM bushes have a metal case which (to me) looks like it needs to be pressed in, whereas the poly ones can be done at home. Then again, because you used OEM for the others, perhaps it's best to stick with those?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.