LCR ABS + ESP intermittent warning light/CEL light

Onni92

Feb 19, 2014
LCR ABS + ESP intermittent warning light/CEL light
I have a 03 plate cupra R which i am loving asides from a few little warning lights on the dash (running perfectly however)

Basically when i bought the car the ABS pump was unplugged (Handbreak light, ABS, ESP light constantly on) and i was advised that i would need to replace this. I did this straight away and the mechanic said all was well and that the used pump adapted perfectly with no issues and that the problem should be solved.

However every now and then i would get just the ABS and ESP light come on together incidentally when i would be pulling away reasonably fast. More recently this is happening more frequently and occasionally the hand break light will come on at the same time with the accompanying beaps before going off after a few seconds like always.

Has anyone else experienced/come up with a solution for this? i dont really want to buy a brand new abs pump as this one didnt fix the issue and it was confirmed working, what else can i try?

there are 3 error codes currently logged which i scanned using a cheapo scanner they are as followed

17608/P1200/004608 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction (This one is from the previous owner doing an n249 bypass, not sure how they have done it or if they have left it plugged in but i have ordered some resistors to solder in and hopefully that will sort this)

16825/P0441/001089 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow (Dont know what i would need to do for this)

18057/P1649/005705 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from ABS Controller (How do i fix this?!?!)

If anyone know how i can fix these codes i would greatly appreciate it!

Onni92

Feb 19, 2014
Thanks for the reply! How exactly do I clean them? Has the same thing been resolved before by doing this?

Onni92

Feb 19, 2014
So I've taken the battery out and sanded down the earths which were quite heavily corroded, and I think it may have fixed the issue! I don't want to celebrate too soon but I've just been on a 10 mile drive and the lights didn't come on at all! Usually they would come on after a few minutes of driving recently and it didn't come on at all! Thank you so much if that has fixed it :)

Onni92

Feb 19, 2014
Update went to KFC and back earlier thinking it was all fixed however when I got there I noticed the ABS AND ESP light was on however there was no hand break light or beeping! That went away when I turned off the ignition and put it back on again however. When I got home I scanned with my scanner and was able to scan the abs which I was never able to do before and it appears I need to replace my front right abs sensor!

Would it be possible that the ground that was quite badly corroded was affecting the abs pump causing all the lights to come on and just the abs/esp light coming on is just because of that sensor? Previously I was never even able to scan the abs because it would never connect (probably because of the corrosion)

If I change this abs sensor could that be my problem solved?

Onni92

Feb 19, 2014
I tried my best but I couldn't get the new sensor all the way in! Took a couple of hours to get the old one out and then I tried for ages trying to get the new one in! It's most of the way in however the abs light is constantly on so I'm guessing it needs to go in more!

Might just take it to a garage and say I've got it most of the way in and get them to finish it and worst case scenario if I've damaged the new sensor just get them to wack a new one! So frustrating

Onni92

Feb 19, 2014
Had the new abs sensor fitted but the light is still on. He said it will more than likely go on its own soon. Does this sound about right?

Onni92

Feb 19, 2014
On my cheap scanner I scroll over to abs and scan it to get the code and when I select erase it says protocol kwp2000? I don't get this when erasing engine error codes! What does that mean?

Onni92

Feb 19, 2014
Ohh how annoying! Looks like I'm going to have to take it back to the garage and get them to do it!