LCR Air Con refill valve

kartdemon

Anyone know where the air con refill valve is on the LCR?
Just bought the refill canister for my CTR and it has totally sorted it out. Colder than the Leon now. So thought I would just top up my Leon as it is not great.

Thanks

Hamzilla

Feb 12, 2008
Watford, Herts
Where did you get the refill canister from as mine needs doing and if its just as
effective as the ones a garage would use then its all good.

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
I have seen halfords selling them and personally I saw them and doubted how they could work as they can't replicate the proper procedure. Also there is a rule coming in soon that all persons discharging and recharging air con have to have done adequate training.

When using the correct machines to gas the air con, the old gas is first recovered from the system, the system is then vacuumed of all air, pag oil is added then the correct quantity of gas is added to the system.

I would imagine that these halfords refills give a short term improvement but I have never tried them so can't comment fully. But having the wrong quantity of gas can affect the system, as can having air in the system.

kartdemon

Got this one from Halfords. It was the most expensive one and mentions about oil in the can also. I have a trade card and forgot to use it like a plumb. Paid £40 for it and when I ask (after I paid) how much it would have been with the card, he said £18 ! doh .

Anyway my CTR Air Con was totally out according to the guage it comes with. Took about 8 mins to refill it as you have to shake and turn the nozzle at the same time. I think the turning is some sort of safety thing as you have to do it every 3 seconds to allow the gas through. And the button is very stiff. My misses would not have been able to do it!.

Maybe it is a short term thing but my mate said he had his done at Kwik Fit and watched as they just charged it. He does not believe they did any thing other than just topping it up.

The can at £40 sounds expensive but I don't even think I used half of it. I would be surprised if it was a short term solution. As far as I am concerned it should be as good as new unless I have a leak.

I still do not know what valve to use on the Seat to refill it though. There is a large one at the back of the engine bay which seems to big and a small one at the front that seems to small. So a bit confused at the mo.

REDZ2002

Mar 11, 2008
Hereford
Kwik Fit just drained and refilled my Leon for £45.00 when I asked the guy if they just top it up he showed me the machine and explained that there machine drains,pressure checks and refills with a print out and they do not charge if they can't improve it and best of all you he gave me a 20% off voucher so my misses can get her Focus done know.
REDZ2002

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
Kwik Fit just drained and refilled my Leon for £45.00 when I asked the guy if they just top it up he showed me the machine and explained that there machine drains,pressure checks and refills with a print out and they do not charge if they can't improve it and best of all you he gave me a 20% off voucher so my misses can get her Focus done know.
REDZ2002

Yes I've heard them advertising on the radio that if it doesn't lower your output temp by 10% or something then its free.

Hamzilla

Feb 12, 2008
Watford, Herts
I think I will go with Kwik Fit on this one, if the Halfords one was $5-10 fair enough but at £40 there's no point DIY.

I've felt womens thighs colder than what the AC is currently putting out.

Dec 4, 2006
Manchester
So do you refill using the valve by the radiator or the one at the back of the engine bay? Assume also that air con system should be off when refilling.

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
its the one at the front, however DO NOT use those cans, see other thread I just posted in they are a total waste of money and don't work!

get it done properly!

kartdemon

Mine worked fine on my CTR.

But going to take the LCR to Kwik Fit as it seems to smell abit and not coping in this 24 degree temprature.

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
dont use the cans, for the money you have payed you could have had a proper air con recharge and know its been done right. those cans can cause problems and are going to be stoped soon.

kartdemon

I now agree with what you say considering the price. I did not realise that it was that cheap to get it done by someone else. I did not check first as I remeber my friend several years ago mentioned a price tag of around £400 on his Volvo so thought an alternative was needed without really checking the current market first.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.