LCR alloy wheels cooling callipers??

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I'm looking into brake cooling systems for my LCR. I have read lots of posts on VWVortex about fitting hoses and flange etc etc.
Basically what i've done so far is to remove the SMIC's and fit a FMIC, remove fog lights and grills. Also I have trimmed the wheel arch liner to allow a better passage for the air to the brake calliper area.
Now I've not had a problem with the brakes over heating yet but don't think this is any reason not to do something to prevent this happening. I don't want this to crop up when braking very hard for the first corner at Knockhill from 110 MPH.
Anyway, my question is....

Does the manufacturer of alloys design these to suck air in from the calliper side and blow it out through the alloy therefore drawing air past the calliper cooling this area?

I'm wondering if it's worth all the hastle to duct this or whether the alloy is doing all the work for me and I don't need to bother.

I'm hoping this is taken into account in the design process but seriously doubt it. At £50 per alloy you would like to think there more than just a glorified tyre holder.

Cheers for any input into this.
Do we have any alloy wheel designers on the forum?

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
I know the McLaren "turbine style" SLR wheels were designed to do this. I think the movement of air is pretty good through the wheels at speed. What you have done sounds good... maybe run some ducting from the fog light holes to each caliper for extra cooling?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
If the wheels forced air under the car, it would mess the handling. You would have high pressure, not low pressure under the car.
Dave I'm hoping it's the opposite. The wheel pulling air from under/front of the car and out through the calliper/wheels

I know the McLaren "turbine style" SLR wheels were designed to do this. I think the movement of air is pretty good through the wheels at speed. What you have done sounds good... maybe run some ducting from the fog light holes to each caliper for extra cooling?

That's what I want to know, is a huge area for lots of air to pass through better than a small concentrated area directed straight at the callipers/rotors

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
That's what I want to know, is a huge area for lots of air to pass through better than a small concentrated area directed straight at the callipers/rotors

Probably the former, as a concentrated area of air might cause hot/cold difference issues maybe across the disc? But then again all racing cars and some fast road cars have air funneled towards the brakes. Maybe this helps to cool the brakes and reduce pressure under the car. For road cars, the gaps between the spokes on the wheels do enough.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
lee; would the rapid cooling process not lead to warped or even cracked discs????

Shani

Habitual derv user
Aug 12, 2007
Baillieston, Glasgow
No going to far is suggesting you use liquid nitrogen as a spray....

I don't know if the standard wheels would do as you suggest, as they are symmetrical in design. Surely the direction of rotation would then matter. Although The back end of the spokes on the LCR wheel is wider than the front of it so possibly therer might be this effect of drwing air out from behind the wheel.

As someone else suggested some ducting from the fog lights to the inside of the arch liner might do it. Problem is the ram air effect will only be really great at high speeds. Hmm...got me thinking this one....

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
:idea: Maybe... some of this....
ducting-large.jpg

Plus a few of these...
yp_solar_fan_fan1.JPG

Will mean no more of this...
ferrari_fxx_full_of_win_01.jpg

:thumbup:

On a more serious note, I'm sure Its fairly simple to do things like this...
Brembocool1.jpg

mmfp_0707_08_z+2007_steeda_Q335_mustang+brake_cooling_ducts.jpg

DSC00862.JPG

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
No going to far is suggesting you use liquid nitrogen as a spray....

I don't know if the standard wheels would do as you suggest, as they are symmetrical in design. Surely the direction of rotation would then matter. Although The back end of the spokes on the LCR wheel is wider than the front of it so possibly therer might be this effect of drwing air out from behind the wheel.

As someone else suggested some ducting from the fog lights to the inside of the arch liner might do it. Problem is the ram air effect will only be really great at high speeds. Hmm...got me thinking this one....

High speeds are not a problem on my local track.
Two points I'm at 110MPH and other at 80MPH.
TBH I'm thinking that the more air I can get to the area the better. A RAM effect would be good if supply is limited but as it isn't I'll maybe stick with what I've got just now

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
use a test pipe stuck out the window, wouldn't need silly speed to get some flow

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise