1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

LCR and CUPRA differences?

Discussion in 'Mk1 Leon FAQ's (1M) 2000-2006' started by iamneallyons, Dec 29, 2016.

1. iamneallyons

iamneallyons Active Member

Hi,

iv tried searching but i cant seem to find anything other than a thread that lists the differences between the 210 LCR and the 225 LCR, wondered what the actual differences between the CUPRA and the CUPRA-R are???

2. andycupra

andycupra status subject to change

a bit more than most would think:

there will be more differences than this but here is a short stab as the differences:

(based on UK models)

cupra has 17" alloys.
    R has 18" with larger Brembo brakes. (option in the EU)
    rea brakes on cupra are solid,
    on the R are vented.

Cupra has K03s turbo
    R has K04 (larger)

R has larger injectors than the cupra.
    R has larger intake and charge pipework and air flow sensor.

Cupra has 1 single side intercooler - located behind the drivers side foglight
    R has two intercoolers, (each about 80% of the size of the cupra). one behind each fog light.

Inlet manifold on the cupra has its inlet on the drivers side, (so near to the single intercooler)
    the R has its inlet on the nearside.

Exhaust manifolds differ,
    cupra has single CAT,
    R has a twin set up.
    Exhaust system on R is larger diameter and has a single oval tailpipe. (cupra is a singletwin as standard)

Different fog lights, (see different bumper below)

Cupra has cupra body kit.
    R has R body kit. - front and rear bumper are more chunky and angular on the R. Front is also has a spoiler.
    i think the R also has a marginally larger upper boot spoiler.

Cupra interior is generally black/dark with white roof lining and pillars.
    The R interior including roof lining and pillars is black. (and rear view mirror etc)
    Some cupras have leather, (very early standard, but most of the time an option)
    R has material seats and had recaro seats as an option. (early ones also had rear recaros as option, later on didnt)
    R decals on seats in the R.

R's has small 'R' badges on exterior.

Early Rs have the same steering wheel as the cupra. Later ones ( i think late 2003 onwards) have a chunkier/nicer steering wheel with red stripe at top.

power:
    cupra 180 (remaps to around 205)
    R 210 remaps to around 265/270
    R 225. remaps to around 265/270 (the 210 /225 engines are in effect the same)

The suspension on the R is a better set up, (think Audi TT)
    the anti roll bar on the R connects to the struts, on the cupra they dont.
    I understand the R suspension may have a different ration regards shocks v springs, - (more shock) in my experiences Rs actually drive better, the cupra can be crashy.
    The wishbones on the R are cast so are better than the cupra

R models have many other subtle differences such as firmer suspension top mounts, wishbone bushes etc.

Cupra R sits 5-10 mm lower than the cupra

Cupra R has red decals on the interior vents. purely for show.

overall if you can afford get the R, its a significant improvement.
    The cupra in my opinion drives a little more urgently but runs out of puff early.
    The R feels less urgent initially but is much quicker and more within itself as standard.

#2 andycupra, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  3. iamneallyons

Thats a really good guide, thanks for that!

I was under the impression for some reason there was...

1.8 20vt 180bhp

1.8 20vt 210bhp cupra

1.8 20vt 225bhp cupra-r.

Obviously the 180 is a cupra but the 210bhp isnt a cupra but its a cupra-r along with the 225 model.

I did think the KO4 BAM/AMK (210/225bhp models) remapped to more than 265/270bhp though, with accompanying mods i thought you could see 330bhp from them?

cheers.

4. andycupra

265 bhp is typical, you need to go stage 2 (intercooler, better downpipe etc) to get 280

anyhting over 300 is either bullshit or via running a different turbo in combination with other mods

5. iamneallyons

So its the mk2 cupra (240bhp) and the mk2 r that will see 300 with a remap quite easily then.

6. andycupra

the Mk3 certainly makes really good figures.
    the Mk2 i believe will do 300, but i'm not so clued up on the Mk2.

7. rockson

rockson Active Member

I guess my question fits best in this thread.

I'm a bit confused about the difference between cupra and cupra R rear brake calipers. I have searched over etka and found something confusing:

cupra and cupra r have the same calipers (part number is the same, apart from the colour), whilst Leon 4 and cupra r (I presume AMK), have different part number for calipers. Cupra has 232x9mm and all the other 256x22mm brake discs.
    Cupra 1J0615423B
    Cupra r 1J0615423E
    Leon 4 8N0615423C

Brake carrier part numbers are different for every model:
    cupra 6Q0615425A
    Cupra r 1J0615425E
    Leon 4 8N0615425B

Can anyone tell me, if rear brake calipers from cupra and cupra r are really the same (apart from the colour)? If so, then I only need to get new brake carrier and should fit the 256x22 disc normally, although that doesn't make really sense to me, since the cupra r disc is a lot wider/stronger.

8. TurboFriend

TurboFriend Active Member

No information about which engine model is the best? VAG, AUM, BAM , AUQ.
    Apparently my AUQ engine can handle more Power if tuned as it has forged rods and engine parts.
    Good interesting thread