LCR Brembo Brake Pad pins

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Just been checking out my callipers in preparation for fitting new front pads at the weekend and it appears one of the pins is visually splayed - looks like someone has attacked it with something pointy rather than a flat punch at some point in its life (I've not had the car from new).

My question is whether these pins are hard to remove? Any chance of it seizing in the calliper? I just don't want to take the wheel off and find I need some tools I don't have to get it out, not to mention changing one side and not being able to do the other! (I've read the guide but it just says 'take them out').

cuprarob

I have change the pads on a LCR 4-5 times and I have never has a pin seize.

The first one can be a bit tougher than the second as the spring plate is pushing on the pin but not really a huge issue.

If you have a parallel pin punch that is 3.5mm - 4mm in diameter and a hammer you should be able to get the pins out with no problem.

It sounds like the person who removed the pins on a previous occasion did not have the correct pin punch and decide to improvise.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Just spent an hour trying to get the pin out, no luck. The top pin took about 3 seconds but this one just won't budge.

It looks like the top has splayed out of the sides of the hole somehow on the calliper. Whatever has happened, it looks like a trip to the dealer and a new pin will be required after the old one is drilled out.

What's worse is that I just checked on ETKA and the price for the pins and string retainer is £65!

Vtec220

Jul 16, 2006
Fife
Seat had to replace mine when they were changing my pads and discs - as you say £65 - of course, you cant just buy the bit you`re after - you have to buy the whole kit:cry: