LCR Cambelt Timing & Fitting?

Lee M

Had a recent tensioner failure on my cambelt setup and wondered if the belt could of jumped any teeth without causing mechanical issues, but creating timming issues? Or would it of spanked the engine straight away?

Just a bit concerned that the garage could have re-installed the belt 'like for like' without checking the timming alignment, as the car went into low boost/limp mode this morning, not read the fault codes yet!

If i'm talking tosh please let me know cos i'm no mechanic! :confused:

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
how does it idle? is it steady?

I dont know of the degrees one tooth will put the timing out, but you would know it,

If its an half decent mech who did the work he shouldnt of used the "tippex" way, quickest and easiest way would be to ring the guy and ask, i would do,

both the inlet and exhaust cams are timed together via the chain drive at the other end, so if its a tooth out the entire inlet and exhaust timing will be out relative to the crank,

I dont have first hand of incorrect timing on 20vt's, so i couldnt be exact,

you're one lucky sod saviing all 20 valves if it has jumped teeth! :p

Last edited:

Lee M

Hi Mate,

No it idles fine so i guess all is good.

Ill phone the mechanic tomorrow just to confirm but i'm pretty sure its as it should be. Drive fine apart from the fault code which is none related.

Pointing to a boost leak!!!......again!!

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
Hi Mate,

No it idles fine so i guess all is good.

Ill phone the mechanic tomorrow just to confirm but i'm pretty sure its as it should be. Drive fine apart from the fault code which is none related.

Pointing to a boost leak!!!......again!!

some boost pipes have to be disconnected whilst changing cambelt, well on the 180 LC for sure, and im 100% sure the 225 would have the same so im thinking that could be the culprit, a leaking boost pipe !

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise