LCR cold air feed idea

Ovni_cupraR

Yellow Peril
Oct 25, 2008
Maidstone, Kent
I fitted my green open cone last week and although I love the noise it makes, I feel like it's a little more sluggish than it used to be. I'm waitin for a 3 inch air feed to be delivered and I'm trying to think of the best way to get cold air to filter. At the moment I just have the original air feed which is rediculously small.

I know a lot of people either try and fit a bigger air feed down the side of the battery - the same route as the the original air feed, or down to the fog light area, which after just looking at my engine bays looks very difficult!

So I was thinking would it make much difference if removed the original plastic just behind the grill that diverts air coming in around the battery and through the original air feed, and fixed the new bigger air feed there instead and routed it around the opposite side of the battery so that it comes around the back of the filter, and maybe also keep the original air feed where it is. Like this:

P3100300-1.jpg

It would take air directly from behind the grill and seems like an easy route, the only thing is by routing it that side of the battery will the air feed be too close to the engine?

Let me know what you think, also has anyone tried to re-locate an open cone to a colder part of the engine bay? I've seen it done on ibiza's but not on an lcr.

cheers

Last edited:

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
i have a 3 inch duct that fits strait down take the old feed out remove the battery out to make it easyer . feed the air feed down i removed my fog light grill and got under the car to pull it down now it sits next to my fog light getting air strait into the feed...

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
i dont think you can mate as we have an intercooler there unless you have a fmic . ?. plus i dont like the idea of water being so close to the filter

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Also if you have or are planning on getting a DV relocation kit your proposed feed would be exactly where the DV needs to be

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I fitted my green open cone last week and although I love the noise it makes, I feel like it's a little more sluggish than it used to be. I'm waitin for a 3 inch air feed to be delivered and I'm trying to think of the best way to get cold air to filter. At the moment I just have the original air feed which is rediculously small.

I know a lot of people either try and fit a bigger air feed down the side of the battery - the same route as the the original air feed, or down to the fog light area, which after just looking at my engine bays looks very difficult!

So I was thinking would it make much difference if removed the original plastic just behind the grill that diverts air coming in around the battery and through the original air feed, and fixed the new bigger air feed there instead and routed it around the opposite side of the battery so that it comes around the back of the filter, and maybe also keep the original air feed where it is. Like this:

P3100300-1.jpg

It would take air directly from behind the grill and seems like an easy route, the only thing is by routing it that side of the battery will the air feed be too close to the engine?

Let me know what you think, also has anyone tried to re-locate an open cone to a colder part of the engine bay? I've seen it done on ibiza's but not on an lcr.

cheers
Makes perfect sense to me TBH.
A better route than the OEM with potential for a big assed feel from the grill.
Nice thinking, might steal your idea

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Are going to uprate existing air feed to 3 inch as well as installing new one.
Surely that would be even better then;)

Jan 3, 2006
East Kilbride

P3100300-1.jpg

cheers

Hi mate,

How loud is your green cone filter...? :D

Ovni_cupraR

Yellow Peril
Oct 25, 2008
Maidstone, Kent
Hi mate,

How loud is your green cone filter...? :D

Its not as load as I expected as on my previous car (focus 1.8) I had a BMC enclosed kit with a cold air feed and that was really loud especially at high revs, so I thought an open cone would be even louder, but it's just different. With the green open cone it starts with a deep rumbling sound then you hear the wooshing as the turbo kicks in followed by the dump noise. I've only had it a week so I'm still in that stage where you have to hear the dump every gear change :D

jamiebennett81

surprised no one has mentioned it

putting the pipe that close to the engine is pointless, because the air duct pipe will get very hot, so as soon as the air feeds through the grill, it hits the hot air feed pipe and warms instantly....therefore still blowing warm air onto the induction kit

hence why everyone feeds their air ducts around the other side of the battery, to keep it as far away as possible from the engine, meaning the cold air feeding onto the induction kit stays cold or at least cooler

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.