Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.

LCR cold air feed idea

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1 (2000-2006)' started by Ovni_cupraR, Jun 9, 2009.

1. swilky23

swilky23 Active Member

I am just going off what i have read which is basically the more air the better. Weather cold or not makes a difference I could not vouch for

2. paul-murphys

paul-murphys efr 6758 here i come

though compression, thought compression happens in the engine (cylinder) after been cooled by the intercooler, not in the turbo?

3. swilky23

swilky23 Active Member

Your probably right are you saying two feeds to the filter is pointless? Not being funny its a genuine question!

4. paul-murphys

thats what i want to no, would be good to see some logs with cold feed an without cold feed an see how it compares as i dont have extra cold feeds only standard one an want to see if its worth doing?

5. Patch

Patch Guest

It's not about getting cold air to the filter,if you look at his pic he's making the most of the air coming in from the std hole in the grille directing it to his cone filter via the pipes.
    And to answer your question regarding a fmic,yes it would be better to run one but from what i understand the twin inter cooler set up on a cupra R is more than up to the job.

Anyone with any sense knows that a cai is mounted down near the front bumper;)

6. Patch

Patch Guest

I guess we have to go back to basics here:rolleyes:

An turbo is an air compressor,when you compress air you end up with lots of heat.The idea is to get that compressed air as cold as possible before it goes into the engine to mix with fuel and be ignited.

7. paul-murphys

which is why the air goes through the intercoolers. i have a front mount and added over 30 torques alone an dont get heat soak like i did with my twin intercoolers. twin were ok when didnt have map but when i added my front mount got a good amount of torque,

8. JamJay

JamJay California Bound

The secondary air pump connector on your Neuspeed is that plug down on the left hand side of the filter shield that isn't being used.

9. Ovni_cupraR

Ovni_cupraR Yellow Peril

Well my air feed arrived a couple of days ago and I routed it the way I suggested and tbh I haven't noticed any difference at all, so now i've got it running down the other side of the battery (same as oem route) and it still hasn't made a difference. Although I think it is because it is just connected the that corner piece of plastic behind the headlight which has a diameter of about 50mm so it seems pointless having my 76mm air feed connected to that. I tried to disconnect but it seems really hard and wont budge! I think its a headlight off jobby. It's the bit just underneath where I have circled:

[​IMG]

Anyway since getting my green open cone I can't help but feel the car performed better with the standard airbox. The only two reasons I can think of for this is 1) The weather has been quite hot lately and 2) Heatsoak due to the open cone.

I'm beginning to wish I just went for the safe option of a drilled and smoothed airbox with a green panel filter and larger air feed.

I'm now thinking of making a heatshield some how, similar to the jabbasport design. Has anyone attempted this?

cheers

10. LEE69

LEE69 Stage 2 Revo'd

spot on leave the box alone too :)

11. JamJay

JamJay California Bound

Heat soak may well be the issue. I'll be putting a high flow panel filter on in the next week and see how the car adapts to that.

12. glenryck

glenryck Guest

I put two 75mm air ducts on my lcr with a drilled air box, one to replace the standard small one whitch i cut out from behind the headlight and one where you have marked out on yuor picture. I also fitted a 56mm flexie duct from behind the front fog light grill up in front of the intercooler up behind the headlight pointing into the 75 mm duct running along side the battery it was very tricky but it works. Maybe you could try this to get the cold air into your cone.???

13. stpete

14. Ovni_cupraR

Ovni_cupraR Yellow Peril

15. Sean886

Sean886 Active Member

Would a grill like rs focus above the filter work?

16. mihooV5

mihooV5 Active Member

Cold air induction kit

Hi,

I'm planning to fit a cone in my Tolly and would appreciate some pictures on how it's done in your cars...

Cheers:)

17. Dave_c85

Dave_c85 Active Member

I know there are many arguments about this but put a heat shield around the filter to protect it somewhat from the heat in the bay

18. mihooV5

mihooV5 Active Member

I know yet I'm most likely going to cover the filter to protect it from the heat. I think it's going to give better performance.

19. Sean886

Sean886 Active Member

I'm gonna fit focus vents in the bonnet to try and remove some of the hot air out, combined with a heat shield should be fairly effective

20. Applemobile

I'm not 100% convinced on the effects of bonnet vents. The car has been designed to take air in through the front, and then it exit out the back. As the air leaves the back, it in turn sucks though air from the other parts of the engine bay.
    Adding vents could possibly disrupt this process. If you create a path of lesser resistance, cold air may well just be sucked in through the vents and straight out the back, bypassing parts of the engine.

I'm not saying adding vents will not help keep engine temps down, i'm also not professing to know anything about thermal dynamics, however, i do know that there is a lot more to engine cooling than adding more holes.