LCR engine oil...i know not another thread!!

p77_macca

I've got a LCR 2005 and I'm planning an oil change between dealer services.
After much searching through this forum, and others I decided on the quantum synta ed 0w-30, mostly due to the spec - vw 503.01 being linked with this product.
So i phoned up seat and ordered.
Problem is I picked it up today and the only mention of any spec is vw 502 00/505 00...
...can anyone tell me whether this oil meets the standards for my car or whether I should try and change it for something else?? eg 5w-30 synta?

p77_macca

thanks jon!
was searching for ages for a link like this!

Last edited by a moderator:

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
I think I only paid about £18 for 5 Ltr from TPS.

EDIT. Just looked at the above link and it says £18.95. TPS don't always charge the VAT, parts club discount I think they call it.

Yer I figured it would be cheaper from TPS, think my last 5 litres of Synta Gold was around the £23 mark from them.
How did you manage to get the VAT discount, was it just by stating you were a member of Cupranet?

J0N

Defected!
TBH it depends who serves you, if I need any dealer parts for my LCR or the Missus's A3 I go to TPS and sometimes there is a 'parts club' discount which is usually around 15%. I've never joined any such club or ever asked for a discount it's just sometimes there. TPS is usually cheaper than the stealers anyway and I find their staff far more knowledgeable.

Dani_b19

Apr 8, 2009
Is that oil ok for 10-12k services? Ive been using 5w-30 and the car doesnt seem to like.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Is everyone else using 5w 40 in petrol cupra?

I got my oil from TPS [quantum stuff] and I'm sure its 10w 40

Theres so many difference threads on this with so many different answers, be good to clear it up :)

Dani_b19

Apr 8, 2009
Agree mate, its just mine seems to eat 5w-30, it seems way too thin for the s3.

J0N

Defected!
Ha ha, found it at last;
Click here for the Quantum Platinum SAE 5W-40 Product Data Sheet.

When JBS Autodesigns last serviced my car (05 LCR) they used Quantum Platinum SAE 5W-40 ZGB115QLB00513, which according to the above link is from the 208 litre drum.
The oil I bought from TPS is ZGB115QLB00511 which is the 5 litre bottle, it's RRP is/was £24.06 but with the 'Parts Club Promotion' I got it for £15.85+VAT so £18.23.

Hope this clears things up a bit. :)

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Am I right in thinking that something like this:

http://www.mobil-1.co.uk/cms/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx

would be even better - especially in these weather conditions, as it is more viscous at lower temperatures meaning it would offer better protection for cold starts, but still has the 40 rating for the high temperatures....

surely for ultimate protection, you want an oil which has the largest gap between the two figures, i.e. this 0w 40 oil?

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
i use millers 5w-40 fully synthetic (£30 5litres), used the edge 5w-30 and didnt feel rite.
if its a newer leon or octy or something that has variable service life then use 5w-30 but if its fixed id use the millers or similar, although i think somepeople use Mobil1 0w - 40 aswell

J0N

Defected!
Am I right in thinking that something like this:

http://www.mobil-1.co.uk/cms/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx

would be even better - especially in these weather conditions, as it is more viscous at lower temperatures meaning it would offer better protection for cold starts, but still has the 40 rating for the high temperatures....

surely for ultimate protection, you want an oil which has the largest gap between the two figures, i.e. this 0w 40 oil?

Does Mobil 1 still annoyingly come in 4 litres? I never understood that.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.