Oct 15, 2019
Hi all,

Been looking at fmics for my LCR BAM 225 as I'm planning to go straight to stage 2 once all this lockdown business is over. Being high mileage (150k+) and not wanting to ditch out a fortune, my end goals for this car are in the region of 280-300 bhp.

I've seen a couple Airtec FMICs come up for around the £300-350 mark. I've estimated the Toyosports 600x300x76 'Wellycooler' setup with Creation Motorsport pipework to come to about £225-250 ish.

The easy fitment without the need to trim crash bar/bumper is a major point in favour of Airtec, however, some of them up for sale look a bit rough and have been used on cars for 3 yrs or so. Would this have any effect or potentially cause any problems down the line?

Also, I'm not fully aware of how the MAP sensor works with the new pipework. Ideally, I'd want to get new silicone upper boost hoses but isn't the MAP sensor positioned in the original upper hose on the passenger side? So does the MAP sensor need to be relocated and welded in or something?

Sorry if I've asked silly questions I'm new to all this, v grateful for this forum though I've learnt a lot already. I appreciate any help, thanks!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Unfortunately I can't help specifically cause I have a MK2. Generally, I can't see any downsides to a used intercooler so long as it's not been resprayed and not been hit by anything (any obvious damage). I went wellycooler on my MK2 (crash bar didn't need cutting and kept aircon). The performance on it is amazing though. But as you say, it comes down to the Airtec being effectively drop in and there's nothing wrong with Airtec as a brand... dunno if it's the same with MK1. But for the MK2 Airtec do a Stage 1 and Stage 2 intercooler (Stage 2 has a slightly bigger volume). So just something to check before you dive in that there isn't more than one variant for the MK1.

Reactions: MC Dem

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
I have an Airtec (second hand) - it needed a little tidying up but was complete and in good condition. The only issue I had was the supplied fittings (nuts and bolts) were steel and good old osmosis had welded them to the aluminium spacers so I replaced all the hardware with new hardware.
I like the fact that you keep the fogs and grills with the airtec unit.

Reactions: MC Dem

Cupra r 01

Apr 26, 2020
Found this an interesting read, as hoping to get my lcr mapped soon, and have been thinking of changing the intercoolers, they look really restricted of airflow. Had to replace lower grills and was quite surprised at how hidden the standard intercoolers looked.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.