LCR front brake pads....getting the pins out...

neilmac

Just starting to tweak...
Jul 12, 2006
whats the best tool? Centre punch and how much welly do they need to come out..I know you need to be careful when putting them back in to not put them back in too far.....looks easy apart from that..

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Centre punch will work nicely. You don't have to go nuts with them, for a start you don't want to slip and hit/chip the caliper. Just tap and they will move a little at a time. Its dead easy.

Neg.

May 11, 2007
Bristol
Make sure you get most of the built up brake dust off the pins first, or you may find itll get stuck in the hole! Bit of lubrication will help it slight out more easily :)

mc

Jan 15, 2006
Birmingham
Mine needed a fair whack to get them out. Don't use a punch thats too small.

When I did it, the hardest bit was getting the near side inner pad out. It didn't want to move at all, and in the end I used a large cold chisel on the backing plate, alternately tapping the top and bottom of the pad from the rear. Not sure why that one pad was so tight?!

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
once used my washer bottle filled with petrol to get my triumph 1500 home when petrol pump failed, wait til it splutters, squirt etc etc refill bottle etc etc
Sorry back on topic, i always clean pins and smeear very lightly with copperslip so next time they slip out easy!

neilmac

Just starting to tweak...
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks guys....so centre punch will do it...gently does it is the way...hopefully the pads wont be too hard to get out...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members