Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Well, Seat got back to me today saying they will not do anything about the gear box casing
No big surprise there!!

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
SHITE SHITE SHITE

Well it looks like Seat ain't paying for **** all
*******s!!!

The garage that I bought the car from nol onger exists, infact they went under.
This garage would be the only avenue for my claim
Even if they were still bouyant in Scottish law the seller has no legal obligation to do anything after 5years, guess what, it was 5 years and a month that I found the corrosion, double ****.

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Yes but the garage makes a claim to SEAT UK for work done on cars? Theoretically you can go to any SEAT garage and have the work done?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Either buy a new gear box and get it fitted at my own cost which would approximately be £1,000.
Or keep a close eye on the bolts tightness, tighten them just now, buy a Quaiffe Diff and get this fitted whilst the gear box is off to change the drive shaft seals.

I'm liking the second option best just now both will cost about the same but the second is more fun.
The only problem with the second is that due to wanting to get onto the track this will be something that will be in the back of my mind the whole time.
Perhaps the diff will help me forget this though;)

Just a shame I don't have the cash just now.

My gear box is feeling notchy so think I'll need to go back to Seat and get the GB oil drained and refilled, hopefully this will help

oliverj

Aug 18, 2006
Nottingham
Morning JS,

I like the second option too! Quaiffe Diff would be a great weapon on the track but as you say you have no idea how the GB will hold up. Could you get a reconditioned GB?

I am very excited about Donington now - 10 days to go. Shame it is so far away from you. be great to catch-up!! :D

I am hoping to hear from Seat today but we shall see.... be nice for them to ring up and give me the answer I want! :D

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Depending on how big my balls are feeling I might tackle this job myself.
CSD_19 is my car man and his balls are big when it comes to car stuff so we might double team this.
Suppose I'd better ask him first:)

oliverj

Aug 18, 2006
Nottingham
I am very envious - I think an extra pair of hands is always good!!! My next door neighbour is good for advice but he is no mechanic. The best man I know is in Warrington but it is not what he does and it is a long round trip for me. I just don't have any confidence in garages and people round here. My car is too precious for me to take a chance, I have made that mistake before.

Think I am going to buy some books as my beasty could get expensive paying other people to do stuff like brakes and oil now that I am on the track!

Starting today I am going to get more involved! Watch this space!! I will be asking you lots of questions :D|

oliverj

Aug 18, 2006
Nottingham
Depending on how big my balls are feeling I might tackle this job myself.
CSD_19 is my car man and his balls are big when it comes to car stuff so we might double team this.
Suppose I'd better ask him first:)

Hi JS,

Another example of me getting lost in Google... what do you think?

http://www.powerstation.org.uk/porsche_brakes.asp

My calipers look awful and I need new disks and pads in Jan and this would work out cheaper. I could most likely source a better set-up but is thye concept of 6 pot disks on the beast....

Decisions decisions.... :D

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Hi JS,

Another example of me getting lost in Google... what do you think?

http://www.powerstation.org.uk/porsche_brakes.asp

My calipers look awful and I need new disks and pads in Jan and this would work out cheaper. I could most likely source a better set-up but is thye concept of 6 pot disks on the beast....

Decisions decisions.... :D
MMMmmmm very nice!!

There are a few 6 pot options out there, there are a few people on here that have then and there is a set for sale just now;)

Do you still feel you need more braking power. I know you can nevcer have too good brakes but would it be worth the cost??
I know you would very easily get your set up sold, infact I know someone that could be intertested in it if your looking to sell it.

oliverj

Aug 18, 2006
Nottingham
I think the cost would be negligable - I need new everything in Jan and if I get a kit it might come to £400 or so more but then I can sell my old stuff possibly and recoup some funds...

I am torn at present as you make a good point but the 6 pots do look stunning and my Excema ridden Brembo calipers that SEAT are refusing to sort are keeping me up at night...

I need to win the lottery! What parts would the someone be interested in should I decide to sell??

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The whole system TBH
I know a guy with a MK4 Golf GTI with a KO4 conversion, he asked me if I ever was selling my 323mm set up to give him first refusal.
The brembo set for the LCR is well saught after.
Your calipers alone are probably worth £300, with the lightened bells this might go up a bit.

oliverj

Aug 18, 2006
Nottingham
That is good to know although mine are 330mm....

I could go for the new set-up and probably recoup most of the cost. I'll have a think. I spoke to my trackman earlier who has now seen the footage from Monday and I got a bollocking for coming off the brakes too earlier at redgate! I think another lesson is in order :D

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Yup 330mm fit aswell but the standard OEM discs are 323mm.

Thats a good thing to have such a good relationship with him.
If you got in car footage he could go through this with you aswell, that would be great.
Let me mknow what your thinking about the brakes and I'll speak to the guy again to see if he's still want this set up.
TBH you won't find it difficult to get rid of this set up for a decent price

oliverj

Aug 18, 2006
Nottingham
Morning JS, I would certainly be interested in passing the kit over to a happy new owner. I am in the process of sourcing prices for AP/Porsche/Brembo 6 pot set-up....

He is a good chap and I do listen to what he says purely because he is always right (honestly its frustrating)! I was in the car with him one day at Donington and he looks over at me and says watch that car in front and then a few seconds later the car lost control and span off the track. When i rang him the other night and mentioned my spin-off he said I bet it was at Coppice!!!!! He knows cars initimately and he KNOWS how to drive. I have been in the car when he has shamed a GT3 and a ferrari on track in his E36 M3!! It's a bit cheesy but i want to be like him. He spends all week training people to drive like a class one Police driver or on the track all over Europe :D

I am popping into Nottingahm this morning to see if I can source a small HD SD camcorder to mount in the car, they are cheaper than these bullet kits and you can use them for non-track stuff too. A friend with a Renault R26 has a bar that runs between windows in the back that i could mount it to or I could get a windscreen mounted suction:

https://sslrelay.com/s139675512.one...nid=1548b6dce0cb5b4/shopdata/index.shopscript

I had my final conversation with Seat yesterday and they are flatlt refusing to do anything about the callipers so I will sort it myself - I told them that I would not be extending the warranty pr using any of their garages (need to make friends with Audi or VW now!). i am happy to keep the car for a few more years, gradually raise the tempo and make it more track focussed and then in say 2 years time get another car for road use and really strip this one down (new racing seats, possibly ARBs :D etc). Hopefully by then i will be good enough to give people some grief on the track. I still feel out of my depth and I am always cautious as this is my only car and I am screwed if anything happens to it. I can;t afford an insurance claim on it as due to an unlucky past I only have 3 years NCB to show for my 12 years driving and I am desperate to get to 4 years so I can protect it.

Anyway, some exciting times ahead. I'll let you know how I get on with the brake hunting! :D

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
He sounds like the kind of man I woulod love to stay closer to, what his home track?

Hopefully in 2 years my car will be getting stripped out and more track focussed aswell, it's all down to when I get a new family car and I can make mine more, well more more:)

oliverj

Aug 18, 2006
Nottingham
Hi JS, Oulton park is his home track - I want to get better at Donington then I may play the field a bit next year... be great to come to one close to you so we can meet up!

Sounds like a good plan - my car will hopefully look and feel very different 24 months from now. I think new suspension, stripped interior (including door panels), roll cage, induction, new race seats, new clutch, new brakes etc... if I can get the weight down below 1000KG that would be ace! Be great to have you doing the same thing to, we could enter track days together and rule! :D

I am off go-karting tomorrow, should be fun but at 6 foot 3 and 13 stone I am a bit big for it - always good for a ligh though!