Al

Aug 29, 2005
Re: LCR light weight edition, New gear box with Wavetrac LSD fitted :)

It has to be noted though that when power overcomes available traction, you may as well forget about the steering wheel eh Willie ;). We saw this last night in Willies car and my car.

What happens is that the car will carry on in the direction it was going until power is cut to the point where traction is available again. In my car at least with the standard open diff, it would have been possible to steer round a bend with one wheel spinning.

This is not so much a problem, more like something to be wary of, especially when you have enough power for it to be likely to happen, and we saw that in both cars last night.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland

It has to be noted though that when power overcomes available traction, you may as well forget about the steering wheel eh Willie ;). We saw this last night in Willies car and my car.

What happens is that the car will carry on in the direction it was going until power is cut to the point where traction is available again. In my car at least with the standard open diff, it would have been possible to steer round a bend with one wheel spinning.

This is not so much a problem, more like something to be wary of, especially when you have enough power for it to be likely to happen, and we saw that in both cars last night.
Yup, fitting a new bit needs a bit more caution, thankfully we have found this out without making a a mess.
Will still have to check this with R888's on though ;)

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland

give me a shout when you get hame min, need to get some mare chips on the go, might need a hand off you fitting my coilovers aswell. Car sounds like it is behaving as it should, just a pitty i couldnt have had a run in it when it was done

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland

give me a shout when you get hame min, need to get some mare chips on the go, might need a hand off you fitting my coilovers aswell. Car sounds like it is behaving as it should, just a pitty i couldnt have had a run in it when it was done

Will do

Great news that the gearbox is fitted and running!!

YEH, canna wait for KH now

Glad to hear the fitting went ok Willie. I look forward to hearing more on this as a Wavetrak is on my shopping list. :)

Dave, I'm away to post up a differential thread in the Mk1 section as it seems like the Wavetrac behaves differently to the Quaife and Peloquin ones

RobDon

Pro Detailer

Sounds different to the Quaife, on roundabouts and hard bends it just grips and goes.

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh

Remember you're still on the winter tyres Wull, I'm sure it'll be a different result with the triple 8s on ;)

It's not a matter of the diff letting go, just more lateral force than the winter tyres can oppose through friction. I could put Pirelli ditchfinders on and get the same result with an open diff lol :)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland

Remember you're still on the winter tyres Wull, I'm sure it'll be a different result with the triple 8s on ;)

It's not a matter of the diff letting go, just more lateral force than the winter tyres can oppose through friction. I could put Pirelli ditchfinders on and get the same result with an open diff lol :)
Yup, a diff is good but cannot defy the laws of Physics

Al

Aug 29, 2005

Sounds different to the Quaife, on roundabouts and hard bends it just grips and goes.

As does the Wavetrac, but what I mean is that when the power gets too much for the traction available, the car will go in the direction the momentum is taking it. The same will happen on any diff I would think.

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh

As does the Wavetrac, but what I mean is that when the power gets too much for the traction available, the car will go in the direction the momentum is taking it. The same will happen on any diff I would think.

Yep instead of the power spinning away through the wheel with less grip, it just lights up both of them.

As I'm sure you've noticed after painting large number 11s up the road ;)

Much better than a number 1 :D

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006

I've had the same problem with Peloquin on odd occasions....

The problem occurs when you have enough power on to spin both wheels whilst cornering/changing direction at the same time - both wheels loose grip and the front end washes out big time, whereas with an open diff you would presumably still get some lateral grip from the non-spinning wheel. To be honest this has only happened in damp or low friction situations and with ESP off which is never a good combo anyway. I have adjusted my driving style accordingly in these situations ;)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk

6th gear wheelspin lighting up No11's is fun/scarey - in the dry

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
More toys :)

I've taken advantage of the Awesome GTI blueflame 25% reduction.

I've bought a 3" De CAT'd Down Pipe :) (This will keep Allen happy, well after the remap aswell, lol)

Also I've been made aware of DBM bush replacements that Superpro do for the MK4 type.
This is to replace the front bush, the one that the bolt goes through to the clutch housing.

On investigating the different DBM's I've found there are different part numbers with different front bush stiffnesses.
The LCR one is the stiffest.
The ones that INA/034 Motorsport sell with there uprated rear bushes are slightly less stiff than the OEM LCR one. Now this will help absorb some of the vibrations for a street car.

BUT

As i'm going a different way I'll put up with all the vibrations to give me maximum performance.

So I've ordered:

http://www.superpro.eu.com/ProdDisplay_Ind.asp?App=TTMK1(2WD)&Prom=VAG&Model=132#SPF2576K

This I'll fit to the spare DBM I have with the powerflex bushes.
I'll also try it with the INA/034 Motorsport track density bushes.

We'll see how this performs on the Scottish National 1/4 mile meet at Crail race way :)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
From memory I think they all have gaps in them as I was surprised how much flex there was in the front bush.
The superpro is a solid bush, with no gaps, and made of plastic/nylon

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.