Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Aye 'still lovin the Leon'
I'm hoping it will to, but we'll soon see. My cars done 90,000 miles so its time to freshen it up a bit and hopefully it will last another 90,000 miles

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Aye 'still lovin the Leon'
I'm hoping it will to, but we'll soon see. My cars done 90,000 miles so its time to freshen it up a bit and hopefully it will last another 90,000 miles
It definately will, you will be suprised!

I went for superflex over powerflex. Superflex enable you to get front wishbone bushes with camber so I got 1 degree camber on the front wheels. Really helps the turn in and sudden change of direction.

oliverj

Aug 18, 2006
Nottingham
Hey JS, how are things?

That is quite some shopping list you have there! :D

Has it all turned up yet? She will feel as good as new once it has all been fitted. Are you doing it yourself?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I have all the bits but on my way up to my parents I got a shout to go offshore so fitting bits no hold for just now.
Aye I'm doing it all myself, there are a few bits that I will need an extra pair of hands but should manage all the rest myself.
I have ELSAWIN which is a great help, oh and a few mates with lots of knowledge and tools

oliverj

Aug 18, 2006
Nottingham
Hi JS!

You still offshore? Any progress on the new stuff?

Nothing much happening my end - car is due some new rubber on the rear and complete brake overhaul all round so just sourcing some bits then she will be booked in for fitting.

On a more exciting note - my new bike has arrived 3 months early!! Will be collecting it next weekend - 3 weeks till I take my test so fingers crossed! I am off leather and helmet shopping tomorrow.

I am really enjoying this cold foggy mornings we have here at the moment - the car feels great! off to Donington in a couple of weeks to watch some friends, I was booked in to do this one but going to hang fire until next year.

Looks like Donington is not going to be an F1 circuit after all - you got any dates in my for your track days? :D

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Aye aye Oliver

I'm home now but still not got bits fitted.
I've been having a bit of trouble getting into 3/4 on hard deceleration. Took a look at the gear box links, they seem ****ed. So as it would happen Issam has some aftermarket stiff compound ones.
These have been ordered along with a oil catch can. So list of bits is growing but not much closer to getting these fitted.

Good luck with the bike, scares the **** out of me on the road but massive massive buzz:)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Operation stiff

Well operatin stiff has started.

I had a few hours spare today, which is unusual.

So

Finally I fitted the INA Engineering Street Density engine mount and Track Density DBM.
Previously I had the Polyflex DBM on. TBH the INA one compared to the Polyflex one is chalk and cheese.
With the INA one you get all of the control with non of the vibration, same with the Engine mount.
Whilst doing this I fitted a new OEM header tank, very easy to do and no more BEEP BEEP BEEP and flashing red light:)

So the GB linkages are on there way with the Stainless Steel catch can also from INA.

Still waiting on the production of the wishbone bushes from INA to compliment the engine mounts.

Still planning on dropping the sub frame. When looking at it today I'm wondering if seam welding this will increase the stiffnes, I'm sure it will. I'll speak to my welder mate about what he thinks about this.

oliverj

Aug 18, 2006
Nottingham
Hi JS!

Wow - it sounds like you have the bug!! I am impressed that you are doing so much of it yourself. Is the car off the road at the moment?

Bought my leathers and everything last week. Went to see the bike yesterday, I was so excited - she is absolutely gleaming but i have decided not to collect her until I can ride. I have moved my lessons forward a week so fingers crossed.

Off to Donington next weekend, just to watch some friends. I'll take the helmet and maye get a few laps as a passenger.

When are you hoping to complete Operation Stiff? Would love to see some photos of the upgrades...

Catch you soon and keep well!

OJ

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Cars not off the road yet but will be in stage 2 as I'll be dropping the subframe in the front and doing 'so work' on it.
Goo luck with the bike stuff.
You getting the car back on the track next year?
Got any further plans for it before then?

oliverj

Aug 18, 2006
Nottingham
Thanks, I start my direct access in a few days - getting quite nervous now!

I would love to take the car on the track next year but need new brakes all round first, just had new tyres but my priority is getting up to speed on the bike at the moment. I have been with clients for the last few days and one of their husbands is a police driving instructor - he has given me some great tips!

Aside from that I have no plans - got to pay for the nike and accessories first then some Ron Haslam courses at Donny early next year!

Have you got much time off before the new year to work on the car?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Still planning on dropping the sub frame. When looking at it today I'm wondering if seam welding this will increase the stiffnes, I'm sure it will. I'll speak to my welder mate about what he thinks about this.

it most likely will make it stiffer & stronger.

However, something worth considering - if you were unfortunate enough to clobber something with a wheel / wishbone that's already stiffened - the force just moves to the next point - right up to the bit that mounts to the chassis of the car.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Thanks, I start my direct access in a few days - getting quite nervous now!

I would love to take the car on the track next year but need new brakes all round first, just had new tyres but my priority is getting up to speed on the bike at the moment. I have been with clients for the last few days and one of their husbands is a police driving instructor - he has given me some great tips!

Aside from that I have no plans - got to pay for the nike and accessories first then some Ron Haslam courses at Donny early next year!

Have you got much time off before the new year to work on the car?

I hope to get everything done before father inlaw needs his car back at the start of December but its looking less likely.
Is that Liam Haslam dad by any chance, you don't do things by half;)

it most likely will make it stiffer & stronger.

However, something worth considering - if you were unfortunate enough to clobber something with a wheel / wishbone that's already stiffened - the force just moves to the next point - right up to the bit that mounts to the chassis of the car.

Yup Mark, a point I didn't consider.
I'm going to give this a try and see what difference it makes.
Unfortunately I will at this point have changed the ARB (to a 23mm from 18mm) and bushes so will not be able to tell what individual benifit the seem welding will give me.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Next operation will be to sort out my GB issues.

I've been having problems getting into 3/4 gear. Initially I changed the GB oil for fresh stuff hoping that this would sort out this problem. Sadly it didn't. I'm still hoping it's not a seroius GB problem as I don't want to have to remove this just now.
When I do remove the GB I'm planning on a full rebuild with Quaife diff :D

So next port of call to solve this problem was to look at the GB linkages, these are the OEM standard ones. As the car has done 90,000 miles these are well soft and squidgy.
So as it happens INA/034 Motorsport have just designed new stiffer ones, perfect timing:)
So there was a limited run of these (10) for a reduced price to see what people think of them before these go WORLDWIDE!!
So these are on the way over to me, with a oil catch can and a phenolic gasket.
When working on my car the other day I noticed that some fluid, presumably petrol has been leaking out around the injectors and over the intake manifold. So the injectors will be removed, cleaned and re sealed. Whilst re fitting this I'll fit the insulator gasket to help with heat soak.

So I'll post back after all of these are fitted with hopefully good news :eek:k:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Gear box linkages came today along with a big bad shiney catch can with top filter.

There was a serious break down in the shipper in Aberdeens service.
They had this package for the best part of three weeks before they decided to let me know they had it.
Three feckin weeks, what the feck were they doing with it!!!

Unfortuneately due to my inpatients I had been intouch with Issam several times to find out where this package was.
True to his good service he was just away to send me a whole new shipment.
Thankfully I managed to get a hold of him before he sent it.

So the pile of bits grows and the time to fit these things shrink.
Hopefully next time home I'll get all the bits together and get a few days to fit them.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
New current car spec

Car spec

Engine 1.8 20 VT 210 BHP AMK

BMC CDA CAI
Forge FMIC
Forge Eliminator DV
Full set of Turbo and Intercooler hoses
Sprint Boost thingy
Stage 1 clutch with lightened Steel SMF
2.75" CAT back stainless Steel exhaust

Handling

Rear Neuspeed 28 mm ARB set to mid point
Front S3 strutt brace
Rear LCA polyflex bushes
Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric's
New top mount bushes
034 Motorsport Track Density DBM
034 Motorsport Transmission and engine street density mounts

Braking

EBC Ultimax Discs all round
DS2500 pads front
Pagid fast road pads rear
RBF 600 fluid

Last RR 230 BHP and 218 FT-Lbs (before FMIC and CAT back exhaust) running standard map.

Nev_LCR

Gone... but not forgoten
May 16, 2007
Ipswich, Suffolk
hello mate, i see you just gone for the rear arb, is it worth just the rear, make any difference, any problems with just the rear??

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
been looking at this thread for a while,do you not plan on going for a stage 2 or even 3 remap?
Alright

dunno bud TBH.

I would only remap after getting a Piper DP and freer flowing CAT (200 cell)

My main priority is to get the handling sorted out. Theres still a few bits to sort out with that before I go for go faster bits.
Also brakes will be sorted before more power aswell.

jamiebennett81

Alright

dunno bud TBH.

I would only remap after getting a Piper DP and freer flowing CAT (200 cell)

My main priority is to get the handling sorted out. Theres still a few bits to sort out with that before I go for go faster bits.
Also brakes will be sorted before more power aswell.

great work mate

what Brakes you going for? uprating your Brembo's for a set of six pots?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.