LCR .. twin fans

supercuprar

James whitburn
Mar 11, 2007
Hi people

quick question . do your twin fans on your LCR cut on for a few seconds then cut off again ? mine do im told this isnt right ?

cheers

Hairy

Oct 17, 2004
Wiltshire
Sounds like the slow speed part of the fans has burnt out, same happened to mine and both were replaced under warrantee, it's a fairly common problem.

D3m0n

and it´s fu**ing expensive if you haven´t warranty anymore...

can somebody please look what the price for both Fans is in UK??

we pay about 350 - 400€ in germany... for 2 plastic-fans :blink:

but there is another possibility tu fix the problem if there is no warranty... just ask if it´s needed here!

D3m0n

if you didn´t notice it, it wasn´t burned out, i would say everybody notice the fans if they start at the second stage... the whole car is vibrating, the lights go down, and it´s really loud!

Hairy

Oct 17, 2004
Wiltshire
and it´s fu**ing expensive if you haven´t warranty anymore...

can somebody please look what the price for both Fans is in UK??

we pay about 350 - 400€ in germany... for 2 plastic-fans :blink:

but there is another possibility tu fix the problem if there is no warranty... just ask if it´s needed here!

You've done well, from what I've heard it costs that much in the UK but in £'s not euros!!!

Never noticed my fans on at all on my 04 plate tdi 150 cupra.

I'll probably be corrected but I think this is only an LCR issue.

dchbrown

Feb 17, 2006
South Coast
this is a very common problem on golfs/bora/leon/toledo

its down to the fact that the fans are 2 speed

with aircon on they should run on the low speed setting all the time

the low speed is done by a pair of resitors within the fans - these go over time and the low speed stops working

this means that in order to get the aircon compressor cool it pulses the high speed setting and this then blows the fuses or worse

there are other options than just replacing the fans

have a search around - there is HUGe threads on this subject

supercuprar

James whitburn
Mar 11, 2007
Thanks guys . only got the car 6months ago from seat windsor so ill send it in for them to look at .

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
My LCR has been doing this recently...thought it was normal with the warmer weather?

Is it a simple resistor change if I get it done before the fast fan burns itself out?

Alpha

I replaced the main fan a few weeks ago. It's a bit awkward to get at the fixings but took less than an hour to get the old one out and the new one in. Trick to it is to unbolt the fan from the bracket and then unbolt the bracket and wiggle the fan out.

Part number for the new fan is:
1J0959455F

Got mine for £40 2nd hand.

A

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Just to confirm, as I've read these topics before and thought mine was normal!

Basically with air con on, my fans spin up for a few seconds, make loads of noise then stop again. Then a few seconds later it will do the same, mainly when I'm stopped in traffic, but I may just not be able to hear it when driving. Not tried it with air con off as I leave it on auto all the time. Does this mean the fans are shot?

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Right, it's still under warranty but only for a few weeks so better get it booked in!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I replaced the main fan a few weeks ago. It's a bit awkward to get at the fixings but took less than an hour to get the old one out and the new one in. Trick to it is to unbolt the fan from the bracket and then unbolt the bracket and wiggle the fan out.

Part number for the new fan is:
1J0959455F

Got mine for £40 2nd hand.

A

Cheers A

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.