LCR .. twin fans

mjt

Jul 12, 2008
I've never heard my fans go on, ever.
But like I said my AC has never worked.

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
i read the link you mention redkite and the 14pages and multiple links that refers too.
i am happy i have the issue, an dneed it fixing.
i am not doing this myself as no tools or confidence.
also people do mention it works and same as here some mention some issues.

on here it is noted as being updated but not there.
so, does anyone have the updated one and have they had any issues with it?

Jan 22, 2007
sorry to bump,
but does anyone have the modified nime box? does it work without interfering with the abs or anything else people have noted
or does anyone know part umber for a new fan set and i'll purchase from tps and fit

thanks

quattrojim

yeah i think i have the modified nime box, looking back i bought it after the person from nime said it had been changed.

i must have had it over a year now and i have never had any problems at all, has not interfered with anything, and seems to work perfectly.

only thing i have noticed is when i dont turn AC on the fans will do absolutely nothing, even if the engine gets hot, but as soon as i have AC on then they spin fine at slow speed and if the engine does get hot then they spin up louder and faster.

so i just generally have AC on all the time, im not sure if it should work like this but mine does.

trustme

Hi all,

I've bought and half-installed the nime box - this is the first mod I've done to my 04 LCR, and I'm having real problems putting the Fan Control Module back where it came from! :shrug:

It was hard enough getting access to the bolts to undo them so the FCM would drop down, but I really can't see how I'm supposed to
a) line up the FCM underneath the battery plate so the bolts go in the top (obviously as it's underneath I can't see what's going on!)
b) get enough access to the bolt so that when I have lined things up I can screw them in. (unscrewing was easier, as I didn't have to apply downward pressure)

Obviously there are people who have done this, so was it just luck that things lined up, or are there any tips that may make this easier - how did everyone else fit it back on? :blink: Is there another place to reattach it to?

Please help - I'm beginning to regret even opening the bonnet at the moment!

Last edited by a moderator:

pauljj2001

Fitted mine the other week. Just takes a bit of fettling to get the bolts back in. Found it easier to cut the cable ties off the small loom that runs next to it to make some room. Just a tip, try it all before you put it back together as I didn't and ended up taking it all apart again in the dark. Still haven't got it to work so am going to try a different fan controller next.

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
Hi all,

I've bought and half-installed the nime box - this is the first mod I've done to my 04 LCR, and I'm having real problems putting the Fan Control Module back where it came from! :shrug:

It was hard enough getting access to the bolts to undo them so the FCM would drop down, but I really can't see how I'm supposed to
a) line up the FCM underneath the battery plate so the bolts go in the top (obviously as it's underneath I can't see what's going on!)
b) get enough access to the bolt so that when I have lined things up I can screw them in. (unscrewing was easier, as I didn't have to apply downward pressure)

Obviously there are people who have done this, so was it just luck that things lined up, or are there any tips that may make this easier - how did everyone else fit it back on? :blink: Is there another place to reattach it to?

Please help - I'm beginning to regret even opening the bonnet at the moment!

Did you buy the fan controller recently? I have emailed Nime a few times and they haven't responded to my mails.

trustme

Did you buy the fan controller recently? I have emailed Nime a few times and they haven't responded to my mails.

I emailed nime ([email protected]) on the 9th Aug and got a reply almost exactly an hour later.
I ordered the box on the 10th, and it was sent on the 16th.

All in all, pretty good service!

Something I didn't realise: you'll need a socket set (10mm and 13mm, I think) and some sort of long reach extension. I used a socket adaptor on the end of a drill.
Of course, if you've been under the bonnet before, you'll know that - I'm just a bit of a noob at all this!

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
I emailed nime ([email protected]) on the 9th Aug and got a reply almost exactly an hour later.
I ordered the box on the 10th, and it was sent on the 16th.

All in all, pretty good service!

Something I didn't realise: you'll need a socket set (10mm and 13mm, I think) and some sort of long reach extension. I used a socket adaptor on the end of a drill.
Of course, if you've been under the bonnet before, you'll know that - I'm just a bit of a noob at all this!

I fitted the box almost 3 years ago - and yeah a socket set is essential!

I'm wanting one of their newer boxes as the original design causes the ABS/Traction control warning light to come on. I emailed them twice in July but got no response.

Have tried again now...

pauljj2001

Bought mine a couple of weeks ago. I called them on the number on the invoice. Got an answer and was told email the enquiries address. Had a reply shortly after and recommending that I try shorting two cables to prove the fans out so I will be attempting that tonight. I think my fans controller must b goosed.

trustme

Blown fuse!

I connected up my nime box as per the instructions (and helped enormously by Muttly's guide!), turned the engine on, and started the aircon. Hey presto - slow speed fan! :D

For about four seconds... and then they stopped :cry:

It turns out the in-line fuse (10amp?) on the brown wire had blown. Should I just buy a new fuse and hope that's ok, or does this mean there's a wiring problem somewhere?
It's a bit worrying that it would blow so quickly!

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
I fitted the original Nime box 3 years ago. It fixed my fans but after driving for 20-30 mins with aircon on the ABS/Traction control warning light would appear on the dash.

Received the updated box from Nime 2 weeks ago - fans still working and the warning light no longer appears! :D

Good stuff!

Jan 22, 2007
old revival as need to sort, but new born to be is pinching all money so far!

is this the part that fails do we know?
ebay item: 250429075608
if so, i'll get this as cheaper and hopefully sort asap whilst i can!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
oldman wrote

is this the part that fails do we know?
ebay item: 250429075608
if so, i'll get this as cheaper and hopefully sort asap whilst i can!

No, the slow speed fan failure is brought on by the failure of a resistor that is part of the fan assembly itself. Hence replacing each fan gets you a new resistor (but is an insanely expensive way of doing it).

The alternatives are to replace the resistors with externally mounted ones (cheap, means you can use high-power resistors to stop the failure from recurring, but needs some electrical know-how, DIY heatsinks and mounting, and a soldering iron) or to buy a box from Nime which does the low-speed a different way (switched-mode power control).

pauljj2001

I have a new nine box here somewhere if your interested. Have never got around to fitting it just haven't got the time. Don't know how well they work but I paid about £80 for it last year I'm sure.

srherman

40amp figure of 8 fuse blown

Any one help.

were do i source these figure of 8 fuses from that are located on top of battery? its the 40amp one, i believe its the cooling fan? and anyone know the cost of these?
Cheers

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.