LCR W.I.P Update K04 Hybrid- F23 Here, mini review page 50

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
The F23 sounds like a good upgrade Rob, and having Doug accessible through the forums is a big positive also.
You liking the buzz around n/a cams at the moment.
Each time i see the picture of the cr turbo in the bin make me chuckle :D.With regards exhaust manifolds i think the clock is ticking on which one is going to go tits up first..... your 034 or my V2 relentless:rolleyes:.
How do you rate your God speed brakes Rob.

Alway some many questions Carl, Sorry bout delays, not back from Sunny Chicago long(scarism), there lucky they have nice summers there.

I have been reading about N/a but havent made a fully informed option yet, I do however have some RS4 cams which i recently aquired ready to drop in, i am not sure wether to put them in the BAM head or the AGU head, it would be a nice to know for the BAM heads that they can get gains rather than chaning the whole head which can be a turn off for many folks.

CR can go fcuk... thats that, not talking about it anymore.

Doug on the other hand is the polar opposite, helpful, seems be always online and has an interest.I am really eager to get the F23 on my car, i have been following a few threads on vwvortex and they have really promising results.Doug has gone above and beyond, ever porting out my turbo to suit my 034 manifold along with diligent response on any queries i've had an tend to have alot.

I have not seen to many other European F23 setups, I would really watch this space for the F23 results ;);)

V4 v4 v4

Not without giving that discontinued 034 unit its chance. That manifold has a gaping big 46mm outlet at the flange. So the turbo's got to be machined to match. Something even more opened-up than this

:funk: Nice big mouth there, 46mm, she's throaty alright:D

034 wider than any available std gasket tho.........?

I think gasketless is the only way here, i have seen the BT guys do it but i need to check out the pros/cons., feel free to share.

Hopefully bill has some saved logs from the mapping session. Yes im running a gt2871 clone. Air flow is matching power, the car is running less timing than stock at 5500 rpm and above. Its not happy with more timing but i do have a leaking valve seal or guide, this could cause the reasons for not liking added timing.
Egts are no higher than k04 at 30psi.

The real test will be when my new large port head is built, na cams, wmi and new fuel pump.
I have no doubts the v3 will become the first restriction but it has already exceeded what a k04 hybrid can produce and thats what its built for.

As you have said in your testing on audi sport, with the v3 you have now found the limit for the k04 hotside.

Looking good Sam, hope shes all going well.

P.S Southbend clutch has screwed another slave cylinder on me, looks like the clutch will need to come off again, i am really hesitant to even put another(new) southbend clutch on, its turning in to a total fiasco.......

Last edited:

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
I've been in email with Doug also regarding the F23 prompted by your purchase and agree with your experiences, very approachable and most importantly enthusiastic about his product. What i didn't appreciate is that its completely bespoke including its own turbine / compressor wheel and larger inlet...... you'll need to cnc the TIP adapter. Very impressive, good price and tested to destruction on vwvortex. Still yet to be seen if it can cope with the UK petrol heads though cue you then Robbie.;)

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
I've been in email with Doug also regarding the F23 prompted by your purchase and agree with your experiences, very approachable and most importantly enthusiastic about his product. What i didn't appreciate is that its completely bespoke including its own turbine / compressor wheel and larger inlet...... you'll need to cnc the TIP adapter. Very impressive, good price and tested to destruction on vwvortex. Still yet to be seen if it can cope with the UK petrol heads though cue you then Robbie.;)

Larger inlet, rememeber the turbo formally know as the CR V2, the inlet was like a delicate little princess and broke easy, for sure the TIP adapter will need to be increased in diameter, a few minutes on a laid will do that, luckily it can be modded but i am sure Bill can accommadate also, but first things first, i will be trying out the TIP provided with the F23, let see what that can do.

I guess i am the Honorary Englishman.....One of you boys will have to send me over a George's Cross sticker for the car or would a Union Jack me more fitting in this case.lol:

No doubt i'm gonna dyno the shite out of it.:) So i have no problems being the ginny pig for you.

Last edited:

slappy_dunbar

FrankenTurbo
Sep 1, 2009
www.frankenturbo.com
I know the big-port heads have their allure, but I was never able to definitely prove that performance on an AEB head was any better than it was on the normal BEA narrow-port unit. At least not with an F23. However, it is the case that the "RS4" profile cams were originally developed for a wide-port head. But the benefits might be too intangible to justify the costs.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Larger inlet, rememeber the turbo formally know as the CR V2, the inlet was like a delicate little princess and broke easy, for sure the TIP adapter will need to be increased in diameter, a few minutes on a laid will do that, luckily it can be modded but i am sure Bill can accommadate also, but first thing first, i will be trying out the TIP provided with the F23, let see what that can do.

I guess i am the Honorary Englishman.....One of you boys will have to send me over a George's Cross sticker for the car or would a Union Jack me more fitting in this case.lol:

No doubt i'm gonna dyno the shite out of it.:) So i have no problems being the ginny pig for you.

:D i have a good feeling about this.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
I know the big-port heads have their allure, but I was never able to definitely prove that performance on an AEB head was any better than it was on the normal BEA narrow-port unit. At least not with an F23. However, it is the case that the "RS4" profile cams were originally developed for a wide-port head. But the benefits might be too intangible to justify the costs.

Interesting, i have read losts of discussion that the largeport allows you to run more timing up top, but they were only discussions, i have not seen any definitive logs.

P.S Lighting up my 034 manifold, i swear i seen a flame in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0ecmDpV5e0

P.P.S Carl, i forgot to mention, the Godspeed discs are awesome, i have been running them for 1 year now including several track days and a lip has barely formed on them, i am running them with NDX Bluestuff race pads(not road legal !!) i have given them a pouding, the NDX pads alone have a an extreme bed in process, i think i did 10+ 80mph to 20mph stops consecutively!

Last edited:

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
So my fcking Southbend clutch has blow out another slave cylinder, looks like the transmission will come of for a 3rd time. whats up with some of these aftermarket companies quality, it $hite, SB want the clutch off the car and send back to them for inspection before they send out a new one, great, 3 weeks of the car parked up.

No so happy today.

Last edited:

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
So my fcking Southbend clutch has blow out another slave cylinder, looks like the transmission will come of for a 3rd time. whats up with some of these aftermarket companies quality, it $hite, SB want the clutch off the car and send back to them for inspection before they send out a new one, great, 3 weeks of the car parked up.

No so happy today.

That really sucks :( i was looking at the southbend Clutches last week. I will stay clear.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales

No so happy today.
are you using genuine oe release bearings.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Same thing happening here, but with a ClutchMasters FX400. O2M Haldex transmission. I have blown through 4 slaves, with the fourth already konking out after ~200 miles.

What are Clutchmasters saying, they must have some recommendations for you?
Someone on vwvortex suggested to the pressure plate being overly stiff and putting to much stress on the slave cylinder.

are you using genuine oe release bearings.

yep, LUK, one of the cyclinders came with the clutch.

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
P.P.S Carl, i forgot to mention, the Godspeed discs are awesome, i have been running them for 1 year now including several track days and a lip has barely formed on them, i am running them with NDX Bluestuff race pads(not road legal !!) i have given them a pouding, the NDX pads alone have a an extreme bed in process, i think i did 10+ 80mph to 20mph stops consecutively!

That's good to know I've just fitted the Godspeed rears and I've got there 330mm fronts to fit. :)They're not a bad price either.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Interesting fact of the day, found some gearbox weights posted on VWortex, it is something i often wondered, that 02M is a heavy Mo fo.
I won't say the weights are totally accurate as the dude used his home scales but it does put some perspective on how the 02m shapes up against the other gearboxes.

020=68lb (30.8kg)
02A=85lb (38.5kg)
02M=112lb (50.8kg) wow.

Last edited:

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Robbie, get in on the quaife group buy and fit a diff the next time you drop the gearbox to sort the clutch. I'm fitting the sachs dual mass clutch kit next week hopefully, rated at 380ft/lb i'll let you know how it feels, i'm expecting a heavier pedal feel though.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Robbie, get in on the quaife group buy and fit a diff the next time you drop the gearbox to sort the clutch. I'm fitting the sachs dual mass clutch kit next week hopefully, rated at 380ft/lb i'll let you know how it feels, i'm expecting a heavier pedal feel though.

Jez Carl, i would love to through in a quaife but to be honest between, taxing the car, new tires, TIP, Largeport head, turbo, Shim kits, Oil, Brake fuel, labour etc.... i have spend the bones of 2k this month on the car,,,,,

The clutch is totally screwed, nearly got caught out yesteday overtaking a lorry, couldnt get 4th gear while on the wrong side of the road.

Luckily my NLS shim kit for the 02m has literally just arrived, the trans will be dropped on monday and a new slave and shim kit will be fitted, fingers crossed this fixes the issue....

ANyone know if any guides to installing cam shaft out there?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members