LCR W.I.P Update K04 Hybrid- F23 Here, mini review page 50

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
F23 First impressions.Part1

Well my long awaited F23 is here in all is glory. First impressions are if the packing is anything to go by its gonna be good, I know pople don’t pay much attention to the likes of packing but it can tell you a lot about how it was prepared and the presentation of the F23 is outsanding, all boxes were cleanly and neatly packed with boxes and added packaging that was meant to hold something this size and this weight, covered in the gothic looking Frankenturbo tapes and stickers, you can tell it was packed with diligence and not just throne in by some dude who’s only interest is making it until 5.30 to clock out.

So in the Box was:
  • New version of the F23(Doug could elaborate more)
  • One very fat TIP.( I believe the word, “Phat” is more apt)
  • A monster sized DV with piping.(one of the many optional extras available)
  • Addition plug if you don’t have an EGR.
  • Clamps
  • Oil return valve gaskets.
  • Instructions
  • Stickers.( which my son appreciates)

Starting with the TIP, its pretty hefty thing, very strong 4 ply silicon, you could beat someone with it, its solid, I can get my arm into it down to the turbo inlet part.
The reason for the TIP is the F23 has a larger compressor inlet shroud than the stock K04’s or hybrid K04’s out there.
The mid-section of the TIP is huge, you can hopefully see from the pictures, it does look like it can flow well.
For anyone with the B5 TIPS, it would be a simple affair to have the billet adapter machined out to suit.
My one disappointment with the TIP is that it only comes in black, I am not sure if FT plans other colours in the future as I know how the LCR folks are about their engine bays, me included.
Fitting hasn’t taken place of the TIP so I can’t comment on fitment, but for any of you that have fitted a B5, we know it can be awkward.

Next up is the monster size DV, AKA “The Divertinator” Arnie would be happy, it looks like something that came out of the engine room on a ship, I mean its big, its 130mm from top to bottom and 73mm thick at its widest point, surprisingly light for its size though.
Build quality seems nice, aluminium with brass piston, and it looks relatively maintenance free with is a gripe I have with the Forge DV 007 that needs regular maintenance at a cost. Doug has some video of this in action, I would image it can flow air well, I will fit this to the car ASAP…..

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
F23 First impressions part 2.

F23 time.
The only reference I have from personal handling of the K04’s are my 2 previous CR Hybrids plus the stock K04-23 so I will use the CR stuff as my reference.

Built quality looks great, I am not sure where the parts are sourced from but they look quality, we all know aftermarket source from other sources, this is not secret so don’t kid yourself, CR do it, TD do it, buying a genuine k04-023 and converting it to hybrid is costly with poor ROI, I know believe me, though Doug’s setup is different to stock see below, but I am assured they are built to OEM quality by OEM suppliers.

Starting with the inlet, its bigger internally and externally and thicker that the other hybrid’s.
(These measurement are round up, I am not accounting for the .2mm here and there btw.)

Internally diameter is 49.5-50mm Vs CR’s 46mm, that’s a 3.5-4mm difference, (a bigger wheel must be in there :) )

External diameter is 53.5-54mm Vs the CR 49mm and the shroud is constant, there is not groove in it.

Wall thickness, well we know what happened my Last CR hybrid shroud, it was machined so much it brook off..
The F23 has a constant shroud thickness of just a shade over 3mm VS CR 2.8mm and a ridiculous 1.3mm along the groove of the shroud(this is weak and where my broke)

So now that’s out of the way, I wonder whats in there, the wheel has 2297 written on it, that could be anything though, the 2283 wheel can fit inside a in a 46mm inlet and this one just fits in a 49.5/50mm inlet(it has 0.20mm clearance from the wheel to the housing), I don’t have any more details on this only that it is cast and Doug assures me spool is good, I am sure Doug could elaborate more.

Quick F23 walkaround video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AnqHfNEhUE&list=UU8daQUNZDtvqZCPfAIqkiMw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL-CT4ZWCR4&list=UU8daQUNZDtvqZCPfAIqkiMw&index=1

Exhaust side.
Mine has been ported out to accept my 034 manifold, I must say there is a lot of porting on this turbo the wastegate is huge, you can hopefully see in the picture below, its is ported out to 26mm+ with an oversized 34mm wastegate penny.

The turbine is not clipped and measures around 45mm, its hard to get the calliper in there, what it is I don’t know, I am glad it hasnt been clipped so it must be matched well to the wheel, CR clipped wheels can’t flow much above stock(proven), there overly clipped to be safe and cover themselves but this wastes energy.

The wastegate actuator on mine is 12psi and calibrated perfectly, I checked via my boost gauge. I was surprised on how little the wastegate penny opens, it cracks bang on 12psi but only opens about 10mm at its maximum lever point.(you will see on the vid) Hopefully this will be enough not to creep.

Actuator HD video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCTn2YUu90g&list=UU8daQUNZDtvqZCPfAIqkiMw

What else can I say it exceeds the offering I have seen from CR or TB, the price is very attractive considering its new unit not an exchange/upgrade so you can get some money back when you flog your original K04, I don’t think Doug can be beaten on this point.
Its got a ton of optional extra’s, this is a great point, its a one-stop-shop for a setup, we have all been in the situation where one supplier is blaming the other and your in no mans land and basically fcuked, I guess this approach by FT gives the customer some comeback if anything does go tits up along with these I have had tons of emails back and fort with Doug, very helpful guy.
The bad point is that FT are US based, A UK supplier would be great! But if you can get around the import duties it still saves money.

All that said and done we all know the proof is in the pudding, this turbo will be fitted next week, luckily I have a recent dyno of the CR to pit it against, stay tuned……

Last edited:

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Thanks for the write up Robbie, it all looks great. Well done Doug on a superb package, That spec is going to be hard to beat.
Can't wait for the dyno......you lucky begger Rob.;)

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Mmmm nice! Looking forward to how this performs mate. Get it on asap ;)

Also that is one fat TIP you have there, lol.

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
It looks and sounds impressive, bet you can't wait to get it fitted. Off to go look at FT web site now!

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Turbo is getting fitted Friday, yippeeeee, My old one is on its last legs i think, i was followed by a plume of smoke when i stopped for the lights this morning.....

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
only 2 sleeps to the F23 fitment, picked up a complete DBM tonight with only 2k on it, mine has 30k+ ..time do change. Also gonna put back on the Velocity stack as its only got 200miles on it while the Jetex gets a cleaning.

Roll on Friday.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Popcorn and beer, mmmmmm. I did my current turbo logs last night, there were brutal not much over a stock k04, I was thinking about pickin up a new MAF, but i will hold off, i want to see like for like.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members