Le Mans 2006

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
We were pondering going to Le Mans for the 24hr race 17/18 June next year, has anyone on here been in recent years and knows the drill?

Things like:

Ferry/tunnel costs
Admission (it's partly public roads but I'm sure they won't miss the opportunity to fleece the public)
Spectating viewpoints
Camping
How tall a stepladder do you need to see over all the other spectators (!?)

Any info gratefully received ;)

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
i go every year for last 5 years,

do a search on here as loads of threads from this years re booking, best o get camping sorted out soon if you want good spots, i blieve tickets are available soon as well.

This year was fecking unbearable in the heat, was 38 c, makesure you take a swimming pool and comfy shoes. and a damn good camera.
also search google as lots of sites re Le mans, There was 30 of us who went in a group this year, and the cars in our group ranged from my little beza to a Lotus esprit and an SL500 merc,

but Le mans is one of the only places in the world that you will end up camped next to some guy with a Zonda, last year we camped next to the EVO boys which was quite fun cos one fo them brought along a 360CS and a big american police car.

WHatever you do, maesure you go, as you are not a petrol head till you've done Le Mans.

Brighton Femme

Feb 22, 2005
Brighton, Uk
I'm planning to go in in 06.. I've never been before.. but putting my £150 deposit down soon for camping.. been told £600 budget is about right!?

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
What, £600.00 just for camping? I know European campsites are rather better equipped than our fields, but £600.00 for some grass, a shower block and some bogs? :confused:

Brighton Femme

Feb 22, 2005
Brighton, Uk
Muzorewa said:
What, £600.00 just for camping? I know European campsites are rather better equipped than our fields, but £600.00 for some grass, a shower block and some bogs? :confused:

I meant for the whole trip! :p Fuel, camping,food (not booze tho!), crossing etc.

Sara

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Phew!! It's just the way you said £150 deposit for camping. :doh:

Done a brief search on the net, http://www.lemansrace.com/oncircuitprices.asp seems to offer a reasonable package, £189.00 each for ferry, on-circuit camping & race tickets, Friday to Monday. At least takes the risk out of booking somewhere and then being surprised/disappointed/totally pissed off when you arrive :blink:

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
try JustTickets.co.uk (either that or .com) I booked my tickets with them last year and they seem pretty good. For the cheapest way to get to France use SpeedFerries.co.uk (.com) It only cost £50 return for a car with upto 4 people.

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Tavia4x4 said:
Ok just looked at justtickets and confused as hell!

I guess I need "general enclosure" ticket, do I also need a "layby" ticket for camping?
Yeah, read the notes at the bottom. As a minimum you'll need general enclosure to gain access to most of the track, and a lay-by for camping. I reckoned £50.00 ferry (speedferries), £55.00 admission (lad goes free) and £53.00 camping (for the pitch for the duration), that's £158.00 total for me and the lad. The other package I posted about earlier would have been £378.00 for the pair of us.

Just need to learn some French. "Deux croissants s'il vous plait" ;)

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Tavia4x4 said:
ah I got it, and the camping link.... cool, £196 for me and the missus.

Now, do I risk announcing this as our honeymoon? :D
She is a lucky woman!! :D Mind you, I took mine to the Outer Hebrides in a Series 2 Land-Rover! :blink:

I think the camping bit ( http://www.justtickets.co.uk/lemans/lemans_jmcl.htm ) is this year, but prices look ok to me. The price on http://www.justtickets.co.uk/lemans/lemans.htm is next year. No idea which site to go for, except that most don't have showers, only bogs. Le Houx has showers but you're paying extra for that.

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
My mates usualy win the "beer bottle triangle challenge" every year....

:lol:

Edit

this is them... my godfather Bob (in red) and his kids!
(Well the three closest to him are his kids!)

mwmountain1.jpg

Last edited:

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Ok, just booked with justtickets. :p Camping nearly all sold out, only four sites left, Beausejour, Chappelle, Expo and TechnoPark. Of these Beausejour seemed best, but none of them really ideal. No chance of Le Houx, Maison Blanche or Karting Nord, which were my preferred choices. :(

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Grayboy said:
All booked up there's 26 of us so far 10 cars including , M3, Evo4, Elise, Clio V6 can't wait for this!
When are you travelling - we're going Thursday, returning Monday. Speedferries Dover/Boulogne.

Interesting warnings about gendarmes on the net, giving instant 3-day bans so if you haven't got a spare driver you're absolutely knackered. You could always adhere to the speed limit, but would be easy to make a mistake. :blink: