Leaking boot - help

tommayo88

May 8, 2016
Hi everyone, I'm currently having a problem with water leaking inside the boot door of my exeo estate.

I've replaced both lights units with new carriers and replaced the LED rear center brake light thinking it might be the the seals that have failed/perished.

Everytime it rains and I set off I can hear the water moving inside the bottom of the boot trapped and when i lift the boot it streams out the drivers part of the plastic trim.

PLEASE any ideas on how to tackle this problem or if anybody has had same what can I do next.

Thanks

Tom

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

chris_foci

Apr 3, 2006
Ive had the same problem and couldnt find where it was getting in, I tried everything.

What i have done it this....

Open the boot lid and on the underside between the plastic interior trim and the outer skin of the boot at each end you will see two plastic/rubber grommets that are rectangular in shape, they are quite small. Remove them both and all the water will drain straight out and any further water will also drain away and stop it sloshing around.

This isnt an ideal solution but it does stop the build up.

If you find where it is getting in then please let me know as I would like to find out!!

tommayo88

May 8, 2016
Thanks chris for the tips. Anything helps when your scratching your head on what to do next.

I'm thinking it might be the seals around the window. I think what's needed is to take the the plastic trim off upper/bottom part and get someone to hose pipe the car while I sit in the boot.

I believe from reading old threads on here it's a bit of pig taking the plastic trim off.

Oh the joys.......I'll keep you posted chris.

Tom

JR_130

Mar 24, 2009
i had the same problem on my Mk4 Ibiza, eventually discovered there was a small hole in the recess where the light fitting sits recessed in the boot (would never see it wile the light was in place)
the joins in the metal did not overlap quite enough, so I filled the hole with silicone sealant and the problem stopped.

JR_130

Mar 24, 2009
i had the boot interior off to swap the wiper motor, and took the opportunity to clean around the light clusters & change bulbs, i could see daylight from the inside with the light clusters out.

tommayo88

May 8, 2016
Hey guys, it seems to of worked.

Didn't noticed any leaks with the boot trim off so I put a beading of clear sealant around the light cluster and that has seemed to prevail.

It's bouncing down and has been left for a few hours and no leak. Must be a design fault with the lights being brand new. If the cluster had a fixing pushing it sideways aswell the back fixing I think it would be better.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.