LED headlights

Deemeek

Feb 25, 2009
Hi just wondering if anyone has this problem. I got my mk3 leon about a month ago and every time there is heavy rain or I wash the car the LED headlights have condesation on them. It's about an inch line along the bottom of the light? Going back to the dealer this week just wondering if anyone know why this is

Deemeek

Feb 25, 2009
Such as nice car and that is letting it down
2yvyqe5a.jpg

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
Yup, same as the demo's one also had its fog's misted up, seems strange as LED lights run so much cooler the halogen type bulbs.

Deemeek

Feb 25, 2009
I'm not happy about it but I don't know wat the solution is. New headlights ?

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Common issue on ALL clear lens headlights. If you have a pool of water building up it can be changed but just condensation is normal. I know some folk with the mk2 leon put the silica gel bags inside the rear of the headlight to help soak up moisture.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Unfortunately I don't think much can be done, especially in our moist climate at this time of the year.

There is water vapour in the air around us all the time, it gets inside these units and some condensation will occur. They are classed as sealed units but I would assume not vacuum sealed, I can't see how they could be without costing a huge amount of money.

In drier warmer weather it doesn't happen so often and clears much quicker when it does.

But once you have vapour inside it's going to be difficult for it to escape so you end up with a cycle of condensation.

Used to happen with my Mk2 Cupra too. I've seen the same effect in other brands of cars inc Audi and BMW.

The temperature of the main lights would often clear the condensation after a few mins.

However I would assume like most LED lamps they give off much less ambient heat so are probably not aiding to the clearing of condensation build up.

I understand it looks a bit naff, but unless your getting a lot of trapped water building up inside it ain't effecting the operation of the lamps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Common issue on ALL clear lens headlights. If you have a pool of water building up it can be changed but just condensation is normal. I know some folk with the mk2 leon put the silica gel bags inside the rear of the headlight to help soak up moisture.

Silica would certainly help short term but left outside in a cold damp climate the silica will soon become saturated from the moisture around it in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jc_boc

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
I have the LED headlights and sadly mine do this too.

I think Zboyd has hit the nail on the head.

All cars looks worse in winter than they do in summer, this is just one more thing that makes ours look that little bit worse :(

sweetfr

Misty
Nov 24, 2007
Co Durham
Hi all

This happened to my headlights when driving in heavy rain. I read this section in the owners manual on page 110 and sure enough they cleared.

Note

In cold or damp weather conditions, the headlights, tail lights and turn sig- nals may mist up inside temporarily. This is normal and in no way effects the useful life of the vehicle lighting system.

Deemeek

Feb 25, 2009
Buggers! Means it's sumthing we will have to deal with. It does clear away after a while

NinjaPirateUK

Alor Blue Leon SC 1.8 TSI
Sep 7, 2009
My Mk2 used to do it occasionally, and I have noticed it on my Mk3 too.

To be honest, as long as it's not there permanently or a puddle is forming in the bottom of the light cluster, I wouldn't worry too much. It seems to sort itself out in my experience.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Yeah it matters! It's an expensive buy and steamy headlights look crap!!!

It wasn't expensive - it was free!

Who exactly goes round looking at your headlights?

Get in it and drive it - that's what it's for and a wonderful car it is.

If you would rather sit in front of it and moan about a bit of condensation then save up for a Mercedes!

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
In the UK LED headlights and the Tech Pack are included in the price. They certainly are not in Spain and other European countries and are a very expensive option.

So they mist up on a cold day - so does your windscreen. It is hardly a deal breaker.

Just get on and enjoy driving it - believe me, no one else is going to notice your headlight condensation.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.