LED headlights

Deemeek

Feb 25, 2009
Oh yeah the headlights were 'free' but the car wasn't haha!

I do enjoy driving it! I only put the post up because I didn't know if it was normal!

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
It wasn't expensive - it was free!

Who exactly goes round looking at your headlights?

Get in it and drive it - that's what it's for and a wonderful car it is.

If you would rather sit in front of it and moan about a bit of condensation then save up for a Mercedes!

Mine were not, I had to pay :)

Nothing is free, its all built into the price you pay for the car

Pop in to your local seat dealer and ask them if you can have a pair of their "free headlights" to take away :D

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
So they mist up on a cold day - so does your windscreen. It is hardly a deal breaker.

Maybe not, but having to start the car and wait at least 10 minutes while the windscreen clears before i can drive the car is bloody annoying and not great for the engine to be running on tickover without moving whilst cold or for the fuel economy :censored:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Are yours misting up?

It's ok for you to be annoyed because u bought yours :p

:D

Yes and the windscreen

But as I got a huge discount on the car some may say I effectively got the windscreen and windows for free, so its ok if they mist up, they were free ;)

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Sorry to go off topic but, yeah, how crap is the window de-mister?

To come from an old 57 fiesta st with heated front screen is a major step backwards. 'Max' does near sod all. I make a rule never to wipe the inside of my windows and just keep them as clean as possible but the mist lately is worse than the ice....

I like the fact that there is the option in the settings in the infotainment system for 'auxiliary heater' which has all the effect of jacks excrement. I am pretty sure there is an electric heater if yiu have the winter pack (which I dont) so that option clears my window with hopes and dreams.....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
I had the option to buy them but at the price asked they were not worth the money just like the satnav which many owners on this forum are complaining about.

My TomTom and iPhone do a much better job and in my opinion the standard lights look much better.

Of course, many people will disagree with this as they think there is something special about having the latest high tech solution to a problem that didn't really exist just because most other cars don't have them - very sad!

How come millions of drivers have been happy with halogen lights for so long?

I don't recollect that the authorities who measure accidents have ever blamed poor lights as a cause of accidents.

Give SEAT UK the credit for including such a marginally useless package to keep the buyers happy thinking they are getting a good deal when all the owners are interested in is oneupmanship compared to owners of other makes. Interestingly it doesn't get offered in other countries - they just get bigger discounts instead! You won't see a Leon with LEDs in Spain unless it was an ex-demonstrator.

Deemeek

Feb 25, 2009
I think the LEDs look really well. But that's my opinion. There was prob nothing wrong with the halogen but the LED is more modern and car manufactures have to move with the times and the time is halogen is out and LED is in. I'm an electrician and even in homes and commercial premises all bulbs r changing to LED.

As for the sat nav. I quite like it....

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I had the option to buy them but at the price asked they were not worth the money just like the satnav which many owners on this forum are complaining about.

My TomTom and iPhone do a much better job and in my opinion the standard lights look much better.

Of course, many people will disagree with this as they think there is something special about having the latest high tech solution to a problem that didn't really exist just because most other cars don't have them - very sad!

I don't recollect that the authorities who measure accidents have ever blamed poor lights as a cause of accidents.

Give SEAT UK the credit for including such a marginally useless package to keep the buyers happy thinking they are getting a good deal when all the owners are interested in is oneupmanship compared to owners of other makes. Interestingly it doesn't get offered in other countries - they just get bigger discounts instead! You won't see a Leon with LEDs in Spain unless it was an ex-demonstrator.

Wow that was a bit harsh

Its progress, its the reason you have halogen headlights and not tungsten carbide

Lots of people were happy with candles and caves, but things move on

As for authorities not attributing accidents to a lack of lighting, simple , blaming everything on speeding makes better headlines :)

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE

I remember when H4 halogen headlights first came about. At the time people had R2 incandescent bulbs in their headlights. People with your attitude would say that halogens were too bright and dazzled other drivers. They then said "what's wrong with my R2 incandescent headlights"?

I'll tell you now, you wouldn't want them.

Times change. I don't know about LED's because I've not had a go with them but my factory Bi-xenons are fantastic and well worth the money. I'm never going back to halogens........................no AC.......... a 4 speed box..............a cassette player..........................or keep fit windows.

Reactions: Andy

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Tell you one thing that is a big bonus about LED's never need to be replaced.....

In my last car I went through a set of bulbs every 3 months....

They give an awesome crisp yet not harsh white light, they use less power, its another step forward, I could go on.....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Wow that was a bit harsh

Its progress, its the reason you have halogen headlights and not tungsten carbide

Possibly a bit harsh but you mustn't lose sight of the fact that you are driving slower every year on the UK roads due to congestion and that is not going to improve.

Just what exactly can LED headlights do to improve the driving experience or improve safety under those conditions?

The truth is that LED lights reduce the load on the engine driven alternator and hence improve the CO2 emission figures to keep the EU happy without actually adding much to the driving experience apart from giving bragging rights.

It's just like the start/stop technology. A complete waste of time for the user but it keeps the emissions down. 7 speed DSG boxes when the engines have torque to spare, KERS systems just to cut down the cost of the AC, etc etc.

It wouldn't be so bad if the EU emissions tests were even remotely connected to reality. Look at all these crazy hybrid cars that produce amazingly low emissions but only run for 20 miles on their batteries.

The world has gone climate change crazy to the very real detriment of the car users. Some of the new developments such as these amazing turbo petrol engines are brilliant but some of the other developments are complete rubbish from a user point of view.

That's just the opinion of a grumpy old man who has been driving for 54 years but I do think there may be a grain of truth in it.

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
One advantage of the Leon's LED headlights is in the unlikely event of one LED failing, its only one LED. Theres not much difference to the driver or others on the road in seeing the car.

If a halogen or xenon bulb fails, you're immediately down to 50% visibility.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
One advantage of the Leon's LED headlights is in the unlikely event of one LED failing, its only one LED. Theres not much difference to the driver or others on the road in seeing the car.

If a halogen or xenon bulb fails, you're immediately down to 50% visibility.

True but my last Leon never had a failed bulb in 14 years. The same goes for most of my previous cars.

That's a pretty tenuous argument for spending nearly £1000 on a set of lights!

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
Wow, we should send Fred to the detailing section, he'll make sure that everyone are using only a microfiber that will make the roads safer to drive.

LED headlights (and backlights) are cool. Fsck all the other reasons. :)

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I think Fred lives in sunny Spain. Most here live in dark gloomy UK. I lived in a country area where street lights are rare and odd things in the road are frequent. Also as we age our visual acuity declines. Anything which improves night vision is worth having x10.
One small ding or, forbid it, a prang outweighs any financial concerns about running costs or even purchase costs. Let's here it for safety too.,

Shiners

Jun 29, 2013
Scotland
I think Fred lives in sunny Spain. Most here live in dark gloomy UK. I lived in a country area where street lights are rare and odd things in the road are frequent. Also as we age our visual acuity declines. Anything which improves night vision is worth having x10.
One small ding or, forbid it, a prang outweighs any financial concerns about running costs or even purchase costs. Let's here it for safety too.,

Wholeheartedly agree with that. SEAT UK offering LEDs free as part of the Tech Pack is a very clear message (pardon the pun) that they back that view too! :)

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
I guess it's so long since I drove in the UK that I have forgotten that it gets dark so early in winter and just how much traffic there is on the roads.

Apart from in the cities the traffic density in Spain is very low and the motorways are very good. The best lighting feature on the Leon is the automatic lights. There are dozens of long tunnels on the motorways and dipped headlights are mandatory and the fines can be very high if you forget to put your lights on.

On my old Leon all the plastic coating on the light switch had worn off completely due to constantly turning them on and off!

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
So there we have it.
Thanks to the amazing range of options on our cars, we can choose what suits each of us best

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.