LED headlights

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
That's true up to a point but in the UK the tech pack is not an option. What if you would prefer to spend the money on an engine upgrade or DSG for example.

SEAT Spain gave me about €2000 towards extras of my choice which I found preferable. They even gave me a €600 "loyalty" bonus for being an existing customer. In the end the total discounts amounted to over €6000.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
According to my dealer, used cars without the Tech Pack are difficult to move on. Yet another consideration in this thread - depreciation with and without.

Shiners

Jun 29, 2013
Scotland
It's still included as a free gift.

http://www.seat.co.uk/content/uk/brand/en/models/new-leon/technology/technology-pack.html

I don't there is an option to take the money instead.

Why would there be an option to take the money when SEAT UK currently offer the Tech Pack as a freebie? They make it quite clear that the Tech Pack is Free, yes?

As for "It's still included as a free gift", that is only true if the retail customer so choses to include that option when placing their order. Wise decision if you do chose this option because it is a bargain and will likely make selling the car at a later date easier and rather more attractive to a propective buyer. And as dephead2004 quite rightly points out - the affect depreciation may have on the car with or without the Tech Pack.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Yes I appreciate all that and clearly selling one without the tech pack will be a problem as to all intents and purposes they are a standard fitment on UK cars.

My point was purely that it might be nicer to have the option to spend the 2k gift on options/upgrades of your choice as I did.

Shiners

Jun 29, 2013
Scotland
Yes I appreciate all that and clearly selling one without the tech pack will be a problem as to all intents and purposes they are a standard fitment on UK cars.

My point was purely that it might be nicer to have the option to spend the 2k gift on options/upgrades of your choice as I did.

No disrespect Fred but we both live in different countries and are subject to different pricing policies. Whether we agree with those policies is another matter :)

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
When the original offer was introduced (to the UK at least) it was essentially half price as SEAT footed half the cost.

But the dealer network now foot the other half of the bill. So its essentially 50% free from SEAT the other 50% is paid for by the supplying dealer. A marketing sweetener to get people to sign on for a new car.

Hence why its probably a limited programme, unless SEAT decide to make them fully standard equipment in the future.

Last edited:

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
I'm not complaining - quite the opposite. It would be interesting to understand how these decisions are made - I assume it's a local decision.

The other difference here is that dealer margins are much lower than in the UK so there are very few local deals apart from what the manufacturer gives.

Jun 15, 2013
When I bought my Leon the pack including LED lights was a £500 option instead of the £2000 originally listed. But that only applied to cars that were factory orders or had been built to include the LED lights. My car was in stock thus it was not an option but at least I got immediate delivery (4 days) and a big discount (£3000).

In 5 years time no will be bothered if its got LED's providing its in good condition.

Shiners

Jun 29, 2013
Scotland
When I bought my Leon the pack including LED lights was a £500 option instead of the £2000 originally listed. But that only applied to cars that were factory orders or had been built to include the LED lights. My car was in stock thus it was not an option but at least I got immediate delivery (4 days) and a big discount (£3000).

In 5 years time no will be bothered if its got LED's providing its in good condition.

Beg to differ (surprise-surprise:D). If I was in the market for a recent secondhand motor and was looking at two nice clean simillar mileage identical models with simillar options i.e one fitted with DAB and decent/smart looking LEDs, and the other minus the LEDs but priced say £200 cheaper, then I know which car I would be going after... ;)

madog

AKA Victor Meldrew
Oct 21, 2002
Brighton
Visit site
Led head lights

The tech pack is not "free". The dealer has to pay over £700 for it which means that the buyer will have at least that amount less on any discount.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013

Buyers are a lot more picky these days than in the old days when a car was just a means of getting from a to b
In 5 years time there will be a lot of second hand leons on lthe market so buyers will have plenty to choose, a car without the technology pack will have to be a lot cheaper to stand a chance in a sea of technology pack equipped Leons

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
The tech pack is not "free". The dealer has to pay over £700 for it which means that the buyer will have at least that amount less on any discount.

That's sort of been covered

Are you a seat dealer?

You seem upset that dealers have to fork out £700?

poor mites these seat garage owners, maybe we can have a whip round

I know the owners of my local dealers is having a hard time, both their Bentleys are only 2013 models :p

Jun 15, 2013
Buyers are a lot more picky these days than in the old days

If someone buying a used Leon in 5 years time puts LED headlamps on top of his list of requirements they will deserve all they get.

A sensible buyer will look at the whole car and make a sensible decision.

Not having LED lamps is not a problem for me and I suspect will not be a problem for a buyer in 5 years time.

We had a Mini Cooper "S", bought it in 2005. The dealer told us that we must have the Xenon lamps, it we didn't we would never sell it. After 3 years we part chopped it against a BMW at the same dealership, got top book for it and a good discount off the new 1 series. Did he even mention the lack of Xenon lamps, course not.

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
True but my last Leon never had a failed bulb in 14 years. The same goes for most of my previous cars.

That's a pretty tenuous argument for spending nearly £1000 on a set of lights!

I was only responding to your comments around them not offering any additional safety over halogen ;)

When it comes to spending extra money on 'safety' most see it as a waste of money, a bit like insurance. It's only for manufacturers and governments pushing for things to be the 'norm' that you have things like airbags, crumple zones, DRL's, efficient fuel usage etc in cars at all.

Not sure what others paid, but I paid £535 for the entire tech pack. Most retailers claim it's 'free' to people paying RRP/MOTRP. The fact is customers don't know the true cost because cars packaged up and sold. It's like a package holiday, it costs say £2000, they can higher or lower the cost of things on the itinerary like airfare or hotel costs as much as they like, but it still costs £2000 in the end.

If I didn't want the 'free' tech pack on my car I'd of saved £535, I just wanted all the extra stuff in the tech pack though, I'm a geek.

I had a Mk4 Ibiza with halogens 2 cars ago, and although I have no doubts things have improved since, there's no way I wanted to be driving on unlit country roads by candlelight ever again!

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
Very similar thing happened with the MK2 LCR

they introduced them without xenon's and NAV, i for one would never buy a 2nd hand one without them

Same goes for if i was to every buy a Mk3

Shiners

Jun 29, 2013
Scotland
If someone buying a used Leon in 5 years time puts LED headlamps on top of his list of requirements they will deserve all they get.

A sensible buyer will look at the whole car and make a sensible decision.

Not having LED lamps is not a problem for me and I suspect will not be a problem for a buyer in 5 years time.

We had a Mini Cooper "S", bought it in 2005. The dealer told us that we must have the Xenon lamps, it we didn't we would never sell it. After 3 years we part chopped it against a BMW at the same dealership, got top book for it and a good discount off the new 1 series. Did he even mention the lack of Xenon lamps, course not.

Who said anything about putting LEDs at the top of the list of their requirements? Sorry but I'm finding your posts to be more amusing than helpful :)

Jun 15, 2013
Who said anything about putting LEDs at the top of the list of their requirements? Sorry but I'm finding your posts to be more amusing than helpful :)

Well if you cannot understand English perhaps you should get some education. Not being able to understand the written word is not a laughing matter.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise