LED interior illumination

weatherlight

I am also interested with LED lightening. Unfortunately full LED headlights and tail lights were an extra 1100€ (combined with dark tinted rear windows and rear parking sensor), so I could not afford them. I thought perhaos small LED bulbs of interior, day time running, park, signal, brake lamps could be installed. Since this car has an adaptive alternator, less electricity comsumption will mean less fuel consumption :)
Can anyone tell me what brand, bulb standards I can get for these lamps?

Thank you

Superfane

Can anyone do a short video/post some pictures with how the interior looks like with this option?

faw13

Sep 2, 2013
Hi,

I didnt order my car with the led interior package, but i was using leds on my old car (2011 Civic Sedan) so while selling it, i took of the bulps and fitted them into my new FR, the interior now looks as it should be, especially foot part lighting really needs leds, those standart bulbs dont even look like they are working, even in nights

I wish there was a way of making the door panel leds (the white/red switching one) brighter too, its almost invisible when it is white, even in midnight with no illumination around. Red is better but i dont like the idea of driving the car always on Sports mode just to see those red lights on :)

LeonSC

Hi,

I didnt order my car with the led interior package, but i was using leds on my old car (2011 Civic Sedan) so while selling it, i took of the bulps and fitted them into my new FR, the interior now looks as it should be, especially foot part lighting really needs leds, those standart bulbs dont even look like they are working, even in nights

I wish there was a way of making the door panel leds (the white/red switching one) brighter too, its almost invisible when it is white, even in midnight with no illumination around. Red is better but i dont like the idea of driving the car always on Sports mode just to see those red lights on :)

How easy was it to change these bulbs for LEDs? Could you post model numbers or where you purchased the LEDs from so that I can do the same when my car arrives? I'm sure many people avoided this option not because of cost, but because of the potential extra lead time on the order.

Thanks!

faw13

Sep 2, 2013
I live in Turkey so I got the bulbs from a local store, i dont have part numbers but the brand is PHOTON

All you need is a precision screwdriver set, the thinnest one will do the job (straight one)

I cant post images since i am new, wanted to show you what type of bulbs were needed, but if you take off the parts, you can see what is needed, then go to a shop and buy the right ones

you need 8 bulbs total, 4 is park light type leds, the other 4 are interior bulb type leds

using the screwdriver, take out the covers, then take off the bulbs and put on the new ones, leds differ on +/- sides so turn the light on, if it doesnt light on, switch the ends and try again

make up lights and foot lights are easy to take off, you will see the socket, unplug it, take of the cover and you will find the bulp, change it and pack the set again, pust it back in its place (a little force might be needed to make sure its in place)

the driver map lights are little bit tricky, first you need to take off the cover, the you will find another aluminum piece under it, using the same technique, take off that aluminum too, then you can change the bulbs and put everything back on

all you have to do is, put the screwdriver 2-3 cm away from the edges and push it in between the transparent plastic and the frame, then giving a little bit of angle, pulling it back to the ground, the piece comes out, but be careful not to apply over-force, since the plastic is thin and you might break/scratch it

I hope i was able to help, if you got questions, i can take some photos on how to do it

The total of pieces cost me about 30 Turkish Liras which is around 12-13 €

LeonSC

Thanks for the info! I'll have a go at this when I get my car

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Just asked SEAT UK, and the pack is basically a bulb upgrade, all interior lights, including footwells, reading lights etc all changed to bright led bulbs instead of the usual filament type.

Last edited:

LeonSC

Just asked SEAT UK, and the pack is basically a bulb upgrade, all interior lights, including footwells, reading lights etc all changed to bright led bulbs instead of the usual filament type.

Sounds DIY-able then :)

metomurti

Apr 26, 2013
There is a new video below. As I understand from this video the optional led interior light pack does not contains only the change of normal bulbs but also it contains the changing of slim light system of the doors with all led technology. Maybe it will be more visible with this option in daylight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVJ092avokY

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
I would have thought the doors use LEDs regardless whether the pack is ordered or not. I can't imagine normal bulbs being used on the doors for that thin strip.

masher69

Sep 29, 2013
Northamptonshire
You can change the led brightness of the footwell and door panel in the settings. When I picked up my car I didn't think I had door illumination with the drive profile but it was only set on 50% brightness.
Would be nice if it was brighter during the day though.

Superfane

No video with a real LED interior (not a computer rendering like in the youtube video posted before)? I've seen an after-market LED interior in a Passat and I was really disappointed by it (it was very bad for my eyes - similar with the light emitted by some of the busses in London). That made me decide against taking the LED interior, but I was curious to see if a factory installed interior is better.

Amigu

I have the factory installed led interior. It gives the car a more luxury feel inside at night times. Not really a must have feature in my eyes. Most guys I had in the car don't even notice it, though the girls do and they complement it.

The light is not harsh by the way. It doesn't strain my eyes, and like I said you need a girl's sense of detail to notice it.

Last edited by a moderator:

heliliam

Aug 11, 2013
any one got some god pics of the lights in the doors white and red so see how bright they actually are ? only seen the picture in the brochure and its another month till i get mine :(

StylancePaul

CUPRA Owner
May 31, 2006
Cambridge, UK
any one got some god pics of the lights in the doors white and red so see how bright they actually are ? only seen the picture in the brochure and its another month till i get mine :(

I would not get too excited about them, they are not really visible in direct daylight, though they do make the car look great at night time (twilight is best i think). People who have been in the car mistake the white for a strip of chrome/metal, its only when I press the Sports button they realise its a lighting effect.

When I'm out in the car tomorrow evening, I'll try get some pictures. You can also change the brightness through the car setup screen, along with pretty much all of the other interior lighting.

heliliam

Aug 11, 2013
ahh right was hoping they would be as bright as in the manual :( but oh well at least they look good at night and that would be great if you could do thos pics thank you i originally ordered the led pack as i thought that was the only way to get the light strips in the doors :\

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
I was going to order mine with LED interior originally. I changed my mind when I heard that they don't actually change all bulbs/fittings to LED's.
Cheaper to buy the bulbs and change them yourself.

metomurti

Apr 26, 2013
I was going to order mine with LED interior originally. I changed my mind when I heard that they don't actually change all bulbs/fittings to LED's.
Cheaper to buy the bulbs and change them yourself.

What do they do actually? What did you hear about this?
Yes it is true that all the normal bulbs in the car will be changed with the led ones. It is the main idea of led interior option.

Superfane

Aren't special LED drivers needed as well? I know that you can just change the bulbs to retrofit LEDs, but I was expected that the factory installed option to have different drivers/electronics for LEDs (this is what I mean www luxdrive com/products/what-is-a-driver)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.