LED's finally fitted.

Today, i finally fitted the LED's to the Beeza,
now got 36's refractors in front and rear indicators (amber)
36's refractor on stop/tail red
single dome red inner pair of tail
single dome wedge in front sidelights.
Just got reversing light to do (still haven't bought that one yet)

here's a few pics, as you can see, the shitter (sorry, gritter) lorries are have been out in force, and i haven't got round to washing either cars yet!!!!!!!

hisnhersdirtycars.jpg

newfrontleds.jpg

dirtybeeza.jpg

newledswithindicator.jpg

frontleds.jpg

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
Great work!

When you say "refractor", what do you mean? Can you post a link to the specific product that you used?

I've returned the two pairs of 501 tail-lights that I've tried so far, to exchange for a different pair that should hopefully give a better combination of brightness and light distribution.

I also notice that Ultraleds have a new product in their catalogue that looks like a good choice for the stop-and-tail lights: click!

refractor cluster bulbs have some fscing forward, some facing sideways, and some facing backwards.
this helps to "fill" to lens area with Bounced light, rather than the laserlike direct pin point
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x24-LED-CAR-...ryZ72233QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this a link to some similar ones, which show the refraction pattern
mine came from warden_jp2002 (e-bay seller in hong kong)

remember, you need "offset" pin bulbs all round for the indicators, and maybe need to switch the polarity. i did in one corner, the other three were ok.

T. Spark

No weird warning lights on ya dash?! or owt?

Can w have some night time piccies aswell please? looks like a job well done!

I want to do this to mine when money isnt a issue like the rest of the mods I want :D

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
looks nice that, they lok brighter than my main beams, any trouble with heat and too much of it Etc??

Sir SparkSter said:
No weird warning lights on ya dash?! or owt?

Can w have some night time piccies aswell please? looks like a job well done!

I want to do this to mine when money isnt a issue like the rest of the mods I want :D

That's the down side!!!!!!!!!!!!!

although the indicators flash at the normal rate, the dash repeater flashes at twice the rate it should, you get used to it

and the 3rd brake light is dimly lit at tho mo, i need to get some load resisters

orca said:
How much does it cost and how do you switch polarity??

There are many differences between stock bulbs, and LED's one of which is the direction which current flows through in order to produce light,

Bulbs or bi-directional, thus meaning it doesn't matter which pin is earth and which is live, current flows from live to earth, job done.

LED's must have the flow fromthe live pin to the return pin, or else, no light.

Cost to switch polarity is none, time taken was less than 30 seconds.

the fronts on the Ibiza luckily have crimp connectors to the bulb holder, simply remove, swap them over and plug them back in.

other cars my not have this fortune, simply cut the wires (one at a time :doh: ) and reconnect the other way round

T. Spark

Cheers, they do look very good! Im skint tho :(

Mayve after X-mas :D

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
Just a couple more questions...

When you mention that the dash repeater flashes at double rate - is it just the little light in the panel that flashes too fast, or does the clicky noise go too fast as well? If it's just the little light then I agree that's easy to live with.

Also, can you confirm that it's really offset bulbs on all four corners for the indicators? The manual of mine implies that the fronts are offset, but the rears are the same type of bulb as the fog light and reversing light, both of which are definitely inline bulbs. Seems like the manual is wrong?

dmjw01 said:
Just a couple more questions...

When you mention that the dash repeater flashes at double rate - is it just the little light in the panel that flashes too fast, or does the clicky noise go too fast as well? If it's just the little light then I agree that's easy to live with.

Also, can you confirm that it's really offset bulbs on all four corners for the indicators? The manual of mine implies that the fronts are offset, but the rears are the same type of bulb as the fog light and reversing light, both of which are definitely inline bulbs. Seems like the manual is wrong?

yes it goes "clicky" at twice the speed,
and absolutely correct, fronts are offset, rears are standard P21's (same as reverse/fog etc)

AlphaMale

Apr 28, 2005
Cardiff
Hmmmm tempted to get these myself but don't want my car performing up on me.

You have these in your side lights yehh? and that is what is giving that Xenon look to your last 'night' picture?

501whi.jpg

£2 each yehh?

I need sidelights as one has blown, but I want to upgrade my headlights too. wrong place to ask I know (mk4's) but I think I need H7 main, H7 dipped and 501 side lights.

Can you get LED's for the dipped beams? (or am I being silly?)

Alpha

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
AlphaMale said:
I think I need H7 main, H7 dipped and 501 side lights.
I think you need H7 and H3 if my memory is correct. The main beams (H3) are slightly awkward to replace because you can't see what you're doing - an inspection mirror helps a lot though.

You're correct that the sidelights are 501. All the white LEDs are a much colder white than the headlights. I have them on mine, and the colour match is quite poor - if that worries you then I wouldn't go for LED sidelights to be honest. If you're prepared to pay a few quid more then there are other white LEDs on ultraleds that are probably brighter - I think I went for the six-LED bulb. They don't seem to give any odd behaviour, and the same seems to be true for the tailgate tail lights - you can replace those (501) but you really need a wide-angle bulb with LEDs pointing sideways to illuminate the reflector.

AlphaMale said:
Can you get LED's for the dipped beams? (or am I being silly?)
No, and yes. :D

It would be nice though, wouldn't it? But I don't think LEDs are powerful enough so I don't think we'll ever see LEDs used for headlights. I guess it's also not possible to focus the light.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.