Length of commute - engine issues?

Chlub Hibernian

Mar 7, 2017
I've had my Cupra Lux around a couple of months having traded in my wonderful 184 FR tdi.

My previous daily commute with the tdi was 60 odd miles. When that dropped to around 20 odd miles I made the decision to get the Cupra knowing it would get a long run on s Saturday going to the football.

I've changed location for work again with my new base only 1 mile from home. Will the regular short journey negatively impact the engine in any way?

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Yes it will, you and the car would both benefit from you walking that mile.

The oil won't even be warm before you get there, so maximum engine wear and your battery won't recover the the starting charge before you switch off.

If it was three miles I'd recommend a bike!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I have a 2 mile journey to work. I get things like condensation in the oil and the battery going flat. But... On average I do 40+ miles at the weekend. It just needs a long trip every week or two and it'll sort itself out.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Commute - 1 mile :confused:

In all fairness, like above, I’d walk/bike/hike!

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
I had a diesel that didn't like my short commute. Was 3 miles. Didnt warm up fully, battery needed periodic manual charging and eventually it died despite being taken good care of otherwise.

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
As most others I wouldn't even consider driving 1mile.
That will take you 10mins to walk.

I work 6 miles away from home and cycle 90% of the time and most days I triple the distance to make it a decent length ride

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
It wouldn't as bad on a curpa compared to the diesel, but still 1 mile isnt enough.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
As most others I wouldn't even consider driving 1mile.
That will take you 10mins to walk.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

In the OP’s position, provided they don’t have any physical impairments that would mean walking isn’t an option, then walking or cycling would be the options for me for a 1 mile commute.

I pretty much never use my car for journeys of up to 3-ish miles. Not using my car for those short journeys is better for my car’s health, better for the planet and to walk up to 3 miles rather than drive it is better for me too.

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Wow a 1 mile commute, sounds like heaven. I have the option of working in multiple different offices but the closest 3 are 40 miles away in every direction.

Reactions: Sword

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Even a lazy sod like me would walk or E bike the mile if the weather's OK. But if you must drive, let the engine warm up for a minute or two before setting off. It'll reduce cold start wear, and the Cupra warms up really quickly anyway.
A good run once a week will burn off any condensate in the workings.

Chlub Hibernian

Mar 7, 2017
Sadly, due to my role at work, I need the car there even though it rarely turns a wheel.

Other than letting it run a little before setting off or going a longer way to my school, is there anything else I can do?

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Sadly, due to my role at work, I need the car there even though it rarely turns a wheel.

Other than letting it run a little before setting off or going a longer way to my school, is there anything else I can do?
An engine heater like they use on diesels in very cold climates. It would be a bit extreme though.
A short warm up is the simplest solution.

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
Given that giving up the Cupra just wouldn't bear thinking about
I think you only have 2 options.
Change your job or move house.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
In response to your original question, the engine does need a decent run out occasionally to maintain it's health. If you can, take it for a bit of a run out at the weekend or whenever you can. Go to a nice country pub or pop down to the next town along for your shopping. Just something to get it hot.

As already stated, a 1 mile commute isn't going to even get it up to working temperature, so things like battery charge and oil condensation won't be helped by that. Letting it warm up before isn't going to do a grave amount for these either, unless you're leaving it to do so for 20 minutes which would be silly, a waste of fuel and an increase in risk of it being nicked while doing so :think:

Reactions: Legojon

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
Aha! 170 miles is great - at least for the battery and to some extent the oil.

The 1 mile isn't, for the reasons posted - well, ignore the battery issues as the 170 should sort it.

I can't see serious engine problems with that mix. Just change the oil early if you're worried.

In the 1 mile, avoid hard acceleration (mind, hardly time for any) as obviously the oil will be cold.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
In response to your original question, the engine does need a decent run out occasionally to maintain it's health. If you can, take it for a bit of a run out at the weekend or whenever you can. Go to a nice country pub or pop down to the next town along for your shopping. Just something to get it hot.

As already stated, a 1 mile commute isn't going to even get it up to working temperature, so things like battery charge and oil condensation won't be helped by that. Letting it warm up before isn't going to do a grave amount for these either, unless you're leaving it to do so for 20 minutes which would be silly, a waste of fuel and an increase in risk of it being nicked while doing so :think:
Mine is nearly up to normal temp in two minutes. Fuel use is minimal. I wouldn't leave it running out in the open though.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Mine is nearly up to normal temp in two minutes. Fuel use is minimal. I wouldn't leave it running out in the open though.

I'm referring more to oil temp rather than coolant, coolant does get up fast on these newer gen engines, I don't think oil is as fast though, at least it isn't on my 1.4.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.