Dec 16, 2019
Hi Guys,

I am currently ordering bits to service my Leon 5f 1.6tdi, but I stumbled on something here with the Fuel Filters... It seems they come in 2 different sizes? The outer diameters seem to be quite different, one being 77mm and the other 93mm and my question is, can I check which filter I need without getting to the existing filter to measure it? I'd rather have all the correct parts ordered and delivered before I start doing the work on the car.

On a side note, any tool kit recommendations? I am on the lookout for some decent tools for home 'mechanics' :)

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Buy the biggest Halfords socket set you can afford. They sell them on offer every now and then or they are sometimes sold on eBay at good prices. A proper socket set, not the kits with other tools in, and don't get one with the swivel head spanners. they are crap!

Invest in a big F-off jack! Not a cheapo trolley jack, a big three-ton job. Low entry, high lift. These two things are the best investments you can make.

I got my filter from TPS so they take the reg number and you get the right thing. A lot of suppliers do the same. Failing that, just open the can. It's just a few screws.

Dec 16, 2019
Buy the biggest Halfords socket set you can afford. They sell them on offer every now and then or they are sometimes sold on eBay at good prices. A proper socket set, not the kits with other tools in, and don't get one with the swivel head spanners. they are crap!

Invest in a big F-off jack! Not a cheapo trolley jack, a big three-ton job. Low entry, high lift. These two things are the best investments you can make.

I got my filter from TPS so they take the reg number and you get the right thing. A lot of suppliers do the same. Failing that, just open the can. It's just a few screws.

Thanks for your input bud. I have been looking on the halfords website for a while now, so most probably will be taking the plunge soon with a set I have seen :D I have a decent jack, a low profile one at that as all my other cars had a really low ground clearance, had it for years and still going strong ;D

I will check out TPS website as well as I've never actually heard of them haha :D

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
TPS are trade only but they used to sell to anyone who walked in the door. I have heard that they've put a stop to that but I don't know as I've not bought anything from them recently.

The Halfords Pro stuff has a lifetime warrantee and it's very good quality. Mate of mine broke a ratchet and took it back to them, it was years old at the time. Guy asked if he had the receipt and he said 'No but what difference does it make? It's got Halfords written o it and it has a lifetime guarantee so what difference does it make how old it is?'. Guy agreed and gave him a brand new ratchet. I broke something as well, can't remember what it was, and they just gave me a new one. Can't beat it.

Reactions: Mateusz.3D