Leon - aircon compressor not turning on

dennispedersen

Hello,
In my new Seat Leon from 2001 the aircon isnt working.
Its it the manuel aircon in my car.

When i turn the heater to cold , turn up the speed of the fan and press the aircon button - nothing happens.
I had an idea it just needed some R134A so i went to the local aircon shop to get i filled.
They filled the system but i still wont turn on. They said there was some kind of an electric problem but they didnt have the time to fix it right now.

Anyone have an idea what it could be?
It looks the gear to the aircon compressor dont engage at all and i cant hear any change in the enginge when i turn on the AC.

I tjekked all the fuses in the car and the fuses above the battery - they where all good.

Regards,
Dennis

dennispedersen

Is there any way to figure out if it has shut down do to high/low pressure?
I am not absolutely sure but i thing the compressor was starting before i got i filled but it wasnt cooling.

didgy2

newbe
Feb 19, 2004
glos
Visit site
i've got an ibiza, but mines stoped working twice.
first time just a fuse (also runs radiator fans)

second was when pressing the air con button the "air con" on the screen would not stay on. This turned out to be the compressor failed.

All the dash and i think part of the engine had to be stripped down to get at it.
was at dealers for 6 days and was told around £2000 including the labour and parts. I was under warranty luckily :thumbup:

hope its the fuse :whistle:

dennispedersen

dennispedersen said:
Hello,
In my new Seat Leon from 2001 the aircon isnt working.
Its it the manuel aircon in my car.

Now i found the error.
This morning i startet with ripping to car apart to find the error.
I checked the voltage on the compressor and it showed 9V with and without the aircon button pressed...hmm..Then i messured the fuses again and none of them where blown.

I dismountet the control box for the aircon and i discovered that one the supply wires was not properly mountet ind the connecter and one of the small wires was burning throug so there was no connection!.

After putting in a little piece of wire and mounting the supply wire the aircon was working :)

I took a few pics of the mysterie

www.daydreamer.dk/diverse/aircon1.jpg
www.daydreamer.dk/diverse/aircon2.jpg
www.daydreamer.dk/diverse/aircon3.jpg

Regards,
Dennis

dennispedersen

It is located under the batteri.
It is about the same size as an old cell phone.
You can se it from under the car - but there isnt much space so the quickest is the remove the batteri to get more space

alexst

Old Newbie!
Jul 26, 2004
Cheshire
I have the same problem with mine, the compressor clutch on mine I think as it wont turn when pushed by hand either so may have siezed, bit of good info here though. Just got to sort the right receiver dryer part to replace with the compressor in case there is any metal particles in the system from when the old compressor failed.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.