Leon And Altea Fr Take A Step Closer To The Track With Dsg

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
SEAT UK Press Release

main.php

• Leon and Altea T FSI FR models now offered with DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox)

• Revolutionary automated manual transmission delivers performance and economy

• Features steering wheel-mounted paddle shift controls, just like the 2007 SEAT Cupra Championship Leon race car

Not content with winning the Dunlop MSA BTCC Manufacturers’ Championship this year, SEAT is proving its sporty credentials yet again, with the availability of the advanced DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) on petrol FR versions of both the Leon and Altea.

DSG, already offered with 2.0-litre TDI 140 PS Stylance versions of both the Leon and Altea, delivers performance-oriented split-second ratio changes, as well as the convenience of two pedals for city driving. However, FR models also benefit from steering wheel-mounted paddle shift controls, for even more of a ‘Formula Racing’ feel.

DSG features two wet plate-type clutches, one engaging the odd-numbered ratios, the other dealing with the evens. This means that when, for example, the car is in second gear, third has already been engaged and is ready to be activated in a fraction of a second. The results are ultra quick changes, with no loss in performance or economy compared with the manual versions – in fact, the 0 to 62 mph times for both models are actually slightly faster with DSG (see table below).

Complementing the six-speed manual models, DSG versions of both the Leon and Altea T FSI FR are available now through the SEAT UK Dealer network, at £17,895 and £18,195 (RRP on the road) respectively. These prices represent impressive value, with a plethora of equipment fitted as standard. Highlights include ESP (Electronic Stability Programme), 17” alloy wheels, Dual Zone climate control, four electric windows, six airbags, and an eight-speaker CD player with MP3 compatibility and AUX-IN socket for iPod link-up.

Leon and Altea T FSI FR DSG prices
(manual price in brackets)

Leon T FSI FR DSG - £17,895 (£16,995)

Altea T FSI FR DSG - £18,195 (£17,295)

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
No plan's to introduce it in the high powered diesels, torque rating issues with the DSG, apparently. Not saying it won't appear at a later date though, but no mention of it either way in the press releases.

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Before deciding on getting the FRTDI 170 i tried out the 170 bhp A3 Sportback with S Tronic and have to say its fantastic. 0-60= 7.9 secs. Really felt good, however true to Audi form the standard spec you get is laughable.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Could be transverse vs longtitudal thats the issue. May just be an urban myth, and VAG just don't want to many cars stealing the VW/Audi thunder, who knows. :p

fester_99

The Golf is available with the 170td engine and DSG (check http://www.vw.co.uk/new_cars/golf/engines - its 9th in the drop down), I'm pretty sure the A3's Stronic box is just Audi speak for DSG too (so the A3 170Td engine is available with the DSG box too).

Surely both of these car have the same engine layout as the Leon?

The FR petrol is a nice car and I am glad they are finally offering it with DSG but I couldn't afford to run one at todays stupid petrol prices so roll on the FR TD DSG!

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Same sort of thing, although the Audi system does have big advantages over all the overs due to its predictive gearing system or something like that. It also has a ''manual'' gearstick layout to push up & down for gear selection aswell as an fully automatic mode to aswell as the paddle shift option. There was hardly any delay on the paddle from choice. Shame they look boring and are tight with their equipment!

fester_99

I think the 3 door A3 looks quite nice my self, especially in s line trim.

They are very tight on equipment though for sure!

They are asking silly money for them too, not far off 24k for the 170td with dsg, thats a hell of a lot of money for a 3 door hatch back.

Norm

S-tronic is just audi speak for DSG, although audi do have a 7 speed version of it on the way that wud be a sweet box. anyone know if you can retro fit wheel with the paddle shift to 2.0tdi dsg?? that wud make the car complete!!:think:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.