Leon battery woes

neiloid

Aug 11, 2008
Clanfield, Hants
Hi

So after my sporadic alarm problems I now have a flat battery. Hopefully it need nothing more than a charge and potentially replacing but the book says take it to a dealer because of special software or the like?

Do I really have to take it to a dealer and if not what should I be aware of when removing and replacing it?

Thanks in advance

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
The only recommendations in ElsaWin for refitting are to ensure the ignition and all switches are off, connect the + lead before the - lead and to activate the auto window opening/closing afterwards. After the battery is reconnected, several warning lights will stay on once the engine is started (ESP, steering and tyres I think), these will reset once the car is driven 100 yards.

neiloid

Aug 11, 2008
Clanfield, Hants
Hi Tim

Thanks for the reply. What is ElsaWin?

I'm assuming it is the battery as the starter motor coughs and then i get a rapid ticking. But I've just read Kaz Cruickshanks post about her starter motor and I'm a bit worried.

I reckon taking the battery out and and checking the charge is a good place to start.

Thanks again.

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
ElsaWin is the VAG Workshop Manual. Your problem could be either the battery or starter. If you can get a jump start, try that and see if it's okay, if so, it'll be the battery. If the battery is low, the dashboard lights should go out when you try and start it. If it's the starter, check the electrical connections to it, make sure they are clean and tight. Sometimes the starter can jam with age and a tap with the handle of a hammer or similar can free it.

neiloid

Aug 11, 2008
Clanfield, Hants
Excellent, thank you.

I've just tried again and there is nothing - no dash lights, the only light on is the stereo above the select nob, to the right of the multi function screen.

So I've removed the battery to charge and will charge it at 6 volts overnight and go from there.

neiloid

Aug 11, 2008
Clanfield, Hants
With the battery 6 years old and the car having covered 120K would I be better off replacing the battery with a new one?

Suggestions of makes & suppliers appreciated.

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
There's a good chance it is the battery that's faulty, the cold weather shows up any loss of power very quickly and 6 years is a decent life for one.

There are plenty of websites that will tell you which one you need (size, amp/hour, CCA), the choice of make is yours, most have a 3 or 4 year guarantee. Europarts are decent prices, TPS will supply OEM batteries and numerous websites will supply most makes.

neiloid

Aug 11, 2008
Clanfield, Hants
So, I charged the battery over night on a 6 volt trickle charge and when I plugged it back in I got lights on the dash but not enough juice from the battery to turn the starter motor.

So I guess it's new battery time.

Thanks for all the input.

neiloid

Aug 11, 2008
Clanfield, Hants
Got a new Bosch battery this afternoon and all is good. It's got a 4 year warranty so that should see the car out. Now I just need to sort the sporadic alarm and swallow £200/side for the door sensors :blink:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise