Leon cupra 1.8 wont start!!! Please help!!!!!

Sar85

Jan 22, 2016
Hi all. This is my first post so hope im posting this in the right place. I've had a problem with my seat leon cupra 1.8 20v, 53 plate, for a while now. It's been fine when I regularly drive it but I haven't used it as much lately due to being off work. Drove back and to from school yesterday then it was sat on the drive from about 3.30 until this morning. I went to start it up and it was completely dead. No lights on and no noise at all when turning the key. This is the worst it's been. Previously if I've left it a while the lights on the dash have all come on then when I turn the key it would go to start then won't start then the alarm would go off for a while. It has started again straight away after a jump start but I'm having to do this almost every day. Battery was replaced not long ago. It gets serviced regularly had the last one October 2015. New ngk spark plugs, all filters and oil change etc. Doesn't lose power when driving once started. Had a diagnostics test on it and nothing came up. The guy took all the fuses out and nothing.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated �� I'm sick of getting jump starts all the time.

MrS1lly

May 11, 2015
Guildford
Sounds like a battery issue, but if you have had it replaced recently it could be the alternator not working correctly meaning it isn't charging your battery. I would get that checked out. I'm also new here so could be completely wrong!

Sar85

Jan 22, 2016
Thanks for the reply. My first thought was the alternator when it first happened but it runs perfect once I've had a jump start and given it a good drive. I had the altinator tested and the guy said it's fine. Did see another similar post which said it could be the earth going to the battery. May get that checked out.

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi sar. Check the battery terminals for corrosion, chack they are done up tightly and like you said check the battery earth to body connection. It's underneath the battery tray itself.

earth%20pointsbattery%20tray_zpsnaxz7kvf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
Check the alternator is charging correctly.

Get hold of (if you haven't got one) a volt meter and check the battery voltage, when the engine is off and then when the engine is running.

when off it should read around 12v and when running around 14.4v.

If you can get it to a garage they should check this for you.

If the running voltage is low then that points to the Alternator being busted.

That would be my first point to check..

Then, check the connections and earths around and underneath the battery.