Leon Cupra R Gearbox

aatoms

Hi!

I couldn`t find any information on internet, so I`m asking here.
I`m driving Seat Leon Cupra R, and I`m wondering - do this car have simple road car gearbox, or some kind of semisport or sport gearbox?

I`m asking this because of some strange noise coming from gearbox, while braking with any of gears.
This noise isn`t normal for standart gearbox, but it can be normal even for semisport.
So is there any comments?

Thanks!

aatoms

I`m not perfect in English, so can you explain some different way, what you mean by - Sounds odd?

Thanks!

aatoms

The oil is the best one - few minutes and it`s changed. I hope, it will be the reason.
:think:

aatoms

My LCR gets all the best! So the oil also will be the best available! ;)
I`ll try to change it in this weekend, and then we`ll see what will be the result!

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
I've had my LCR from new and as far as I remember it has always had a coast down/deceleration noise/whine.

That was one of the things I wanted to ask you about :) I get that too, does yours go away if you put it in neutral and coast along?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
That was one of the things I wanted to ask you about :) I get that too, does yours go away if you put it in neutral and coast along?
Yup.
TBH I believe its the differential.
This I will be able to prove/disprove as I've got a GB with a LSD to fit to my car soon

aatoms

I would like to have an LSD also.
What was the price of it or is it handmade?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I would like to have an LSD also.
What was the price of it or is it handmade?

Expensive.

£700 for LSD

£150 for fitting kit

£250 for fitting LSD to GB if no issues with GB

£150 to remove GB

£200 to fit GB to car.

I'll be doing the fitting to car myself and I have a spare GB so no car down time

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Yup.
TBH I believe its the differential.
This I will be able to prove/disprove as I've got a GB with a LSD to fit to my car soon

Nice :)

I was thinking it was the gearbox itself since it doesn't happen in neutral, and on my car at least it's loudest in first, quieter in second and I can't really hear it at all in third. Doesn't matter if I have the clutch in or out either.

I'm going to get the gearbox oil changed anyway when I get round to having THS dogbone mounts and bushes fitted, will see what happens.

Beefy-Toledo

Jan 31, 2009
Old thread I know but hopefully someone can shed some light. My LCR 225 04 plate has only recently started to make a very slight whirring on overrun braking with 3rd gear. It is very slight and doesn't occur in any other gears whatsoever.

I was just wondering if anyone changed the gearbox oil to a newer possibly thicker oil and maybe some sort of gearbox treatment and did it cure the problem or quieten it down considerably? I'm unsure when the gearbox oil was last changed so could be worth a try?

Thanks ;-)

Beefy-Toledo

Jan 31, 2009
Have you any experience with the problem? I've heard a lot of people drive them like this with no problems. I suppose changing the oil would do no harm anyway.

Dec 25, 2009
Yes i have , having box rebuilt... If you continue to drive then thats fair play alot of people conctinue to drive, what will happen is the casing/bearing etc internally will wear more possibly causing casing damage so could cost alot more when rebuild time comes. Just my 2p worth but all depends on the owner of the car at the end.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.