Leon Cupra R Power Upgrade

adamdenne1985

Hi People,

I have just got a Leon Cupra R 225, revo chip to 265 bhp plus an induction kit. I am wanting to up the power a bit more and have been given the following suggestions.

1. A Front Mounted Intercooler / with remap
&/or 2. A Small NOS kits (25hp)

What I would like to know is what you people think is the best idea for pushin a bit more power without having to change internals and without spending loads and loads of money!!!

Any suggestions would be helpful, Ta

Ads

Swordjo

The Badger
Mar 17, 2006
Coatbridge (near Glasgow)
The intercooler wouldn't give you any more bhp as such, it would just help your current setup be more efficient ie hold better boost etc.

Next step would be "stage 2" , just do a search on here for this and it will give you all the info you need in full detail.

Standard internals should be good for just over 330-340bhp btw.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
alright bud, yeh if you dont wanna spend too much cash, the next route for you will be stage 2 revo. full exhaust system (£500- £1000), FMIC (£700) and revo (£400 ish)....

or go the hybrid route which i think is around £1500 + but you will need the above mods to get the full benefit...then your talking big turbo which really is money, cos you will have to upgrade brakes, internals etc...

there are other cheap subtle little mods you can do inbetween these changes which will improve throttle and the smoothness of the power delivery....e.g

debaffle charge pipe (removes restrictive baffles allowing a freer turbo
bigger cold air feed
N249 bypass

other than that you have the nos OPTION...hope that is helpfull

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
spend your cash on handling to get the best from your bhp. bhp is jsut a figure, its all about power delivery and getting it on the road

i would suggest
1. suspension, coilovers or full shock and spring kit
2. rear arb 25mm+
3. ina engine mounts incl dogbone
4. front top and lower strut braces...audi s3 lcr has lower on already

and if money no object an limited slip diff, peloquin or quaife.

invest in good tyres and uprate all your oem bushes and mounts to get a planted ride to handle the ponies you already have.

youll be well happy with the results

p.s have you got a forge dv?

if not get a 007p, helps with the higher boost youll be runnign.

i would change the stock downpipe and sports cat also mate, most restrictive part of youre exhaust system, allows free er spool up of your k04s

hope this helps pal..

Last edited:

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
Front mount intercooler as already mentioned wont give a big increase in power,you might see a bit of an increase but a front mount helps alot with getting inlet temps down and reducing the effects of heat soak as you drive car hard and boost temperature rises,some people say the 2 standard intercoolers are more then capable, but on warm days i found they soon seemed to struggle to keep inlet temp low,then ecu would adjust and hold engine back to prevent damage,with a bigger front mount the power stays more consistant no matter what the weather was like.
Full exhaust with front mount intercooler and good air filter/inlet pipe and custom remap and you should get a reliable 270-280hp max with 300-340lbs torque.
280hp will be about the most you will see no matter what you do unless you start looking at replacing turbo or modifying the standard one.
Exhaust-£1000
Intercooler-£700
Air filter-£150
Inlet pipe-£100
Custom remap-£350-450

Dont forget though as someone elses has said dont overlook brakes,tyres and suspension,its good being able to go like stink in a straight line but not being able to handle the corners aint good,a set of anti roll bars makes the LCR such a better handling car in my opinion.It depends how far you want to go and how much £ you want to spend.:)

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
the suspension is the only weak link in the LCRs repitoire....and everyone has there ideas on what they wanna upgrade on there car. obviously funds or lack of them stop you buying everything you want at once...but its been said if you really want big power (im sure you know) there is a lot that goes along with that,thats why you obviously dont wanna go down that route, same as me...280 bhp is more than enough for me tbh.....

so to summarize..if you want a reliable 280 BHP you will need to spend £1800 + labour
for 300 to 330 probably worst side of £3000
for 340 upwards :help:

adamdenne1985

Thanks boys for the ideas. Sorry should have mentioned it does have uprated suspension, bushes, brakes and pads ALL round, also has Pirelli P10s all round. The exhaust at the back has also been done, Im am unsure to whether an aftermarket dump valve has been fitted, probably not as it is not that loud, i will take a look later on.

I guess I will start saving and will think about a FMIC, an ECU and a bigger turbo next year and possibly an exhaust.

Thanks for all your help and guidance, really helps as im new to this sort of world.

I had a R32 V-Spec skyline before and it was already tuned and the turbos kept blowing and doing 12mpg really killed me!!! but i did enjoy driting it a tad!dam front wheel drive! haha

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
so to summarize..if you want a reliable 280 BHP you will need to spend £1800 + labour
for 300 to 330 probably worst side of £3000
for 340 upwards :help:

so true,besides if you want to spend £3000 on getting 300odd bhp,you might as well have got another car in the first place.i would modify the car to the max it can handle without having to replace parts n spend too much £££ (which would be 280odd)...

im getting a decent bonus at the end of the month so looking forward to a few more thing struck off my wishlist :D
probably go for the exhaust first,and the strut braces/arbs.

i have a few quick questions. if you get arbs, would you still need strut braces?or will they not make much difference?

and after a remap,are silicon hoses required?

last but not least, is it cool to leave the FMIC out til after a stage 2 remap? (talking months to recoup money spent)

:help::help:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
if you have a re map i would think it has an aftermarket dump valve as i think you need that for any re map

not true mate. although aftermarket ones tend to be better you can remap a car with the oem dv. if its an old shabby 4 year old dv thats weak it may split at some point.

personally id wait till it failed if money was tight

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
so true,besides if you want to spend £3000 on getting 300odd bhp,you might as well have got another car in the first place.i would modify the car to the max it can handle without having to replace parts n spend too much £££ (which would be 280odd)...

im getting a decent bonus at the end of the month so looking forward to a few more thing struck off my wishlist :D
probably go for the exhaust first,and the strut braces/arbs.

i have a few quick questions. if you get arbs, would you still need strut braces?or will they not make much difference?

and after a remap,are silicon hoses required?

last but not least, is it cool to leave the FMIC out til after a stage 2 remap? (talking months to recoup money spent)

:help::help:

You will need FMIC to go to stage 2,and it is better to have it fitted first then get the remap to stage 2.
As for arb's these make a big difference to the handling,very noticable,i have upper strut brace and to be honest i havent noticed much difference with it,but this was the last thing i fitted,arb's and coilovers were done first,so probably dont notice much inprovement with strut brace on.

martyc

alright bud, yeh if you dont wanna spend too much cash, the next route for you will be stage 2 revo. full exhaust system (£500- £1000), FMIC (£700) and revo (£400 ish)....

or go the hybrid route which i think is around £1500 + but you will need the above mods to get the full benefit...then your talking big turbo which really is money, cos you will have to upgrade brakes, internals etc...

there are other cheap subtle little mods you can do inbetween these changes which will improve throttle and the smoothness of the power delivery....e.g

debaffle charge pipe (removes restrictive baffles allowing a freer turbo
bigger cold air feed
N249 bypass

other than that you have the nos OPTION...hope that is helpfull

Hi there a few of you guys were sayin that if you want to upgrade the turdbo then you would have to upgrade the internals, Could anyone give me a complete list of things that would need changed, I also have the leon cupra r Its had a revo stage 1 re map So i dont know what the bhp would be sitting at just now, But next in line is cat down pipe n turbo back exhaust with stage 2 re map.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Hi there a few of you guys were sayin that if you want to upgrade the turdbo then you would have to upgrade the internals, Could anyone give me a complete list of things that would need changed, I also have the leon cupra r Its had a revo stage 1 re map So i dont know what the bhp would be sitting at just now, But next in line is cat down pipe n turbo back exhaust with stage 2 re map.

holy old thread alert! :p

stage 2 would want fmic, 3" downpipe/cat, decent exhaust and free flow intake.
complemented by things like 3" TIP, WMI works well on k04 cars also... helping to keep egt's down.

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
Old thread but Did this guy ever go through with the mods? Also one major thing missing, Clutch! You can run past 290ish on torque! Then a new clutch set is another £1000+

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
holy old thread alert! :p

stage 2 would want fmic, 3" downpipe/cat, decent exhaust and free flow intake.
complemented by things like 3" TIP, WMI works well on k04 cars also... helping to keep egt's down.

Hi sorry to jump on the ancient thread lol but i have an 225 lcr. Full 3" non res hiflow sports cat cobra system, badger 5 tip, forge 008, oil catch can and am doing the sai n249 deletes. With a 4bar fpr and bigger injectors 530 or 660 what power would you guess id have with a stage 2?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.