LEON cupra TDi oil catch tank

n11tht

Mar 17, 2009
under the bonnet
I found one on ebay for around £30 but it doesnt mention fitment just says leon. Surely there wouldnt any difference between catch tanks depending on engine? Maybe im wrong if anyone could correct me.

benhampshire

Jun 29, 2008
Barnoldswick
thats what i thought , but would rather hear the experts confirm ,

mine was a generic one and i had to build the bracket to support it.

question you need to ask yourself is what more do you get for your money?

why does it only fit the pd engine... query where it mounts?

total installation cost for mine was about £45 including the tanks, pipes, brackets... and about 45mins labour time

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
Ive got a catch tank fitted and a rammed a load of stainless steel scouring pads inside to act as a baffle. Seems to work ok, but a small amount of oil still gets into the intake. The best thing to do is get a Provent (MANN+HUMMEL) catch tank. Which is the proper kit for the job!
PIC_0393.jpg

Last edited:

AwesomeAl

Sales @ Awesome
Sep 17, 2008
NorthWest
www.awesome-gti.co.uk
Fitted my catch tank on the bora, ran with it on for a week. Noticed that the car accellerated a little more aggressively, however in second gear under load it was VERY VERY smokey.

Removed the catch tank and re-fitted the Original 'J-Pipe' and the smoke has gone, and the car is back to pulling as per its usual Smooth, Strong self!!

Oh well... 1x Catch can going on eBay!

n11tht

Mar 17, 2009
under the bonnet
Fitted my catch tank on the bora, ran with it on for a week. Noticed that the car accellerated a little more aggressively, however in second gear under load it was VERY VERY smokey.

Removed the catch tank and re-fitted the Original 'J-Pipe' and the smoke has gone, and the car is back to pulling as per its usual Smooth, Strong self!!

awesome al PM me if your going to sell i maybe interested

Thanks Nath

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com

I don't think the inlet / outlets are big enough nor is there enough volume in the small tanks - that and no way of releasing pressure at higher rpm .... mine came off due to excessive smoking and it was oil not soot - pretty sure it was the catchtank that caused it.

View now is it's either an open breather .... or a proper Mann Hummell Provent but that can wait .... easier to just blank off the EGR and reset the CEL on the odd occasion it appears.

AwesomeAl

Sales @ Awesome
Sep 17, 2008
NorthWest
www.awesome-gti.co.uk
awesome al PM me if your going to sell i maybe interested

Thanks Nath

I'm not going to sell it just yet matey, But I'll let you know if I decide to.

I don't think the inlet / outlets are big enough nor is there enough volume in the small tanks - that and no way of releasing pressure at higher rpm .... mine came off due to excessive smoking and it was oil not soot - pretty sure it was the catchtank that caused it.

View now is it's either an open breather .... or a proper Mann Hummell Provent but that can wait .... easier to just blank off the EGR and reset the CEL on the odd occasion it appears.

Yeah that could be it as the tank is using 10mm inlet / outlet. It is quite a large tank. To be honest, My EGR is still fitted, but is completely mapped out of the system (thus never requests it to open!) My main reason for fitting a catch tank was to stop oil getting into my fresh clean Intercooler.

benhampshire

Jun 29, 2008
Barnoldswick
I still haven't seen the smoke issue since fitting mine but it is quite a large catch tank...

My car has a custom code stage1 remap and i have put a blanking palte with 5mm hole in between the egr - works fine.

Its also collecting some nice black oily deposits now which has got to be better than it going back into the intake :shrug:

Mar 8, 2007
took mine off just got the 19mm heater hose to the back of the bottom-rear of engine bay.

I am convined that these "generic" catch cans are too small and the inlets are too small and will cause harm in the long term.

Until they release one with a genuine 18mm+ inlet outlet I'm staying away

benhampshire

Jun 29, 2008
Barnoldswick
Just thought i'd update... still running fine no smoke, smooth power and catching nice oily deposits. So i'm not sure what the problems are people have had. :-/

spanishescapes

Hiya lads. I'm hoping someone can help me. I've had problems with my 04 plate leon cupra tdi since i bought it. Engine management light always coming on and car going into limp mode. Recently, it stopped coming on and began to drive like a dream. A few days later, i checked the oil level and found it to be low, I put just a pint of oil in because i wondered if the low oil had anything to do with the car driving ok again. As soon as i had put the oil in it started to do the same:- ie management light on and limp mode. Having had it on a ramp, I noticed the sump plug had been bodged and gunked up with silicone. Dont know if this is anything to do with it but i thought id mention it. Any help will be massively appreciated as i love the car but its niggling the hell out of me. ps. car has been remapped to around 190 bhp

So I'm looking at doing this so bringing this old thread back up. Was the problem with every lb smoking because you was using small inlets and outlets? As they are now 19mm universal catch tanks on eBay, also is it better to run it back into the tip or vent it off the catch tank? Also is there only one breather pipe on the pd150 not to like on the lc/LCR? Thanks guys

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
There's one breather, it's on the top of the engine in to the TIP. If it's doing it's job properly then back in to the TIP will be best, otherwise forget the catch can and do the elephant hose mod, same thing only simpler.

Mar 16, 2013
Shrewsbury
There's one breather, it's on the top of the engine in to the TIP. If it's doing it's job properly then back in to the TIP will be best, otherwise forget the catch can and do the elephant hose mod, same thing only simpler.

is that just the TIP blanked and then the engine outlet hose going to atmosphere?

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Yeah that's the one, just put a filter on the end of the hose to atmosphere to save anything getting back in to the engine. If you're bothered about the oil dripping on to the road then a proper catch can like the ProVent is your best bet with it feeding back to the TIP.

So I've bought my catch can. Do I want to put steel wool/ scotch pad in the bottom of the can? So it drips through and doesn't suck straight back in? My only concern is if it sucks it into the engine then it's bye bye engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.