Leon flip Key guide

moshii

This is weird... I went back out to the car just there and the new key wouldn't start the engine anymore, so I thought that I'd try it one last time at re-programming it. When I press the unlock button the second time, the car alarm sounds. It is then able to lock and unlock the car, but still unable to start the engine...

ben652

Dec 9, 2007
hartlepool
i did what the guide said and mine worked perfect and i bought a 3 button flip key remote and now i can open just the boot and when i shut the boot only it auto locks the full car well worth the money cheers for the help with the guide

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
This is weird... I went back out to the car just there and the new key wouldn't start the engine anymore, so I thought that I'd try it one last time at re-programming it. When I press the unlock button the second time, the car alarm sounds. It is then able to lock and unlock the car, but still unable to start the engine...

I think some people are getting a little confused here. You can't just buy a new key and expect it to start your car after getting the blade cut. If you are not using the transponder from an old key that is already matched to your immobiliser, you will need your Security Key Code (SKC) in order to program your immobiliser to accept the new key using VAG-COM. If you don't have the SKC for your car, you will either need to find somebody with VAG-Tacho to get it from the car for you, or you will need to pay a SEAT dealer to synchronise the new key for you.

You can only manually synchronise the remote locking part of the key to suit your car. You cannot get your immobiliser to accept a new key with a new transponder without knowing your SKC and getting VAG-COM to do it. The reason you were able to start your engine before is that you had used the old key in the ignition immediately before using the new one, thats why the immobiliser light was flashing. This works but it only works immediately after using a matched key.

When I got the car I only had one key, so I bought a second flip key from eBay, then I bought a replacement blade which I got cut the other day.

Will the second key need a new transponder? I was under the impression that the one that is already in it would be able to be re-programmed to my car?

Its not a matter of re-programming the transponder in the key, you can't do that. A transponder of the type used in Leons has no capacity to be programmed, it transmits a set code when interrogated by your immobiliser. What you actually do is program your immobiliser to accept that code.

Cars built after 2002 were not supplied with an SKC. If this is the case, your only option is VAG-Tacho or a SEAT dealer.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
Ross, is Vag Tacho software that I can download and use with my ebay VagCom lead?

Edit: Nevermind, just found a post elsewhere that says it uses a different interface.

Last edited:

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Ross, is Vag Tacho software that I can download and use with my ebay VagCom lead?

Edit: Nevermind, just found a post elsewhere that says it uses a different interface.

Other post is right mate, you need a different interface. Its a bit hit and miss anyway, some cars give up their immobiliser PIN dead easy and others just won't let the software read it.

Here's one for sale on ebay, the buy it nows from China are counterfeit copies.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vag-tacho-usb...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:15|39:1|240:1318

You need to read the ECU or Immobiliser EEPROM on Leons, they don't respond to the "Read Immo PIN" function.

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
any ideas what i should do as i only have one key

simple...

purchase a flip key with a blank blade, buy a couple of transponders from website listed on this thread..

then all you need is your key code... if you dont have this seat might be able to extract it. i know there are other threads talking about this latter problem if you dont have the code so just do a quick search...

i've just called a seat dealer and they want £24+vat to reprogram a transponder.... BARGIN!!

although when i asked her, its to program the chip not the fob she said "i dont really know, i asked how much it would cost to program the transponder"... fingers crossed it is £24+vat.

all i need to do is get mine cut now :D

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
I've bought a VW 2 button flip key that I'll be syncronising with my immobiliser using vag-tacho when I get home in a couple of weeks. I'm going to try it with it's old transponder first as immo 2 on the Leon shouldn't know the difference between an old transponder and a new one. I'll post my results when done.

If anybody in the area needs keys coded or their skc extracted from the leon immobiliser, give me a shout and I'll be happy to do it for you.

CapnAHAB

Can someone clarify this?

If the immobiliser needs to be coded to the transponder, then how do dealers supply new keys for cars? If each transponder is differrent then the immobiliser will need to be re-synched each time a nwe key is purchased, rendering all the old original keys useless?

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
It doesn't render all the old keys useless. You add a new key to the list of accepted keys in the immobiliser's memory. It can "remember" up to 6 keys.

CapnAHAB

Ah right so it can store an array of numbers. Cracking cheers for clearing that up.

I'll be purchasing a key and giving this a go (and that lead posted above if anyone wants to get into a bidding war :)

Good post cheers, and if I win the lead anyone in South Wales needs to borrow it then let me know.

Ta!

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
Ah right so it can store an array of numbers. Cracking cheers for clearing that up.

I'll be purchasing a key and giving this a go (and that lead posted above if anyone wants to get into a bidding war :)

Good post cheers, and if I win the lead anyone in South Wales needs to borrow it then let me know.

Ta!

Are you getting Vag Tacho? If so, I'd be interested in getting my SKC.

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
I'd be interested in getting my SKC.

Thompson and Thompson want £64.67 for Key £91.45 for remote - plus £25 to phase in to immobiliser including VAT

White Dove want Spare Key £64.67 or Blade £64.67 Remote £40.50 - plus £45 to phase in to immobiliser including VAT

Last edited:

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
I'd be interested in getting my SKC.

Thompson and Thompson want £64.67 for Key £91.45 for remote - plus £25 to phase in to immobiliser including VAT

White Dove want Spare Key £64.67 or Blade £64.67 Remote £40.50 - plus £45 to phase in to immobiliser including VAT

Licence to print money :banned:

curryholic

Mar 5, 2009
In zomerzet
Interesting thread... really interested in doing this as I like the flip key rather than the standard straight 2 button key.

Having a look on fleebay there are places that just cut the blade and send it through for£7!!! Cheaper than Timpsons at £10, but you need to send them your key code and then swap the blades/transponder across as above!

What do people think about this?

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
Interesting thread... really interested in doing this as I like the flip key rather than the standard straight 2 button key.

Having a look on fleebay there are places that just cut the blade and send it through for£7!!! Cheaper than Timpsons at £10, but you need to send them your key code and then swap the blades/transponder across as above!

What do people think about this?

I'd rather pay the extra couple of quid, and know that I haven't given someone my key pattern, and address.

Probably over paranoid, but better safe than sorry .. :whistle:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise