Leon fr 170 problem

Clowry445

Apr 4, 2017
Northern Ireland
Hey everyone, new to the forum! Have always wanted a fr leon and finally I got one! I'm from Northern Ireland and flew over to Glasgow to buy one and drove it home! It's a 2010 fr with just 60,000 miles on the clock. Can't fault the car so far apart from one problem, on the dash on the display where the clock is the top left seems to sometimes flicker and go dim. Then come back on and be fine. Attached a photo but sort of hard to see. Would this just be a faulty cable or the bulb behind dash on its way out?

Unsure if I like the black on black have not decided yet!

Just realised it won't let me attach pictures, could someone tell me how?

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks
Hey everyone, new to the forum! Have always wanted a fr leon and finally I got one! I'm from Northern Ireland and flew over to Glasgow to buy one and drove it home! It's a 2010 fr with just 60,000 miles on the clock. Can't fault the car so far apart from one problem, on the dash on the display where the clock is the top left seems to sometimes flicker and go dim. Then come back on and be fine. Attached a photo but sort of hard to see. Would this just be a faulty cable or the bulb behind dash on its way out?

Unsure if I like the black on black have not decided yet!

Just realised it won't let me attach pictures, could someone tell me how?
Think you need 10 posts before you can post pictures , if your using your phone try the Tapatalk app will make it a lot easier

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Clowry445

Apr 4, 2017
Northern Ireland
Thanks just downloaded the app, if the bulb was completely out I would change it but I would assume I would have to take the whole dash out? Find it strange it sort of flickers for a few seconds then is OK. Just seems to come and go

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Clowry445

Apr 4, 2017
Northern Ireland
Hopefully these get attached!
90b11240e928329981a212ee28bb6167.jpg
8e17ca700c66cd7480d56308cf07f35a.jpg
31a28bf8680c0cbebdfd6c61da36c76a.jpg

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks
Thanks just downloaded the app, if the bulb was completely out I would change it but I would assume I would have to take the whole dash out? Find it strange it sort of flickers for a few seconds then is OK. Just seems to come and go

I'm shite with electrics so i wouldn't have a clue , I'd just hit it till it either started working again or stopped altogether lol

Clowry445

Apr 4, 2017
Northern Ireland
It does look a bit darker at the top left

Yeah it goes like that then a few mins later it goes full brightness. So no idea just wondered if anyone else had same problem! Not a big issue at end of day unless someday it just goes dark

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Yeah it goes like that then a few mins later it goes full brightness. So no idea just wondered if anyone else had same problem! Not a big issue at end of day unless someday it just goes dark

on some models there is a light sensor in the dash display itself. Iirc it is located where the FR logo is. It is a bit odd in the way it works, the brighter the ambient light the brighter the dash lights get. Try putting your hand over the FR logo and see what happens, or shine a torch on it.

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks
on some models there is a light sensor in the dash display itself. Iirc it is located where the FR logo is. It is a bit odd in the way it works, the brighter the ambient light the brighter the dash lights get. Try putting your hand over the FR logo and see what happens, or shine a torch on it.
NO WAY is this your first ever helpful post you've done old man

Clowry445

Apr 4, 2017
Northern Ireland
Thanks for the info, but surely If it was the sensor then the whole dash would get dimmer or brighter, it just seems to be the hour part of the clock no other area seems to be affected.

elnigel

Nov 25, 2002
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Visit site
My 2010 Leon has exactly the same issue. Happened about 2 years ago, after a couple of weeks doing it the bulb just stayed out. After looking into it i left it and have got used to it as it's not too obvious. The led is part of the screen assembly, just like a mobile phone so it would be a new screen or whole clocks unfortunately.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Clowry445

Apr 4, 2017
Northern Ireland
My 2010 Leon has exactly the same issue. Happened about 2 years ago, after a couple of weeks doing it the bulb just stayed out. After looking into it i left it and have got used to it as it's not too obvious. The led is part of the screen assembly, just like a mobile phone so it would be a new screen or whole clocks unfortunately.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk
Brilliant thanks for the info, would be more worried if the whole dash was doing it but as I say it's just the hour part of clock so not to worried if it goes out! Just wondered if it was a easy fix but obviously not Haha