Leon FR 2.0 TDi Mk2 caliper sliders

Sam_FR

Dec 15, 2018
Have been noticing an occasional build up of brake dust on the front passenger alloy, and yesterday my girlfriend rang me in panic as the wheel was very hot and and she could smell them burning after a short drive on the motorway. As we've only had the car a few months, this is the first time I've done any mechanical repairs to the car, so was wondering what tools are required to take the caliper slider pins out. Want to check and lubricate those before going down the caliper rebuild/replacement route.

Sam_FR

Dec 15, 2018
Have been noticing an occasional build up of brake dust on the front passenger alloy, and yesterday my girlfriend rang me in panic as the wheel was very hot and and she could smell them burning after a short drive on the motorway. As we've only had the car a few months, this is the first time I've done any mechanical repairs to the car, so was wondering what tools are required to take the caliper slider pins out. Want to check and lubricate those before going down the caliper rebuild/replacement route.

To answer my own question, just in case anybody else has this query, its a 7mm hex bit.

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
I thought they were a T45 star/spline socket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
No 7mm hex.

Another thing that can cause your breaks to stick mate is crud at the back of your caliper piston seals. Basically stop the piston returning properly .

Had to rebuild both fronts on mine before i sold it got away with cleaning the crud off the pistons but replaced the seal and dust seal. Was fine after that

Reactions: Brimfull

Sam_FR

Dec 15, 2018
I found a YouTube vid and the guy removed the caliper sliders with a hex key, they wouldn't budge using my normal Allan keys, so went out and bought 7mm hex bit. Pissed down all afternoon so have not tried it, but the Allan key seemed to fit well. They seem solid when trying to turn them.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I use the laser long 7mm hex socket. Doubt an allan would do much tbh. Take em off, clean em up and put some silicone lube on them and slide em back in.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Might just be a build up of crud between the brake pads and the carrier. Remove the pads and a good wire brush and clean up of where the pad sits will sort it. Don't breath in the dust though, wear a mask if you have one.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.