Leon FR PD170 TDi Injector problem

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
Wow sounds like a horrible garage mate. Ive just had mine done yesterday and I spoke to the actual service engineer before dropping it off. He was really nice and stated he would put any new ecu updates on there free of charge. Picked it up and he saw me and told me the car was still running on the original release from factory in 2007 and that there had been 12 updates since then so he update it to the latest one. Can anyone tell me what these update were meant to improve? Can does run really smooth now although not sure if that's the injectors being replaced or the ecu update.

If I were you go take it into another seat dealer where the service people are alittle nicer. The recall should cover 4 injectors and wiring loom. Just of of interest I got The receipt for the work apparently the retail cost to have the work done was £850 not including labour.

Thanks for the info folks. Satty i would ideally change dealers however i'm not sure thats possible now as Seat UK have already authorised this dealer to carry out the recall, they have the parts and all. His attitide was terrible, i have no faith at all in them and quite honestly would rather not have it done by them - This may sound harsh & i'm sure the mechanic/technicians themselves are more than capable but if their service manager/adviser doesn't have the common people skills to deal with questions, i take this as a poor representation of this particular Stealer.

As a common courtesy I would expect any dealer, Seat or otherwise, to offer updates, if any relevant/available, to enhance customer satisfaction and reputation.

If after the recall i suffer from increased DPF issues, is there then an ECU update that can help the DPF function better?

Thanks again folks, all is much appreciated.

DerbyForget

Apr 1, 2012
Burton on Trent, Staffs
You shouldn't have anymore dpf issues than may have/have not happened already. Some dealers arnt the best, a bit dissapointing really as they should have a common code of practice. dependant on the year of your car and where you bought it from etc, I would imagine your probably already running the latest software, there haven't been any updates for sometime and I would put money on there being no more to come for the Pd170, it's yesterday's news what with the new model coming up for release...

As you have said just place your trust in the technicians and hope that they are not as incompetent as the sales/ desk staff :)

Satty

If your unsure then if I was you I'd take it somewhere else, you don't owe the dealership anything. Just ring them say your not happy with there attitude and your taking the car somewhere else.. Any other dealer would be more than happy to carry out the recall. A quick call to seat customer care just to clarify if you can take it else where. I'm sure you can.

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
You can take it to any dealer for warranty and recall work. Also, email Seat customer services and let them know of your experiences with that dealership as they do follow up with customer complaints even if you then choose to go elsewhere for the work.

envy_vwm

Hi all,
I just got FR TDI, it has full service history at dealers. Car has 100 000km on clock which means there are still 50 000 warranty left, but they say there is no recall for injectors, but they are replacing them in case of failure one-by-one. It is not what I read here and on other forums.
However is there an official information on injector recall? Which countries that includes, what is a procedure etc. A bit disappointed with a stealer, but happy with the car :D

Any help will be appreciated! Thankts!

Alex

Short update [B)]

Got 4th injector failure just after Christmas, had to left a car with a dealer and went to Spain for a NY. Today got a call telling importer in Finland approved 4 injectors + wiring. :3rd:

Car to be ready on Monday as dealer has to order parts :)

p.s. they mentioned smth about ecu change too which was not approved in my case, they say ecu is changed under warranty if any problems occur after injectors are replaced. have you ever experienced that? :rolleyes:

Vasily87

Jan 23, 2011
Hi reading about these injector issues, when they get replaced are they better or revised ones that are put in? I.e. that's the issue put to bed. Cheers

DerbyForget

Apr 1, 2012
Burton on Trent, Staffs
Hi reading about these injector issues, when they get replaced are they better or revised ones that are put in? I.e. that's the issue put to bed. Cheers

I would imagine they are ones without the underlying issue that has been previously discovered. its not always that your injectors need changing. mine was checked and found to have no faulty injectors so mine wernt replaced. and yes once they are changed there shouldnt be any further issues

Scby555

Oct 29, 2004
there wouldn't be any point fitting the same injectors with known issues as you will just be back for more later.

All 4 of my injectors were replaced FOC, even though my car was 5 years old.

hunts

I had injectors replaced last week under recall and was extremely happy with the service from Wolverhampton seat... But...
On the way home from work Friday 4 days later (40/50 miles) flashing lights, engine management light , coil etc, lack of power but managed to get home,took it into dealers this morning who are going to run diagnostics and let me know what the problem is, £48 for diagnostics to start.

I could be wrong but this surely can't be coincidental with the injector change last week, I'm sure I read on here of someone with a similar problem but can't seem to find it now..

The car has always run fine all services up to date, any one any ideas on what this could be?

Just as worried as I was last week now :(

Hi I just had recall and major service now dpf / coil and engine management light all on .. Back to seat to check . Did yours get fixed ok ?

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Hi I just had recall and major service now dpf / coil and engine management light all on .. Back to seat to check . Did yours get fixed ok ?

Sounds like similar problem a lot of people have, including me (until I got rid of it) - the new injectors seem to be causing the exhaust gasses to be at a lower temp (more efficient?) which is all well and good for fuel consumption, but **** for burning off that excess soot. I was having to manually regen mine through VAGCOM at least once a fortnight once I'd had the injectors replaced. Garage just said "ye, at 100k+ mileage, we would expect it's time to change the DPF, they don't last forever!". Cue a quote for about 1200 quid.
I got rid of it (the car) for this very reason.

Last edited:

SPGUK

Well, the woes continue. I had my injectors and loom replaced about this time last year under the recall at a Seat dealer. Then last weekend, coming round a roundabout to join the motorway, and then chug chug chug....car dies. Just glad it didn't fail on me on the motorway, I dread to think the consequences.

Guess what? Another injector failure.

This is by far the most unreliable piece of crap car I've ever owned, I've had French cars that are more reliable. Soon as its fixed, it's being traded in. Will not touch any VAG group car again.

I think I'll be looking at Japanese cars now.

martin4044

It pays to complain

Just thought I would share this with you.
I had two injector failures within 10k miles of each other as my nearest Seat dealer is 40 miles away (I live in France) they were repaired at a local garage (cost 2200 euros) after the second failure the garage surgested that I contact Seat. This I have done and have now had all the injectors replaced at no cost and had a refund for the 2 failures that I had had previously.
Now thats what i call a result!

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
As I have just purchased my 08 FR I emailed Seat customer services to check if the car has had the injectors done.

There reply said they were pleased to say that there are no outstanding recalls or workshop actions required on my vehicle.

Not to sound stupid but I'm guessing this means the injectors have been done? :)

Last edited:

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
As I have just purchased my 08 FR I emailed Seat customer services to check if the car has had the injectors done.

There reply said they were pleased to say that there are no outstanding recalls or workshop actions required on my vehicle.

Not to sound stupid but I'm guessing this means the injectors have been done? :)

are you sure they said no recalls on your vehicle or on leons in general, they could just be being nobs and not admitting it

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
are you sure they said no recalls on your vehicle or on leons in general, they could just be being nobs and not admitting it

Yeah the email says......

Thank you for your email to SEAT UK customer services.

I am pleased to confirm that after checking our system, there are no outstanding recalls or workshop actions on your vehicle.

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

So hoping that means it is just my vehicle.

martin4044

It sounds like your car was fitted with the correct injectors in the first place
regards
Martin

jackkk258

After some info on what to look out on with the 170 FR diesel leon's, are the any common failures or anything which I should check up on?

I have heard of issues with some kind of filter on certain models, anyone know any more?

Looking for something economical after owning a modified mk1 Focus RS for the last 3.5 years, will miss the car and its power dearly but its time to start saving some money for an entry to the property market. What MPG can I realistically expect? Also what sort of power can be achieved with a basic remap? What are the popular mods?
------------------------

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
After some info on what to look out on with the 170 FR diesel leon's, are the any common failures or anything which I should check up on?

I have heard of issues with some kind of filter on certain models, anyone know any more?

Looking for something economical after owning a modified mk1 Focus RS for the last 3.5 years, will miss the car and its power dearly but its time to start saving some money for an entry to the property market. What MPG can I realistically expect? Also what sort of power can be achieved with a basic remap? What are the popular mods?
------------------------

Answer depends on which engine you are looking at

PD170 (2005-2009)
DPF Filter on these is a pain in the rear, clogs up easily most people go for a DPF delete (i had mine done)

With a Stage1 remap you can expect close to 200bhp but risk the DPF breaking even quicker.

DPF Delete can be performed, Stage 0 is simply hardware and software removal, Stage1 is hardware and software removal aswell as a Stage1 remap (Around 205-210), Stage2 is a more aggressive remap (Around 210-215bhp), Stage2+ (A map created by Shark) will get you around 220-230bhp but is far to smokey for road use (They dont actually offer this map anymore)

***Please note only a very select few can be trusted to do the DPF delete properly, the amount of people that get it done on the cheap and then have major issues, Trusted companies are Shark Performance, RS Tuning, Darkside Developments and Custom Code (Although Custom Code will fiddle your Rolling Road results so it makes 240bhp but its really putting out 200bhp***

Past there you need to look at either a hybrid turbo or bigger turbo, Kilner fitted a hybrid turbo first of all and found only one UK tuner would map the car for him (RS Tuning of Leeds), He has since fitted a GTB2260VK and is getting around 265bhp but needs injectors to get anymore power now.

CR170 (2009-2013)

Alot easier to tune!!!!

REVO, Sedox, Shark, CC Tuning, Darkside Developments all offer mapping for this engine, Stage1 and Stage2 (DPF Delete) are offered.

Alot better MPG, Cleaner burning aswell

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members