Leon FR PD170 TDi Injector problem

delboyuk2005uk

Jan 25, 2009
St Helens
I have been doing short journeys as am off work at the moment.

The dpf light came on but I was to ill to do the regen as am unwell.

So I left the car on the drive for a couple of days.

Now today I went to do the regen and after 5 mins a error came on the dash light saying engine workshop?

Now have I messed my car up? It's in limp mode is there anyway to get this sorted without going to a garage?

It's my fault I suppose for leaving the car on my drive without doing the regen ASAP.

Soon as it went into limp mode I came straight home.

hunts

Got quoted £375 from seat to fix or £2000 to replace sensor ! Went to a local garage and they reset it for £90. If problem comes back the sensor can be removed for £500. Hope this helps

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
Sensor is something around £50 from seat ...

Replacing DPF with cheap copy do not solve problem for long as capacity of copied DPFs are much lower ...

Senri

Just had my local mecanic cheking up my car as it just shot down yesterday. Scary when a car suddenly shuts down on highway!

Well it seems that its the injector that has caused it. now my question is, how many years do Seat offer warranty on injectors?? Someone say 5 years and some 7 years?

My car has just passed 5 years :( It is a FR 2008

delboyuk2005uk

Jan 25, 2009
St Helens
Just had call from garage!

They say the dpf needs cleaning and then re genning!

And takes about 5 hours to do.

Anyone know how much that will cost?

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
Do not let them to clean DPF ... This will not help at all forced regeneration should take no more than hour tops ...

DerbyForget

Apr 1, 2012
Burton on Trent, Staffs
What is it you need to know? I'm sure seat UK will have all the info, give them a call. It wasn't a dangerous fault. You can check your vehicles vin again through seat to ensure the recall has been carries out on yours

LordElric

Aug 30, 2006
Chalkida,Greece
I have faced problems with 3/4 injectors of my 2007 model in the past years and now they called me for recall of the fourth. Do you know if there is any problem with changing them one by one each time?

Last edited:

Co2

May 2, 2007
Just inquiring if a car i'm looking at buying has had the injectors replaced as the owner doesn't know

Check for a sticker on the boot, under the mat. At least around here they slap one in there along with the one the car has listing its characteristics providing info (campaign/recall number) that such parts were replaced.

I have faced problems with 3/4 injectors of my 2007 model in the past years and now they called me for recall of the fourth. Do you know if there is any problem with changing them one by one each time?

It shouldn't be done like that. The four injectors should be replaced at once if the service was being done has a recall/campaign service. If your dealer wasn't aware they may have changed one by one assuming it was an isolated failure.

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Really spooky I found this thread, last year I bought an A3 TDi 170 Quattro S-line, amazingly specced bit of kit...but an absolute nightmare!

It was a pure Friday afternoon car and long story short after having it 4 months and the garage spending about 4k on it try to fix with no joy, I gave it back, one of the problems was the beloved DPF!

I now have a MK1 Leon TDi FR 150 which although older was 1/3 of the cost and no hassle!

Had been recently toying with a MK2 Leon with the BTCC kit but from my experience and reading on here as well as audi-sport.net being full of the same it pretty much rules out an FR, A Golf 170 or another A3 170, such a shame as when good they are fine but just so many about with these issues.

Really feel for you all and hope someday they all get sorted :)

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Really spooky I found this thread, last year I bought an A3 TDi 170 Quattro S-line, amazingly specced bit of kit...but an absolute nightmare!

It was a pure Friday afternoon car and long story short after having it 4 months and the garage spending about 4k on it try to fix with no joy, I gave it back, one of the problems was the beloved DPF!

I now have a MK1 Leon TDi FR 150 which although older was 1/3 of the cost and no hassle!

Had been recently toying with a MK2 Leon with the BTCC kit but from my experience and reading on here as well as audi-sport.net being full of the same it pretty much rules out an FR, A Golf 170 or another A3 170, such a shame as when good they are fine but just so many about with these issues.

Really feel for you all and hope someday they all get sorted :)

Don't give up on the mk2 just yet mate, the CR is relatively problem free, it should be the 170 engine from 2008 onwards (mk6 not mk5 golf for instance)

bloody_typical

Aug 19, 2008
Anyone else had problems post injector change? I ask because the "replaced" injector on cylinder 4 failed, and according to my inde, caused overheating sufficient to knacker the cylinder and wreck the entire block. Oh, and for good measure, a piece of the piston broke off and got spat through the turbo! Getting in touch with Seat UK, but wondered if there are any similar experiences?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
I commented on this one as had an A3 170 Quattro which had a plethora of faults, it had the injectors done before I got it then there was an endless list of things which went wrong, I know DPF was playing up a lot and if you check the audi-sport.net forum there are lots of threads, some can be quite helpful as like on here too!

Co2

May 2, 2007
Hi didn't want to post earlier because I intended on reading the whole thread before doing so.

I too had my injectors changed.

Had a strange episode once, even created a thread about it, in which the engine seemed to be misfiring with a sound similar to knocking. The car was taken in to check what happened but there were no fault codes logged and after getting to the garage the engine resumed working as it normally had done so up until that moment. Therefore I cannot say if it was related to the older injectors.

The dealer alerted me about the recall when I went there for an unrelated situation.

Injectors were changed at around 62 thousand miles.

At the time the dealer also alerted that there was a software upgrade available. I declined the update at the time as I wanted the changes to be done one at a time so that if its behaviour changed negatively it would be easier to pin point.

The car had a quirk, from new, that I never really bothered to dissect. My experience told me it would take too much time and probably would never get a satisfactory answer. Dealers looked into into but never quite made it go away. When properly cold, initiating march, just in first gear, if the rpms were taken above say the 1800's then dropped and once again taken up the car would sometimes hick-up, even maintaining a steady throttle. I'm at a loss for a better description. He only made it in first gear. So much of the time, being it is a diesel, I just used first gear to get moving, then to second and it never hesitated. On harder accelerations of if the rpms were taken above 2000 there was no problem. DMF, injectors? I guess I'll never know.

Having the injectors changed I've instantly noticed a different behaviour. The car was way more lively and the overall mpg noticeable rose from 42 to 46.

The car was fine for some time. Then somewhere around late August I got a CEL with a clear prolonged regeneration going on. Took the car to the dealer the day after, had a fault on one of the DPF sensors. Got cleared and everything seemed fine. Tantrums I thought. The light came on a couple days later with same symptoms. Didn't thought much of it, let it do the regen and even helped by following the indicated procedure to help the filter in case the DPF light comes on (the DPF light never came on). Didn't even bother taking him into the dealer. In the meanwhile also got the famous cable and did a check for myself but there were no faults logged already. Kept an eye on the regen cycles for a while as I was worried that the injectors replacement could trigger DPF issues has it seems to have done to many.

Sorry for the wall of text but the story doesn't end here.

After all this the car started showing a different behaviour. Remember what I described about the hesitations in first gear above. It started doing it on all gears. More noticeable on the lower ones naturally. Some days it would start going nicely others it wouldn't. Some days I'd already be going on the highway and I'd feel a slight judder and the engine sound seemed to get slightly mute and there was a very faint drop in performance. It either did that right from the start or a bit after as I've said. As the engine got warmer I'd feel again a slight judder and everything got back to normal.

From what I could tell, on warmer days or after being let in the sun for some time it seemed that those issues weren't present. But I can't really tell. That left me dreading some electrical issues though. I also theorized that it was trying or doing some kind of mini regenerations, if such thing is programmed on to the ECU. Driving it harder seemed to create some extended gaps in between manifestations.

After owning it for six years one thing I already know. These are quirky engines. As long it didn't left me stranded, no lights and major faults showed up it could wait to be checked at a posterior service.

That's what happened. The pending software update was made as no mechanical issues were detected and guess what, I've got a completely different car. Absolutely different. So different I've even had to readjust the clutch operation. On the back of my head I always had a faint idea that those symptoms could be related to diesel starvation at cold. And if you ask me, among other possible corrections the newer software brought, a better injection map is one of them. The engine feels a lot livelier, gets going a whole lot better from standing still. Clutch feeling is a lot smoother and the engine itself is a lot smoother running. MPG seems to have had a minimal drop but that needs confirmation with more miles. I'm truly fascinated at how better it is behaving right now.

I'm fond of this injection map theory I've got because it suits well all the issues. Plus, many of the complaints about DPF issues after injector changes may be precisely caused by lower exhaust gases temperatures caused by the new and improved injectors. I noticed and clear rise in mpg, that could only mean they were more efficient but with it comes less diesel being used and therefore colder exhaust gases. The DPF relies in part on those to help with the cleaning process. Even my regens are a lot smoother now. That old "Ford Transit mode" is still there but a lot more civilized.

All in all, the software upgrade was a definite improvement.

If you happen to have any similar issues with the new injectors, drop by your dealer and check if there are any new versions available for your car.

Silent2010

Seat Leon FR 242.8 tdi
Feb 5, 2010
Cleveland
My Car is a Seat Leon MKII FR on a 56 plate it has just broken down doing around 55mph
The car just ground to a halt no warnings no error lights just engine cut out.

I hear there is a recall on this model and year for the Injectors and the wire loom can anyone confirm the codes below cover injector issue why the car has been recalled.
I need to know if the codes below are covered by the recall. I have ran vag-com and i get the following error messages.
If not can some one explain the power supply relay for the ECU?

Thank you

Power Supply relay for ECU (J271 OR J363)
P1517 -- 007 -- Electrical Malfunction - intermintantly

----------------
Supply voltage for fuel injector Group A
p2147 -- 009 -- short to Ground

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.