Leon FR TDI 150 Turbo Movement

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
I haven't looked at the video but simply, if there's small side to side movement then yes, if there's ANY in and out movement then no! Also was there any oil in either side of the turbo when it came off?

If you've replaced it then maybe get in touch with someone like Turbo Dynamics, Turbo Technics etc and see what they could offer you for it.

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
Thanks for that.

There was a little bit of oil outlet side but not an unusual amount considering the amount that gets chucked into the inlet via the CCV.

I replaced the turbo because it started making a police siren noise when starting up, but power was there still and the noise did disappear when it had warmed up to operating temp.

I had a close look at the blades on the inlet at the weekend and there are slight abrasions to the edges, which could account for the police siren noise, or is normally down to the main bearing failing?

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Some of that oil on the inlet side could also be a damaged thrust bearing, it can come out of either side or both if the turbo is well on it's way out.

From what I've read the siren noise is due to bearing failure but I couldn't say how that would affect the blades. If the bearing has failed though you may have had some side to side movement causing minimal contact with the turbine housing.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.